Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 10 - "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS"

Options
  • 26-04-2013 7:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like this will be another "bottle" episode, only this time it's the TARDIS, rather than a submarine. Which in itself is a rare occurrence - I think you could count on one hand the number of Who stories ever set along the corridors of the TARDIS; it happened partially in "The Doctor's Wife" from last year, but before that the interior of the TARDIS has always been something of an explored mystery - which is a good thing in my eyes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

It would want to be something special.
    Terrible run this series, Jenna Louise is a great assistant but finding the whole thing hard to watch.
    And the over reliance on the sonic screwdriver is spoiling it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Disagree on that; 'Rings' was a bit weak sure, but the last two episodes have been pretty strong by and large, if not genuinely excellent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I recall a Tom Baker story where he went traipsing around the bowels of a factory somewhere outside London the Tardis, including the swimming pool IIRC. I'm looking forward to this one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Got to agree on pixelburp on this one, while I've not found anything amazing this year, there's certainly been nothing as bad as about 30% of the RTD era.

Moffat's run has been consistently good, and occasionally great, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I think this series so far has been a bit hit and miss tbh.

I really did like the fist three episodes but thought the power of three and the angels take manhattan weren't great. The Christmas special was great...such a step up from last years!
    Then with this half everything's just fallen a little flat of what I thought they could be. The premises are great but the story just didn't get there. Like i did enjoy them but i just thought they could have been more. Although last weeks Hide I really liked so maybe I shouldn't be so harsh!

But I do think theres something up with the sonic...like they're making it be the centre of attention a lot recently...I'm hoping theres going to be something that happens with it rather than they're just using it more than I remember for other seasons!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

And even when it's not being used for anything specific, he tends to get it out simply to twiddle it and gaze deeply into it's little light. I've never known a doctor whip it out as frequently as this one. It started getting annoying a good while ago for me. I truly hope something terrible happens to it very soon, something that puts it out of action for a good bit would be wonderful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

gufnork wrote: »
    And even when it's not being used for anything specific, he tends to get it out simply to twiddle it and gaze deeply into it's little light. I've never known a doctor whip it out as frequently as this one. It started getting annoying a good while ago for me. I truly hope something terrible happens to it very soon, something that puts it out of action for a good bit would be wonderful.

Uh... David Tennant? Growing chain link fence?

gufnork wrote: »

I think it's going to break or something and to fix it he'll have to turn it into the one river has in Silence in The Library

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I don't understand the general cries of overuse about the Sonic - it's still quite prominent yeah, but it has been since day 1 of the new series; to be fair, we've seen it become more like the Doctor's equivalent of the Tri-corder during Moffats run, than the magical fix-all-wand it was during the time of Eccleston & Tennant & the lazier moments of RTD-led writing. So I disagree that it has become worse - quite the opposite.

As Dr. Doom mentioned, it was used to magically create chain-link fencing ffs - if I recall the Doc even claimed it was one of the presets. Sure, the screwdriver was used as a wand during that odd magic-science battle in 'Rings', but otherwise it has definitely been toned down & become more of an analysis tool.

I dunno, maybe there's just an element of audience fatigue about the show that people are jumping on faults and/or features that have always been there. It is in its 7th series of the new run, so perhaps things need to be shaken up a little, beyond simply changing the Doc & TARDIS interior.

I don't think he uses it more than the previous doctors, I just think that lately they seem to be focusing on its use a lot more. It's as if every time it's used it gets to be the center of the attention as something really important rather than just a handy tool.

I do think this is a change even maybe from the first half of season 7 and I cant help but think they're drawing notice to it for a reason. Obviously I could be completely wrong but who knows :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't understand the general cries of overuse about the Sonic - it's still quite prominent yeah, but it has been since day 1 of the new series; to be fair
    True. When you watch the Classic Who, what strikes you is how little he uses it. If you'd asked me before I revisted my youth:D I would have said "ah he uses it all the time", but he didn't. Baker's doc rarely and then as an actual screwdriver half the time and I can't recall Davisons Doc ever using it. Way less than I remembered.

Hmmmm Maybe that's it... Moffat and RTD are around my age and if I was tasked with writing a Doctor story he'd be whipping it out every chance he got because of my faulty memory. :D Daleks are another one. Again if you asked me how often did the Docs of my youth took on the Daleks I'd have sworn blind it was all the time, yet Tom Baker's Doc only fought them twice in what was it seven seasons(I think he only met the cybermen once IIRC)? If you magically rejuvenated the forth Doc and stuck him in the New Who, he'd be "ah FFS lads, not bloody Daleks again, colour me sorry I didn't kill them at birth when I had the chance" and "so you're telling me I can get romantic with my assistants now? Damn, missed out on Leela and Sarah Jane. Feck!". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've seen this kinda episode rumoured as a '****e! overbudget' episode for the entire run of Nu-Who. Though, from the trailer, it doesn't look like an ep that's me scrimped on.

The sonic's lack of emphasis in the original series may have had a lot to do with the fact that they needed quite a bit of padding to fill up a 2/4/8/10 (depending on the Doc/story)-parter; it would've killed the running time had the Doctor just removed the plot-block.

Here's another clip from tomorrows show

Worked out how to imbed youtube clips and it only took me like 4 goes...super impressed :P

Pixelburp you could maybe throw this up with your two and I'll remove it might make things neater...or we can leave it here...doesnt really mater I suppose

Sooooooooo... I'm not the only person who doesn't know just what happened on Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Swear I heard The voice of The Third Doctor have to go and re watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well that was all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sooooooooo... I'm not the only person who doesn't know just what happened on Who?
    Stuff happened, the Doctor pressed a Reset Button, Stuff didn't happen. Is next weeks the Neil Gaiman episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its the end of season 3 all over again.

Lots of interesting and fun things happened, things were really given potential to go in new and unusual ways

and then it was all reset.

Lots of little teasers and nods (including audio from the first doctor, his granddaughter and others)

I liked it but I never get such a hang up over reset endings, they annoy me, but I enjoy the ride (hence why I still stand by series 3 having a great finale)

Again good use of practical effects.

My biggest criticism was the absolute horrid way of handling the android/brothers revelation. It just felt odd how they delivered that information bit by bit (and that it was obvious from the shot at the beginning of the episode showing the photo)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

flazio wrote: »
    Stuff happened, the Doctor pressed a Reset Button, Stuff didn't happen. Is next weeks the Neil Gaiman episode?

Next week is Mark Gatiss episode, Neil Gaiman is week after isnt it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bit all over the place but not too bad

I don't think anything else is going to top his Rings monologue...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Concept and execution were good. Nice to see the pool, and the library (and not the pool in the library) and the CGI wasn't too shabby. Seemed odd that he would just leave a book sitting in there with his name in it, if it's such a terrible, terrible thing.

Didn't really care for the brothers, or the whole android thing. A lot of it was all over the place though, and the reset lazy. 6/10 episode for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I missed the first five or so minutes, is that why the end was so confusing or did it just make feck-all sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Did he set it all up so that he could question her as to who she was? Dunno, perhaps just trying to find a reason not to make it a reincarnation of old stories.

hmm, also another thought on reincarnated stories.
    Perhaps the whole thing is a bit singing dectivey? Maybe it is all the mad imagination of an old mad man trapped in a “blue police box” in Trotter Street. He is being tormented by people outside the box and is making up stories in his head to escape? Perhaps he “Dr J Smith” played by David Bradley walks out?:confused: Hope not…

They had such a chance to go somewhere great with her knowing his name and him telling her she existed before...but no they undid it all.
    I'm just worried she'll start getting flashbacks of it or something because if time was rewritten it really didn't happen.

I missed the first five or so minutes, is that why the end was so confusing or did it just make feck-all sense?

Did you miss the bit where the metal thing was the object that allowed the salvage crew to grab the TARDIS and they could get it on board becuase the Doctor had let the shields down so Clara could fly the TARDIS.
    So by telling past doctor about it past doctor was able to turn of the metal thing andd they couldnt be grabbed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why doesn't he just do a mind meld on her like the last doctor could do
    :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

bradyle wrote: »
    They had such a chance to go somewhere great with her knowing his name and him telling her she existed before...but no they undid it all.
    I'm just worried she'll start getting flashbacks of it or something because if time was rewritten it really didn't happen.

Shell have an inkling of something because didnt the brother star acting nicer to the younger one.

Shell have an inkling of something because didnt the brother star acting nicer to the younger one.

Yea I noticed that and really hoped it was just a coincidence...

Like it didn't happen...They cant remember it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Well I loved it. I thought it was great. It's the over-use of the sonic screwdriver that gets me. I just wish they'd stop doing that. Apart from that though, seeing the Tardis like that was fantastic. It was exciting, and Clara is a joy to watch, especially with all the mystery surrounding her. Nice. Nothing will ever top Tom Bakers reign of course, but I'm enjoying Matt Smith and Jenna.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why doesn't he just do a mind meld on her like the last doctor could do
    :pac:
    Yea well he was cuter so less likely for the ladies to say GTFO with that Spock stuff. :D

Advertisement