Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Saturn game to buy next ?

Options
  • 26-04-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Was gonna pick up garegga but a little put off by the 100+ cost. Recommend me a game to get. Maybe something 50-60 range.

Any genre really except RPGs and fighters like street fighter I'd say. Huge shmup fan. My daughter likes arcade-y type games so maybe a two player game. Have saturn bomberman btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,434 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a tie between Souky, Radiant Silvergun and Garegga for best Saturn Shmup in my opinion.

Thankfully Souky is a good bit cheaper than the other two.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soukyugurentai-Sega-Saturn-JP-Japan-Import-STG-/221219269489?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item3381b22b71

Master of the Universe

Here's another Japanese exclusive must which also doesn't go for an arm and a leg - Elevator Action Returns

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-SS-Import-Game-Elevator-Action-Returns-japan-used-/300884279309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460e19c00d

Master of the Universe

One more and then I'll stop spamming your thread :D

Assault Suit Leynos 2. Cheap as chips and an amazing game.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assault-Suit-Leynos-2-Sega-Saturn-SS-/300892748141?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item460e9af96d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

o1s1n wrote: »
    One more and then I'll stop spamming your thread :D

Assault Suit Leynos 2. Cheap as chips and an amazing game.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assault-Suit-Leynos-2-Sega-Saturn-SS-/300892748141?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item460e9af96d

Don't stop spamming :)
    Assault suit I was thinking of before. Souky I like and had it before but not a huge fan of it. Elevator action returns looks ok.

Master of the Universe

Assault Suit Leynos 2 is brilliant but it's very difficult...part of it's charm though :)

If you're into shmups you'll enjoy it.

Have you got Layer Section? It's one of the cheaper shmups but a really enjoyable one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-SATURN-LAYER-SECTION-JAPAN-EX-/151015389582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item232937f98e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Maybe a controversial suggestion but what about buying a mod chip from racketboy.com? That way you can try out a whole bunch of games and if your moral compass says so, you can go buy the original(s) afterwards.

Here's a great list of Saturn shmups from the same site, should be plenty there to whet your appetite. :)

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Maybe a controversial suggestion but what about buying a mod chip from racketboy.com? That way you can try out a whole bunch of games and if your moral compass says so, you can go buy the original(s) afterwards.

Here's a great list of Saturn shmups from the same site, should be plenty there to whet your appetite. :)

Yeah, after spending a few years collecting Saturn games I went down this route. Haven't bought a new Saturn game since.

Yeah, after spending a few years collecting Saturn games I went down this route. Haven't bought a new Saturn game since.

I had a jap modded saturn saturn a few years back but sold it. I dunno why really. Anyway I played allot of games on it that I burned to CDs. Really just want this saturn to be .., pure. Except for its 50/60hz switch ;)

Satourne does a good job of letting me get a feel for most games.

Thinking of going for layer section but I know my daughter would have less than zero interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Have a look in the Console Titles section of Jeff's/rancor's site, prices in dollars seem pretty reasonable to me. http://tokyoshmups.com

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Slept on it and I just can't get away from Garegga :)
    I think I'm gonna wait for next pay day (two weeks) and go for it. Would be the most expensive game in my collection but its one I could actually see myself getting value from, despite the high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sonic R? Great soundtrack.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sonic R? Great soundtrack.

Only sonic game I ever liked was/is the new racing series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

brianon wrote: »
    Only sonic game I ever liked was/is the new racing series.

:eek:

EnterNow wrote: »
    :eek:

I know right :)
    But I just never enjoyed sonic. Could never get into the flow of the early games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But I just never enjoyed sonic. Could never get into the flow of the early games.

Its like saying Yoshi's Safari is my favourite Mario game :D

And I'm almost 40. I had a master system and megadrive and snes when I was a kid. Just never 'got' sonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Recommend me a game to get.

Start collecting them all. :Dpenis.gif

b9P7EdY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I forgot to add this too. You definitely want to get Batsugun at some point, it's a wonderful game! :)

9ZpekUc.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm still on thelook out for a cheap copy of Shining the Holy Ark :(

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I forgot to add this too. You definitely want to get Batsugun at some point, it's a wonderful game! :)

9ZpekUc.jpg

For some reason the saturn really appeals to me. I never had one so maybe that's why. I am hoping to create a decent collection alright. Not sure about complete :)

Bat sign I like but it would be down my list of saturn games to get next. I want to get games I love (garegga) mixed with games my daughter and myself might play (light gun games). I think they'll be my next purchases. Garegga soon because if I keep picking up cheaper games ill never have enough for the big ones.

Actually, are there many good light gun comparable saturn games ?

Oh and how do you guys track your collections ? Just a spreadsheet ?

Master of the Universe

Well if we're going all out now and including expensive games too (!) buy this. Best game on the console.

[IMG][/img]DSC_0011-3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

God I want to play Panzer Dragoon Saga again :( That game is so good.

Master of the Universe

I'm so happy I got that modded console as it means I can use PDS CDrs and not have to worry about opening that damn rip-able cardboard flap anymore :pac:

I'm so happy I got that modded console as it means I can use PDS CDrs and not have to worry about opening that damn rip-able cardboard flap anymore :pac:

Crikey. 200€ + ? That'll be one of the last I get...if I ever get that far. I'd be far more interested in garegga, silvergun etc...

Master of the Universe

Well the one thing PDS has over Garegga and other Saturn Shmups (bar Silvergun) is that it's a 100% original Saturn game and not an arcade port.

So there's no other way of playing it. Plus the source code was lost years ago so we probably won't be seeing a rerelease!

Definitely don't spent €200 on it. I got my copy for around the €80-€90 mark. Same with Radiant Silvergun actually. Shop around and wait for bargains. They do come eventually :)

Well the one thing PDS has over Garegga and other Saturn Shmups (bar Silvergun) is that it's a 100% original Saturn game and not an arcade port.

So there's no other way of playing it. Plus the source code was lost years ago so we probably won't be seeing a rerelease!

Definitely don't spent €200 on it. I got my copy for around the €80-€90 mark. Same with Radiant Silvergun actually. Shop around and wait for bargains. They do come eventually :)

Anywhere outside of eBay to pick up saturn games ?

Anywhere outside of eBay to pick up saturn games ?

Akihabara.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

Was gonna pick up garegga but a little put off by the 100+ cost. Recommend me a game to get. Maybe something 50-60 range.

Any genre really except RPGs and fighters like street fighter I'd say. Huge shmup fan. My daughter likes arcade-y type games so maybe a two player game. Have saturn bomberman btw.

Kieo's flying squadron 2, your a bunny girl it's a platformer/shooter

Or puzzle bobble 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

I had a jap modded saturn saturn a few years back but sold it. I dunno why really.

Yeah you sold it to me sucker :p

Advertisement