Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 10 - "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS"

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think I enjoyed that; I think anyway, I'm not sure. It seemed like a bit of a mess plot-wise, but had enough going for it that it kept me entertained. Most of that was due to seeing the interior of the TARDIS & by and large, they didn't screw that up. Whilst some of the corridors were just a tad too claustrophobic, there was enough grandeur and mystery that you could see why it would be a pretty awesome place to travel in. Loved the library, I hope we return there (side note: I think the telescope that was spotted was the one from series 2, the werewolf episode?); and how epic was the Eye of Harmony? It has been mentioned so often in Who lore yet never seen - shush to anyone who mentioned the US TV movie - and it didn't disappoint in it's proper maiden appearance. It really sold the idea of the TARDIS as both amazing yet scarily powerful (and on that, once again the FX was pretty strong)

The time-zombies didn't make a whole lot of sense, though the concept itself was pretty damn horrible / creepy when you realised Clara was being chased by a horribly mutated version of herself *shudder* (side note: being a gaming nerd, I was reminded of a near-identical concept from a game called Singularity, where people got mutated by timey-wimeyness into shambling, burning beasties)

As for the climax, yeah I'm not a fan of reset buttons as resolutions, but on the other hand if the chief concept of your TV series is time-travel, I kinda accept that resets will play into things at some point.

My only real quibble was the acting by the three VanBalen brothers - they were all uniformly bad. The writing wasn't great either, the twist pretty uninteresting & pointless really, but it wasn't helped by such flat, stilted performances.

On the question of the Doctor's name, well I agree: I suspect Clara will 'remember' seeing it - after-all, series 5 ended with the Doctor brought back to existence through Amy remembering him - and was put there as a link to the final episode.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I liked how he switched the Tardis into basic mode by turning an old clock key belonging to a Smiths clock. Shades of John Smith maybe? Regardless, nice touch by the props dept. And if they want a stunt double down the line I have one. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Did anyone else think the History Of The Time War book having the Doctor's name just written there for anyone to see was just wrong?

Also with it being the history of the time war shouldnt it have been in Gallifreyan? and also the Gallifreyan encyclopedia. This may be a link to who Clara is as before with the doctor's crib Gallifreyan wasnt translated by the Tardis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea well he was cuter so less likely for the ladies to say GTFO with that Spock stuff. :D

Also, the last time the current Doctor did the mind meldy stuff to someone, he headbutted them. Can't see that going over well with Clara...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

So the Tardis engine exploded and created cracks in time, and again a future Doctor comes back to save the day.

Does this have any connection to the Tardis exploding and time cracks from season 5, or is it just a separate instance of the same mechanic in action again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think I enjoyed that. There was a lot going on! It will require a rewatch.

I'm also confused that Clara could just read his name in a book. Surely that can't be right? If it is, it really makes 10 into a very melodramatic ding-dong in Silence in the Library.

He must have gone back to Demon's Run for his old cot at some stage too.

I do reckon he was still testing Clara, teaching her to fly the Tardis when he didn't trust her.

I lol'd at his oddball mention of liking human skin because it's like parchment.

(Hopefully this post is not quite as confusing as the episode!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

stevenmu wrote: »
    So the Tardis engine exploded and created cracks in time, and again a future Doctor comes back to save the day.

Does this have any connection to the Tardis exploding and time cracks from season 5, or is it just a separate instance of the same mechanic in action again?

I was wondering that too, I'd kinda hope as a fan that they link it back to that occurrence in some way shape or form or that we'll see some instances of the cracks again in the future that will tie back in to season 5 but knowing typical Moffat misdirection I doubt it'll turn out that way.

Ah rewatch!

When she reads the book she says, "Ah. So that's Who."

Which to me at least would be an unusual thing to say upon discovering someone's name. So it's possible she was remarking on something else. Maybe.

Then later she says, "you have a name, I saw it in a book." So maybe she saw the fact that he has a name in the book and not the name itself?

// Grasping at straws

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

hehe; what I love most about Dr. Who, is that with little moments like the book Clara reads in the library, you're never quite sure whether it's just a continuity goof (which aren't exactly uncommon), or if they're a little clue or hint towards big things in future episodes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think I enjoyed that. There was a lot going on! It will require a rewatch.

I'm also confused that Clara could just read his name in a book. Surely that can't be right? If it is, it really makes 10 into a very melodramatic ding-dong in Silence in the Library.

He must have gone back to Demon's Run for his old cot at some stage too.

I do reckon he was still testing Clara, teaching her to fly the Tardis when he didn't trust her.

I lol'd at his oddball mention of liking human skin because it's like parchment.

(Hopefully this post is not quite as confusing as the episode!)

I don't think that's possible :p

I'm joking mainly. I liked it but it was confusing and I really should watch it again. The zombies creeped the hell out of me. If the zombies were other versions of themselves, why were they trying to hurt them? Or were the zombies just there and the non-zombies over-reacting? I'm confused, hence the need for a rewatch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Aoifums wrote: »
    I don't think that's possible :p

I'm joking mainly. I liked it but it was confusing and I really should watch it again. The zombies creeped the hell out of me. If the zombies were other versions of themselves, why were they trying to hurt them? Or were the zombies just there and the non-zombies over-reacting? I'm confused, hence the need for a rewatch.

One of the zombies killed a brother so they were killing them
    Maybe because they were crazy zombies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe because they were crazy zombies

I believe the correct PC term is "Living impaired individual". As for calling them crazy ....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Need to watch it again as I missed a good part of the first 10 minutes dishing out a roast beef, serious clash of priorities. Loved the library and the Eye of Harmony.

Read a review that gave it 10/10 and it just didn't hit me as a classic, maybe a rewatch will, it was no Cold War, but I love Russians, submarines and spy stuff! Watched the Doctors wife on Sunday with the young lad, much better.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Actually enjoyed this way more on a second viewing.

The brother's acting leaves a lot to be desired though, they come across mad stilted.

The eldest/tallest brother especially. The way he spoke was really jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

I quite enjoyed this episode, especially on a re-watch. I've read and agreed with a few theories as to how this is all going to tie together, I guess I should spoiler it in case anyone doesn't want any speculation..
    Clara learns the Doctors name in the library, and I think that the TARDIS must have let her get in there, I doubt it's a public library open to any companions. So the TARDIS doesn't like Clara because she knows that Clara will be the one who knows the Doctors name/asks him the question on the Fields of Trenzalor. But the TARDIS also brings the Doctor to 'wherever he needed to go' so his running into her again and again is because she has to learn his name, forget it, and remember it again at the worst possible time :)
    I guess it kinda makes sense :v I believe the brother remembering something the Doctor said to him is the inkling we get that it will happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Ah rewatch!

When she reads the book she says, "Ah. So that's Who."

Which to me at least would be an unusual thing to say upon discovering someone's name. So it's possible she was remarking on something else. Maybe.

Then later she says, "you have a name, I saw it in a book." So maybe she saw the fact that he has a name in the book and not the name itself?

// Grasping at straws

Did you capitalise Who for a reason?

Did you capitalise Who for a reason?

'Twas an accident. But maybe it's a sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

bradyle wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit where the metal thing was the object that allowed the salvage crew to grab the TARDIS and they could get it on board becuase the Doctor had let the shields down so Clara could fly the TARDIS.
    So by telling past doctor about it past doctor was able to turn of the metal thing andd they couldnt be grabbed

That's not correct. The metal thing was used to control the Tardis but from outside.

The device which appeared from nowhere on the Tardis at the start of the episode was thrown there by the doctor through a rift in time ( we were watching the second loop of this event) It had an engraving on it called Big Friendly Button so they would hit the button. Clara had just asked for one.

Unfortunately the present day doctor didn't pick it up, Clara did and dropped it. It burned the phrase into her hand though. Realising this at the end of the second loop the doctor realised he had done this before but this time he had to go through the rift ( which killed him as it happened)

As for what it did - it probably reversed the effect of the external device.

Clever.

Advertisement