Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Gaelic Football had a transfer market, who would be most the valuable player?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

B.brogan would be the dearest for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I think to more accurately mirror a transfer market you have to factor in the age of these selections a bit more.
    In which case the likes of Micheal Murphy and Graham Reilly would have to be near the top of the pile.
    Bernard Brogans price would have peaked about two years ago, and he would have deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

corny wrote: »
    Seriously? Bernard Brogan won footballer of the year in 2010 when isolated up front with EOG. Cork put two men on him and he still ended up with 1-7. He'd nine (all from play) in the previous game against Tyrone. Fair play to you for finding a weakness in Gooch's game too. He's been a one man show his entire career.

According to a quick Wiki search Michael Murphy scored a grand total of two points from play last year. Colm McFadden was easily their most influential player.

For me its not even close.

Well Murphy scored 1-1 from play in the All Ireland final last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah there aren't many around smarter than Clarke, lovely footballer to watch. The very top echelon IMO.

Id agree with that. Can you imagine if he was around in the early '00s with that great Armagh squad.:eek:

Speaking of which - it points out a fundemantal flaw in the articles 'young players are more valuable' policy. In the sunny summer of 2002 - most Dubs were pissed off with Cluxton and his indiscretions. Roll forward nine years and he is kicking a point that brought sammy home.

Cluxto makes us tick - we have two quality back up keepers (one gave up playing pro in England), but when they play, we are not the same side.

Flynn, Berno and Clucko, when fit, are Dublins first three players on the teamsheet imho. And we shall get a few more years outta Cluxton. We shall miss him when hes gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Id agree with that. Can you imagine if he was around in the early '00s with that great Armagh squad.:eek:

Speaking of which - it points out a fundemantal flaw in the articles 'young players are more valuable' policy. In the sunny summer of 2002 - most Dubs were pissed off with Cluxton and his indiscretions. Roll forward nine years and he is kicking a point that brought sammy home.

Cluxto makes us tick - we have two quality back up keepers (one gave up playing pro in England), but when they play, we are not the same side.

Flynn, Berno and Clucko, when fit, are Dublins first three players on the teamsheet imho. And we shall get a few more years outta Cluxton. We shall miss him when hes gone.

Don't worry boss, Cake is still smacking over frees (or at least trying to convince Frankie to let him take line balls) at 42 so Clux will probably be making incredibly forced speeches for a few years yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My way of looking at it, richest "club" would be Dublin. So highest transfers would be paid by them. They would probably look to Ulster and Munster for experienced players and their own province for young players.
    To take a top player away from Kerry would probably demand the highest transfer fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My big criticism of Armagh from those years was that they often ran out of ideas. When a few points behind with 15 mins to go they were trying the long ball into space and players moved out of position. Was it the semi against Dublin that Ronan Clarke was out injured?... not sure. But they lacked a creative player that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fiery biscuits

I think in terms of being valuable, for me it has to be Colm Cooper even despite his age. He is the same age as Robin Van Persie and look at how valuable he was. Gooch is the best player of his generation IMO.

If its a valuable transfer based on current ability and potential, I would be inclined to say somebody like Jamie Clarke, Michael Murphy or Biggy Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

Felexicon wrote: »
    Graham "Biggie" Reilly should be top of the list to be fair.

He has everything you'd want in a footballer. He's fast, physical, has a huge engine, can play anywhere from 5 to 15, has a great eye for a score.

Alot of the players mentioned in the list ( Brogan, Murphy etc) are far too one dimensional to be considered that valueable

BB is strong, quick, can win ball, has good hands, can create chances for others and can kick off both feet.. Can you please explain how he is one dimensional?
    Oh wait, just saw your location :P

I haven't a clue where all this Graham Reilly love is coming from. I genuinely had to Google his name to make sure people were talking about the Meath player and not some guy I zoned out on.

A good player with upside but I could think of a load of players I'd be take before I'd get to him (it's verging on blasphemy putting him in the Gooch/Clarke discussion) and even then there's plenty I'd have on at least the same level as him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭The Rooster

While he's far from infallible, Berrnard Brogan is a scoring machine, and that puts him right up there in terms of the most valuable player in GAA at the moment in my opinion. His scoring rate in the league has been super, and while a good chunk has come from frees, they still need to be kicked over:

Cork 0-6
    Kerry 0-7
    Mayo 1-10
    Kildare 1-5
    Mayo (SF) 0-5
    Tyrone (F) 0-5

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

My big criticism of Armagh from those years was that they often ran out of ideas. When a few points behind with 15 mins to go they were trying the long ball into space and players moved out of position. Was it the semi against Dublin that Ronan Clarke was out injured?... not sure. But they lacked a creative player that day.

Actually the long ball for Armagh back then was a weapon of choice, and a very effective one at that.

In 2002 Ronan Clarke, as a 19 year old, was virtually unplayable, giving roastings to Paddy Christie, Chris Lawn and Seamus Moynihan - the three nominees for that years All Star full back - and that included under the high ball which enabled both him and Stevie to accmulate a lot of scores.

Ronan Clarke was a wonderful player whose career was (and indeed continues to be) blighted by serious injury.

If I was to critically analyse that team it would be that we had then an exceptional team, but not an exceptional squad, and those lack of alternatives were our undoing on a number of big days. The thought of another scoring option like Jamie Clarke with that team would be mouth watering - that much coveted second All Ireland would have been in the bag long ago.

Ah well.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

My list.

1. Stephen O'Neill
    2. Michael Murphy
    3. Colm Cooper
    4. Bernard Brogan
    5. Declan O'Sullivan
    6. Seán Cavanagh
    7. John Doyle
    8. Colm McFadden
    9. Karl Lacey
    10. Aidan Walsh

Forwards will always cost the most in any transfer market hence why they dominate my list.

At 6, he has, Sean Cavanagh.....only post to mention him yet.....even as a Donegal man, as far as I am concerned, he is worth millions, fully fit....miles ahead of everyone else...

shiibata wrote: »
    At 6, he has, Sean Cavanagh.....only post to mention him yet.....even as a Donegal man, as far as I am concerned, he is worth millions, fully fit....miles ahead of everyone else...

Sean C is one of the best attacking footballers playing the sport and while he's never slow to come back in defence his game is still unbalanced in that teams know to attack his channel going forward because he's a pretty poor tackler and he isn't the greatest fielder of the ball. Get him the ball in stride, though, and he'll go by or through anyone.

I think AOS is the prototype of what you want from a midfielder but even saying all that I'd probably only take AOS and Aidan Walsh before Cavanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Does anyone else struggle to understand this love-in for Cluxton that seems to be everywhere? He is a good goalkeeper but a goalkeeper is only as good as the team in front of him.Would he be as lauded if he was playing with the likes of Mayo or Donegal?I dont think he would. In my opinion Gary Connaughtan is the best goalkeeper in the country followed closely by Paul Durkan. Comments about Cluxtons kickouts being deadly also annoy me as I can remember many times when the pressure was on, his kickouts going over the sideline. One of the best goalkeepers in the country but not one of the best players IMO

qwerty93 wrote: »
    He is a good goalkeeper but a goalkeeper is only as good as the team in front of him. Would he be as lauded if he was playing with the likes of Mayo or Donegal?I dont think he would.

Would Gooch be as lauded if he was with Carlow? Cavanagh if he was with Leitrim? I don't know - all we can do is go on the evidence of our eyes and for me Cluxton is a truely great player, not least becuse of his ability to influence huge games in the white heat of battle - that can be through great saves, distributing calmly when a calm head is needed, or slotting a point under the most intense of pressure.

I still reckon O'Leary is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen, but only he and Billy Morgan would run him close IMHO.

Would Gooch be as lauded if he was with Carlow? Cavanagh if he was with Leitrim? I don't know - all we can do is go on the evidence of our eyes and for me Cluxton is a truely great player, not least becuse of his ability to influence huge games in the white heat of battle - that can be through great saves, distributing calmly when a calm head is needed, or slotting a point under the most intense of pressure.

I still reckon O'Leary is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen, but only he and Billy Morgan would run him close IMHO.

No he wouldn be as lauded with the likes of Carlow because chances are he would never play in an all ireland final but he would hav been recgognised as one of the country's top footballers in the same way Brendan Murphy and Emlyn Mulligan are. I agree Cluxon is a great player but I dont think he influenecs games as much as some people like to think he does, IMO Rory O Carroll is the bst full back in the country and Cluxton should count his blessings for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What I would like to know is how much they would be worth?

Leaving out all the business around loyalties and they fact he wouldnt move etc, if Dublin were putting in a bid for Gooch, how much would he be worth?

€20k?
    €200k?
    €1million?

You appear then to have answered the question you yourself originally posed.
    Does anyone else struggle to understand this love-in for Cluxton that seems to be everywhere? He is a good goalkeeper but a goalkeeper is only as good as the team in front of him.Would he be as lauded if he was playing with the likes of Mayo or Donegal?I dont think he would.

No he wouldn be as lauded with the likes of Carlow because chances are he would never play in an all ireland final but he would hav been recgognised as one of the country's top footballers in the same way Brendan Murphy and Emlyn Mulligan are.

Given that you have conceded he is a great player, you seem to be on the verge of overcoming the struggle to understand the love-in for Cluxton. I have to say also that you do yourself no favours by linking Cluxton's prowess to ROC at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

What I would like to know is how much they would be worth?

Leaving out all the business around loyalties and they fact he wouldnt move etc, if Dublin were putting in a bid for Gooch, how much would he be worth?

€20k?
    €200k?
    €1million?
    Impossible to say as there is no revenue figures to base it against.

Are we saying that county teams have turnovers similar to that of Premier League clubs?

If that's the case Cooper is worth around 25m (same as United paid for RVP) as he's probably the most potent scorer in the country on his day

• Advertisement

Given that you have conceded he is a great player, you seem to be on the verge of overcoming the struggle to understand the love-in for Cluxton. I have to say also that you do yourself no favours by linking Cluxton's prowess to ROC at full back.
    I often think that if Cluxton didn't take the 45s for Dublin, the average fan and in turn the media (as the write for the average fan most of the time) would not notice his performances as much.

But saying that, the huge lift Dublin get from the Hill when Cluxton puts one over the black spot cannot be denied either.

If I was starting a team I would find it hard to name anyone else as my number 1 bar maybe Paddy O'Rourke but I'm fierce biased like that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He started taking 45s what, two years ago and already had multiple All Stars? He was noted from the very beginning of his career as being a terrific distributor, which he is. He's a great goalkeeper.

Neil Gallagher from Louth would be my shout for most underrated goalie around, he's superb.

I never said that Cooper was a better player than the likes of Brendan Murphy, if there was a team as good as the Kery team of the lae 00's around Murphy then ,who knows? I Fully acknowledge that Cluxton is a good keeper but his kickouts that have been much lauded during the years have sometimes contributed to Dublins downfall in big games, i.e rushing his kickouts and letting them go over the sideline. I put the last sentence you wrote in bold because i dont really understand what you mean by doing no favours here? Surely by having such a solid full back in front of you it would only improve youre defensive recod and make you look better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Imagine what Declan Browne would have been worth??? Imagine him gooch and ciaran mcdonald on the same forward line.

my mouth is watering at the outcome.

Emlyn Mulligan is the name that hasn't been mentioned but genuinely deserves to be. I'd only place him a step off Gooch and Clarke, same sort of build, vision and talent, and indeed he has the bonus of being a very good free-taker, something that Clarke doesn't have in his arsenal.

Really, really underrated because the country at large rarely gets to see him. You could place him in Gooch's role for Kerry right now and there wouldn't be a large drop off in production. I don't say those words lightly because Gooch is probably the finest footballer of the last decade and a half in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

Seanie Johnston

platypus wrote: »
    Seanie Johnston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've been watching football since the mid nineties and Cuxton is the best goalie I have seen.He doesnt really have a weakness, top class kickouts and his brilliance at shorter kickouts has led to more being expected of goalies everywhere, brilliant shot stopper and even better at coming of his line and narrowng the angle and making goals almost impossible, he commands his square as good as any goalie I have seen and his freetaking is an added bonus.He is a brilliant reader of the game as well and is a complete goalkeeper some goalies are brilliant at one aspect of goalkeeping and lacking in others he is brilliant in all aspects of the position in my opinion.After his career Cluxton will deservedly be remembered as one of the all time greats.

I've been watching football since the mid nineties and Cuxton is the best goalie I have seen.He doesnt really have a weakness, top class kickouts and his brilliance at shorter kickouts has led to more being expected of goalies everywhere, brilliant shot stopper and even better at coming of his line and narrowng the angle and making goals almost impossible, he commands his square as good as any goalie I have seen and his freetaking is an added bonus.He is a brilliant reader of the game as well and is a complete goalkeeper some goalies are brilliant at one aspect of goalkeeping and lacking in others he is brilliant in all aspects of the position in my opinion.After his career Cluxton will deservedly be remembered as one of the all time greats.

As biased as hell but for me people need to start crediting Cake with the whole trend towards keepers taking frees and really honing the art of reading the field for kickout options and varying deliveries. So many seem to credit Clux with popularising those things but it was Cake that began the modern trend towards the new ideal for keepers and he deserves more than to be remembered simply as a great 'character', but as a great keeper and one of the biggest pioneers at the position in decades.

This was a man who played LoI for Athlone Town too so I think it's very rash to proclaim Cluxton or indeed any keeper 'the best in X number of years' because it's the position that's easiest to ignore when things are going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Syferus wrote: »
    Emlyn Mulligan is the name that hasn't been mentioned but genuinely deserves to be. I'd only place him a step off Gooch and Clarke, same sort of build, vision and talent, and indeed he has the bonus of being a very good free-taker, something that Clarke doesn't have in his arsenal.

Really, really underrated because the country at large rarely gets to see him. You could place him in Gooch's role for Kerry right now and there wouldn't be a large drop off in production. I don't say those words lightly because Gooch is probably the finest footballer of the last decade and a half in my eyes.

I couldn't disagree more.

Like you, I'm from Roscommon, so I've seen a fair bit of Mulligan over the years and in my opinion it's a case of 'in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king'. If he was in Kerry he wouldn't even make the panel, not to mind being close to Gooch. That's completely nuts.

He's a quite a good footballer, but really that's it.

Advertisement