Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Gaelic Football had a transfer market, who would be most the valuable player?

Options
  • 27-04-2013 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Joe.ie say Michael Murphy would be, followed by Lacey, Aidan O'Shea and Bernard Brogan, what ye think lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Definately Mick Murphy... the hurling equivalent of Joe Canning. Can turn a game by himself. IMO, i wouldnt have Bernard Brogan near it. Declan O'Sullivan in Kerry, Colm O'Neill (before the injury) or Aidan Walsh in Cork i'd rank ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Walsh was ranked 7th.

Top ten on Joe.ie is:

10. Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
    9. Bryan Sheehan (Kerry)
    8. Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
    7. Aidan Walsh (Cork)
    6. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
    5. Jamie Clarke (Armagh)
    4. Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
    3. Aidan O’Shea (Mayo)
    2. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
    1. Michael Murphy (Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

You can only look cross-eyed at a list that has Bryan Sheehan at 9 but Gooch is no where to be seen and a lad who can count his championship startsfor his county on a single digit at 8 (and don't tell me it's some sort of insurance policy on what he can become, there's far surer bets out there). It's pretty easy to tell which team's games the writer attends.

Murphy is very good but the love has went overboard since Donegal won the AI and even then in most of those matches he was only Donegal's second most important forward. The best thing that ever happened to Murphy was having a madman like McGuiness to drive him to a level of fitness very few players his size reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Bit of a nonsense list, but presumably the most valuable would be forwards as scores win matches.
    Murphy, Brogan or Gooch. (perhaps age might preclude the Gooch, but in his day he'd be the one they all would want)
    McFadden from Donegal is another class forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

I know they're pushing on in age but Bernard Brogan or Gooch for me.

Certainly both are far more influential for their teams than Murphy is for Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'm not sure.
    Isn't the entire Donegal strategy based on having two forwards who can win their own ball, and score.

Not sure Brogan or Gooch would be as effective if they were as isolated up front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

I'm not sure.
    Isn't the entire Donegal strategy based on having two forwards who can win their own ball, and score.

Not sure Brogan or Gooch would be as effective if they were as isolated up front.

Brogan won the 2010 player of the year award after playing most of the championship up front with Eoin O'Gara.

Its a role he has proven he can excel at.

Cluxton should be in that list imho.

His kickouts and shot stopping skills are near perfection. His freekicks aint too shabby either;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Seriously? Bernard Brogan won footballer of the year in 2010 when isolated up front with EOG. Cork put two men on him and he still ended up with 1-7. He'd nine (all from play) in the previous game against Tyrone. Fair play to you for finding a weakness in Gooch's game too. He's been a one man show his entire career.

According to a quick Wiki search Michael Murphy scored a grand total of two points from play last year. Colm McFadden was easily their most influential player.

For me its not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Syferus wrote: »
    You can only look cross-eyed at a list that has Bryan Sheehan at 9 but Gooch is no where to be seen and a lad who can count his championship startsfor his county on a single digit at 8 (and don't tell me it's some sort of insurance policy on what he can become, there's far surer bets out there). It's pretty easy to tell which team's games the writer attends.

Murphy is very good but the love has went overboard since Donegal won the AI and even then in most of those matches he was only Donegal's second most important forward. The best thing that ever happened to Murphy was having a madman like McGuiness to drive him to a level of fitness very few players his size reach.

I found the Bryan Sheehan ranking especially amusing as there is a serious chance he might not be in Kerry's starting 15 in the Championship given the way Buckley has been performing in the league - he's been close enough to Kerry's best player in every league game he's played, kicking some stunning long distance points. When you compare his levels of performance to how Sheehan has performed for Kerry this year it's a no-brainer at this stage. Unless Sheehan really turns it around between now and the first game of the Championship , it will be Maher and Buckley starting midfield for Kerry.

The fact is that Gooch is 29 (I think some people think he's a few years older because he has been around so long) Not beyond the bounds of possibility that he could easily have another 5 Championships left in him, especially if he maintains his policy of resting through the league. Writing off one of the top scorers of all-time (I think only Matt Connor has scored more than him in the Championship) due to age at 29 seems a bit rash.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The fact is that Gooch is 29 (I think some people think he's a few years older because he has been around so long) Not beyond the bounds of possibility that he could easily have another 5 Championships left in him, especially if he maintains his policy of resting through the league. Writing off one of the top scorers of all-time (I think only Matt Connor has scored more than him in the Championship) due to age at 29 seems a bit rash.

I think it's more to do with mileage on the clock rather than his age, but no doubt I would pay more to see Gooch play than any other footballer since Maurice Fitz. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is just a list of high profile players. If there were transfers I'd be looking at players like Brendan Murphy, Niall McNamee, Kilbride, Ciaran McDonald etc. Pretty lazy stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

1. Gooch
    2. Brogan
    3. M. Murphy
    4. Cluxton
    5. Marc o shea

The rest are much of muchness. Aidan o Shea is better at ff for me. Thomas is too old. Donegal are a team, not individuals, same as cork and Kildare.

Take gooch out of Kerry and they lost every league game. They won every game he played.

Anyone that has sheehan and Kilkenny ahead of these players is a moron.

Also, the authors assertion that a 19 year old Rooney is better than a 27. Year old Rooney? . Not in the real world, this guys been playing too many championship manager games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Ciaran Sheehan of Cork, I'm suprised he has not got a mention. Still he is only 23 and we have still to see the best of him.Only for injuries he would be of been a star the last two years.
    He has pace,strength,athleticsim,and a superb kick passer of the ball,and a good reader of the game.
    Not only can he score from long distance,but he creates other scores for other players also.
    Against Donegal in last years All Ireland Semi final he scored 3 points but he also created so many scores for others.He gave the pass for O Neill's goal.He is the type of player that not only can kick a pass,but he see's a pass that is on that other players don't.
    He could play anywhere from midfield up,and would be not be out of place in either of those positions.
    He has so much football he could even make a top class centre back,such is the modern role nowdays.
    He has played for Club at centre back.
    He would make any county team.
    He's main weakness is he is injury prone unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

My list.

1. Stephen O'Neill
    2. Michael Murphy
    3. Colm Cooper
    4. Bernard Brogan
    5. Declan O'Sullivan
    6. Seán Cavanagh
    7. John Doyle
    8. Colm McFadden
    9. Karl Lacey
    10. Aidan Walsh

Forwards will always cost the most in any transfer market hence why they dominate my list.

1. Gooch
    2. Brogan
    3. M. Murphy
    4. Cluxton
    5. Marc o shea

The rest are much of muchness. Aidan o Shea is better at ff for me. Thomas is too old. Donegal are a team, not individuals, same as cork and Kildare.

Take gooch out of Kerry and they lost every league game. They won every game he played.

Anyone that has sheehan and Kilkenny ahead of these players is a moron.

Also, the authors assertion that a 19 year old Rooney is better than a 27. Year old Rooney? . Not in the real world, this guys been playing too many championship manager games.
    Cluxton?

Gerrupoutathat..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Cluxton?

Gerrupoutathat..

Yes. Cluxton.

His kick outs are accurate, his save stats over every season he has played are exceptional and on top of that he had the bottle to kick a point to win an all ireland two minutes into injury time with 83,000 people screaming at him.

Do you know any other players that have been in that situation in the last ten years in an all ireland final?

and I am a Kerry man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Yes. Cluxton.

His kick outs are accurate, his save stats over every season he has played are exceptional and on top of that he had the bottle to kick a point to win an all ireland two minutes into injury time with 83,000 people screaming at him.

Do you know any other players that have been in that situation in the last ten years in an all ireland final?

and I am a Kerry man.
    Not agreeing or disagreeing with your views on Cluxton but Daniel Goulding was in a similar position as he was under immense pressure in the final in 2010 with a 45'he scored with normal time up.Okay Cork were two ahead,but that was their was just as much pressure on him,miss that and a goal below and Cork were beaten.Their was still two minutes injury time left as he kicked the 45.Their was 20 years weight of expectation on him also.
    As it turned out,two late Down points in injury time proved how crucial it was.
    That was in front of a nearly full Croke Park as well .
    Goulding got 6 from seven placed balls that day,only missed one,and at that it just dropped short in to the hands of the Goalkeeper.

Yes. Cluxton.

and I am a Kerry man.
    Other than Cluxton, no I haven't so we'll never know who has the bottle will we?

Bit of a silly question TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

corny wrote: »
    Seriously? Bernard Brogan won footballer of the year in 2010 when isolated up front with EOG. Cork put two men on him and he still ended up with 1-7. He'd nine (all from play) in the previous game against Tyrone. Fair play to you for finding a weakness in Gooch's game too. He's been a one man show his entire career.

According to a quick Wiki search Michael Murphy scored a grand total of two points from play last year. Colm McFadden was easily their most influential player.

For me its not even close.

Ah wikipedia living up to its reputation for being very unreliable. Not sure what Murphy scored from play last year, but without even being the closest watcher of inter county football (and particularly not Donegal) I can clearly remember him scoring a goal in the All-Ireland final. Having a player that can change a game like that is probably what would be valued most in a transfer market. Not saying he'd be the most valuable but certainly he'd be up there.

And age is surely a factor, he's only 24 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ah wikipedia living up to its reputation for being very unreliable. Not sure what Murphy scored from play last year, but without even being the closest watcher of inter county football (and particularly not Donegal) I can clearly remember him scoring a goal in the All-Ireland final. Having a player that can change a game like that is probably what would be valued most in a transfer market. Not saying he'd be the most valuable but certainly he'd be up there.

And age is surely a factor, he's only 24 this year.
    He's talking about points though??

And I wouldn't say he's far off. I remember he had scored something ridiculously little going into the AI final. He's clearly an exceptional player, but I can't see how anyone would have him down as the most valuable GAA player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

THFC wrote: »
    He's talking about points though??

And I wouldn't say he's far off. I remember he had scored something ridiculously little going into the AI final. He's clearly an exceptional player, but I can't see how anyone would have him down as the most valuable GAA player.
    Maybe he was, probably unfair though to leave out a goal as important as that though when assessing his performance/ability. How you view his actual abilities would probably be more important rather than looking simply at how much they scored in a particular year. Joe Canning scored something like 1-5 from play in the three meaningful games in 2009, and even less I would imagine against Waterford and Dublin in 2011. Yet, he would be by far and away the most valuable player in a transfer market in hurling.

For me Gooch and Brogan are better forwards, but the way transfer markets work I could see Murphy's getting a higher fee on account of his age and experience for someone so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Very pleased that our absolute mediocrity has not prevented Jamie Clarke's greatness from being recognised - even if it is just a bit of harmless fun designed to generate a bit of discussion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Very pleased that our absolute mediocrity has not prevented Jamie Clarke's greatness from being recognised - even if it is just a bit of harmless fun designed to generate a bit of discussion. :)

Probably the only forward more elusive than Gooch. There's no more talented a forward in Ireland but there are forwards who can use their physicality in ways Clarke can't and that brings them closer to him overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I can't believe Cluxton isn't on that list.

Definitely the most valuable keeper if there was such a market and worth more than a lot of outfield free takers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lapin wrote: »
    I can't believe Cluxton isn't on that list.

Definitely the most valuable keeper if there was such a market and worth more than a lot of outfield free takers too.

He was at No.19, and was the only keeper on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Cluxton is 31 and a goalkeeper. Nobody is doubting his ability but if it's value you're talking about then forwards are always going to be far more valuable, particularly young forwards. If predicted value on a fictional transfer market is the criteria for the list then obviously people like Michael Murphy, Aidan O'Shea, Aidan Walsh, Jamie Clarke etc. will dominate. Others who around their prime (typically ~27) will also be prevalent such as Gooch, Bernard Brogan, Karl Lacey

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Syferus wrote: »
    Probably the only forward more elusive than Gooch. There's no more talented a forward in Ireland but there are forwards who can use their physicality in ways Clarke can't and that brings them closer to him overall.

A lot of truth in that - Jamie obviously lacks in the physical stakes - he once famously stated (well it's famous around our way :D) that he wouldn't do weights training because if he bulked himself up, his skinny jeans would no longer fit!!

When I watch Jamie though, I'm always reminded about how martial arts experts talk about using the greater physical strength of opponents to their advantage. Jamie is absolutely expert at being able to use his body to shield the ball and turn opponents on a sixpence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah there aren't many around smarter than Clarke, lovely footballer to watch. The very top echelon IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Graham "Biggie" Reilly should be top of the list to be fair.

He has everything you'd want in a footballer. He's fast, physical, has a huge engine, can play anywhere from 5 to 15, has a great eye for a score.

Alot of the players mentioned in the list ( Brogan, Murphy etc) are far too one dimensional to be considered that valueable

Advertisement