Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coalition given straight A's

Options
  • 26-04-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Today Enda Kenny gave himself and his Government cohorts, straight A's, when asked to assess their performance in office. He also claimed that FF were exclusively responsible for the countries financial collapse.

I'm just wondering what marvellous motions did any of them table while in opposition, that could have even helped avert our current economic woes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A is for Assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Slick50 wrote: »
    Today Enda Kenny gave himself and his Government cohorts, straight A's, when asked to assess their performance in office. He also claimed that FF were exclusively responsible for the countries financial collapse.

I'm just wondering what marvellous motions did any of them table while in opposition, that could have even helped avert our current economic woes.

Well to be fair he is half right...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well considering the absolute mess that FG/Labour inherited then maybe Enda is right to credit the Government. Nothing that the current Government does will be right by many people as the public wanted a miraculous cure to all that FF caused. Credit has to be given to the Government for tackling an almost impossible situation and trying to put things right.

Meanwhile FF are having their backslapping Ard Fheis telling each other how wonderful they all are and dreaming up ways of finishing what they started..... ruining the country and selling us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Well considering the absolute mess that FG/Labour inherited then maybe Enda is right to credit the Government. Nothing that the current Government does will be right by many people as the public wanted a miraculous cure to all that FF caused. Credit has to be given to the Government for tackling an almost impossible situation and trying to put things right.

While still looking after the elite ...:rolleyes:

While still looking after the elite ...:rolleyes:

Agreed, there lots of things that are wrong but the economy needs to be fixed. FG is keeping the cozy status quo, but if things get better, then voters will expect that it addresses the reforms it promised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Agreed, there lots of things that are wrong but the economy needs to be fixed. FG is keeping the cozy status quo, but if things get better, then voters will expect that it addresses the reforms it promised.

You're either utterly naive or part of the elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mañana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

Well since the present government took office they have never accepted responsibility for anything.

Also Enda promised a review of cabinet ministers during the life of the government and to get rid of the useless ones.

It seems that Jim Reilly who is the worst minister I remember is doing ok in Endas eyes. Also, Alan Shatter has created the most difficult environment between the judges and the government [same goes for the gardai].

I could go on but I am losing the will to type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

Meanwhile FF are having their backslapping Ard Fheis telling each other how wonderful they all are and dreaming up ways of finishing what they started..... ruining the country and selling us out.

no it doesn't. who would have thought enda would have time to create a boards account. its getting pathetic that while making a statement about how good the government is doing enda has to keep harking back to the f.f government. how long can they keep this up for. time to man up do what he promised to do in his election promises. he hasn't created one job, infact he has created an atmosphere an situation were the possibility for job creation is zero. add that to claims of victories at the e.u/e.c.b which are in fact nothing but smoke screens. enda is a gutless wonder

you just reminded me of the five point plan and "get Ireland working"
    not to mention "burn the bondholders"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

What I'm asking though is... what initiatives or motions did either FG or LB come up with (in the previous decade while FF were f*cking up the economy) that could have helped avert this disaster.?... before they got into power.

As for what they are at now... they are patting themselves on the back for implementing FF policies, but blame them for the distasteful aspects. How often have we heard "our hands are tied"

You're either utterly naive or part of the elite

Certainly not the latter, lol. If utterly naive = Pragmatism and realism in view of the situation we are in then that is what I am.

What I'm asking though is... what initiatives or motions did either FG or LB come up with (in the previous decade while FF were f*cking up the economy) that could have helped avert this disaster.?... before they got into power.

As for what they are at now... they are patting themselves on the back for implementing FF policies, but blame them for the distasteful aspects. How often have we heard "our hands are tied"

Would you not agree that stabilization of the economy is priority and then try to create jobs? 2 years is not nearly long enough to get all things right. Would you not also agree, that there is a fair amount of truth in that The Governments hands are tied, so long as we are involved with the Troika and until we are a sovereign nation again?

if thats the case then all the pre elections promises were lies

Would you not agree that stabilization of the economy is priority and then try to create jobs? 2 years is not nearly long enough to get all things right. Would you not also agree that there is a fair amount of truth in that The Governments hands are tied so long as we are involved with the Troika and we are a sovereign nation again?
    Why are you posting if you won't address the question? That is a rhetorical question.

dh0011 wrote: »
    if thats the case then all the pre elections promises were lies

Not necessarily true as this Government could be in office for 2 more years to fulfill these promises. I personally never believe Politicians promises, no matter from whom or whatever party.

Why are you posting if you won't address the question? That is a rhetorical question.

For one neither were in power but they were just as culpable IMO for not voicing opposition to FF. Who wanted to hear bad news or spoil the party? The public partied as well on their own volition. Having said that the problem was created and the current lot are attempting to deal with it. There is no magic wand or is it pain free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Would you not agree that stabilization of the economy is priority and then try to create jobs? 2 years is not nearly long enough to get all things right. Would you not also agree, that there is a fair amount of truth in that The Governments hands are tied, so long as we are involved with the Troika and until we are a sovereign nation again?

Would you consider that increased job creation = more taxes, and less welfare payments, therefore contributing to economic stabilization?

Genuine question, and I'm not trying to answer for anyone else.

For one neither were in power but they were just as culpable IMO for not voicing opposition to FF.
    No sh*t Sherlock.... the clue was in the question
    Who wanted to hear bad news or spoil the party?
    If there had been reasonable control within the banking sector, it wouldn't have been bad news, the economy would still have thrived. The difference would have been, house prices would not have ballooned the way they did, and the whole system would not have imploded. The powers that be, within europe, have come up with brilliant new ideas for banking, like checking if the person they are lending money to will be able to repay it.???? Duh!
    The public partied as well on their own volition.
    The old "we're all to blame, so no one's to blame."
    Not necessarily true as this Government could be in office for 2 more years to fulfill these promises.
    So they may repeal the LPT within this term?.. No property tax was one of FG election promises.
    I personally never believe Politicians promises, no matter from whom or whatever party.
    How do you decide who to vote for then.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

For one neither were in power but they were just as culpable IMO for not voicing opposition to FF. Who wanted to hear bad news or spoil the party? The public partied as well on their own volition. Having said that the problem was created and the current lot are attempting to deal with it. There is no magic wand or is it pain free.

They were in power in the county councils and there they did everything possible to whip on an unsustainable housing boom in the face of all economic sense. In many ways FG are as culpable in the mess as FF.

Why did they vote in huge rezonings without ever taking into account space for recreation, services such as schools and clinics, commuting infrastructure and so on.

And by the way FG are still involved in despicable rezonings, this is one where they have agreed to build a petrol station on a floodplain on the banks of the Shannon (I live 8 miles away), in a town with 3-4 stations already that doesn't need another one. BTW the land is owned by a FG councillor.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    They were in power in the county councils and there they did everything possible to whip on an unsustainable housing boom in the face of all economic sense. In many ways FG are as culpable in the mess as FF.

Why did they vote in huge rezonings without ever taking into account space for recreation, services such as schools and clinics, commuting infrastructure and so on.

And by the way FG are still involved in despicable rezonings, this is one where they have agreed to build a petrol station on a floodplain on the banks of the Shannon (I live 8 miles away), in a town with 3-4 stations already that doesn't need another one. BTW the land is owned by a FG councillor.

You may have missed this bit in my post.

Originally Posted by Mr.Micro
    For one neither were in power but they were just as culpable IMO for not voicing opposition to FF.

No sh*t Sherlock.... the clue was in the question
    If there had been reasonable control within the banking sector, it wouldn't have been bad news, the economy would still have thrived. The difference would have been, house prices would not have ballooned the way they did, and the whole system would not have imploded. The powers that be, within europe, have come up with brilliant new ideas for banking, like checking if the person they are lending money to will be able to repay it.???? Duh!The old "we're all to blame, so no one's to blame."
    So they may repeal the LPT within this term?.. No property tax was one of FG election promises.How do you decide who to vote for then.?

There was no regulation of the Banking sector, despite there being a regulator in office. FF were in a frenzy with the housing bubble and nobody was going to spoil their party. FG as I have stated, could have done more and were just as culpable in not being more vociferous in opposition. The whole financial system was rotten to the core and we are still waiting to discover the ( if ever) the true extent of the financial crisis via Anglo and the rest. Any warnings were ignored by Cowen and the Dept of Finance did nothing. I doubt if any opposition would have made any difference when the whole structure was rotten.

I vote for the party that I think can fix the country or will try and do the right thing. What choice did people have in the last election, FG/Labour or FF again. The latter was no option even for the extreme optimist. Promises made by politicians are just that. The clue is in the word politician.

There was no regulation of the Banking sector, despite there being a regulator in office. FF were in a frenzy with the housing bubble and nobody was going to spoil their party. FG as I have stated, could have done more and were just as culpable in not being more vociferous in opposition. The whole financial system was rotten to the core and we are still waiting to discover the ( if ever) the true extent of the financial crisis via Anglo and the rest. Any warnings were ignored by Cowen and the Dept of Finance did nothing. I doubt if any opposition would have made any difference when the whole structure was rotten.
    That kind of contradicts Enda's assertion that it's exclusively FF's fault.
    I vote for the party that I think can fix the country or will try and do the right thing
    Yes, but how do you decide this, when you can't believe any of them.
    The clue is in the word politician.
    Really! :rolleyes:

That kind of contradicts Enda's assertion that it's exclusively FF's fault.

Not really, in that FF as the Government were responsible for regulation via the Regulator and the Dept of Finance and allowed the boom to continue, even inflamed it.
    Yes, but how do you decide this, when you can't believe any of them.

As I posted, it was FF or FG/Lab. The former had destroyed the country so someone else had to be put in to try and sort it, hence FG/Lab. The choice is so limited. As people get fed up with FG/Lab they may return to FF, not because they believe any of its bull, just because its the way it goes. Sad and pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You may have missed this bit in my post.

Nope, I didn't miss your point. You said....
    but they were just as culpable IMO for not voicing opposition to FF.
    I said that in councils they were not in opposition, they were in power, and where they were in power they did everything possible to flame the housing bubble and build communities without facilities or services. So they are as culpable of FF in many many ways for the bubble that occured. And as we know, and as we were forewarned bubbles burst.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Nope, I didn't miss your point. You said....

I said that in councils they were not in opposition, they were in power, and where they were in power they did everything possible to flame the housing bubble and build communities without facilities or services. So they are as culpable of FF in many many ways for the bubble that occured. And as we know, and as we were forewarned bubbles burst.

I absolutely agree with you, that at local level they were all in it. In this County there was no difference between FF, FG or Labour when it came to rezoning and planning applications. For once all differences were put aside in the pursuit of greed. I am sure the same occurred throughout the country.

Now Enda is promoting the abolition of the seanad, citing it's ineffectiveness to prevent the economic boom and bust as one reason. Yet not even the most ardent fan has managed to cite anything FG or LB came up with during the "boom" to avert disaster.

And, once again we are being told it's a good idea, to abolish it, because "they're doing it".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Now Enda is promoting the abolition of the seanad, citing it's ineffectiveness to prevent the economic boom and bust as one reason. Yet not even the most ardent fan has managed to cite anything FG or LB came up with during the "boom" to avert disaster.

And, once again we are being told it's a good idea, to abolish it, because "they're doing it".

But a referendum on the abolition of SE is something that FG promised long before the last general election, so fair play to them for delivering it, eventhough a yes would put a lot of party members out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

But a referendum on the abolition of SE is something that FG promised long before the last general election, so fair play to them for delivering it, eventhough a yes would put a lot of party members out of business.

The question I would tend to ask is why FG would want to abolish the Seanad, rather than reform it, and improve the Democratic process in so doing?

The problem with the Seanad, imo, is the fact that there are too many "party members" in business, in the first place.

The other problem, is that the Seanad is seen by some members as a reward, in the form of a rather exclusive "club" for "party members" or "friends", for that matter.

That was never what the Seanad was intended as.

It was intended as a check against the possible excesses of Government.
    Functioning properly, it would be an excellent means of ensuring the best interests of the people were always considered by Government when enacting new legislation.

I would argue that the Seanad is in desperate need of reform - beginning with direct election of its members by the electorate, followed by giving the Seanad more power to directly stop, rather than delay, new legislation, where there is reason to believe that such legislation would cause an erosion of the democratic rights of the people, or cause undue hardship, a la "Bank Bailouts".

I would further propose that Senators be subject to direct Democracy, where they can be recalled by the electorate if they are not doing the job they were elected to do. (For the record, I'm strongly in favour of TDs also being subject to a recall system!).
    I also propose that advice from Supreme Court judges (yes, more than one!) should be available to members of the Seanad, on request, whenever they consider new legislation. Just think what effect such a system would have had on the Bank Guarantee? Not to mention pressure from outside sources to maintain such a guarantee?

Democracy in Ireland could be vastly improved.
    Right now, all the power pretty much lies in the hands of the Cabinet.
    "Ordinary" TDs are subject to the party whip, and have little or no collective power. They are basically expected to be "Yes" men, who do what they're told, - or else!

The abolishment of the Seanad (rather than desperately needed reform) would only concentrate more power in the hands of the few.
    IMO, this is a very unwise, even potentially dangerous, step to take.

As the saying goes: "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't get it sometimes, where were all the 'reform the seanad' groups and petitions the last few years? As soon as the government wants to get rid of it, it suddenly becomes a cornerstone of democracy. The Seanad as it is is a waste of everything, people will vote to retain it with the vague idea of improving it and as soon as the referendum results are in it will be forgotten about again, or better yet we will have a Seanad Reform Commission, which will of course deliver nothing practical and cost a fortune.

Advertisement