Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I must say Hello Lady you are well up on your stuff.Are you in the healthcare industry or just learnt a lot with the twins?
    The reason I say that is that you mention the giving water which is exactly what my SIL said earlier.
    it's great to hear the same things as you know it's probably right.

Haha no not in health care but some days I feel like I am! When you have battled through an at times very difficult pregnancy and are then faced with two very unwell babies you learn and research pretty quick! If you don't inform yourself you run a high risk of being dismissed as an over fretful first time mum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

It's mad that there'll be a January 2015 thread started any day now! :o In a way, it seems no length since this thread started ... in another way, it seems a lifetime ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

It's mad that there'll be a January 2015 thread started any day now! :o In a way, it seems no length since this thread started ... in another way, it seems a lifetime ago!

I just realised that 1 week for a baby is huge for their development! This week we had a tummy time break through. He doesnt cry anymore when you do it lol lol! On a sad note I see 3 baby shops in dublin have closed down that were going strong while we were all preggers, I hope a lot of people aren't out of pocket with deposits on buggies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone else notice their LO's extra cranky around the 3 month mark where they only seem satisfied for a short while at a time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

I am facing the same. Don't know why that happens.

• Advertisement

kknitter wrote: »
    I am facing the same. Don't know why that happens.

Is it a growth spurt? My babs can get fussy went he has one! Does anyone else find the sizing on clothes really annoying? I went to put on a new vest 6-9 months and it is too small!! He is in 6-9 months in all brands except in ladybird babygrows (littlewoods) which are 3-6 months and bigger than a penneys/dunnes/m&s/tesco/next 6-9??? Very bizarre and very annoying :(

Millem wrote: »
    Is it a growth spurt? My babs can get fussy went he has one! Does anyone else find the sizing on clothes really annoying? I went to put on a new vest 6-9 months and it is too small!! He is in 6-9 months in all brands except in ladybird babygrows (littlewoods) which are 3-6 months and bigger than a penneys/dunnes/m&s/tesco/next 6-9??? Very bizarre and very annoying :(

Yes I found that when I brought out the 3-6 months stuff, there was some of it he'd already outgrown at just three months, so he never got a chance to wear it! I've since gone through all the 6 months + stuff, judging by actually looking at them rather than what's on the labels, and there are quite a few things there that fit him already ... even though he's only four months old, and in the 25th percentile size-wise at that!

Anyone started weaning yet? I'll hopefully hold off til the 20 week mark (he's 16 weeks tomorrow), but I was thinking I might as well get started on the pureeing and freezing so we'll be ready when the time comes. How long do you reckon pureed veg would last in the freezer?

I really need to start expanding the range of veggies I eat myself, I really want him to eat exactly what we're eating as soon as possible, so I need to get my own diet super-clean!

Yes I found that when I brought out the 3-6 months stuff, there was some of it he'd already outgrown at just three months, so he never got a chance to wear it! I've since gone through all the 6 months + stuff, judging by actually looking at them rather than what's on the labels, and there are quite a few things there that fit him already ... even though he's only four months old, and in the 25th percentile size-wise at that!

Anyone started weaning yet? I'll hopefully hold off til the 20 week mark (he's 16 weeks tomorrow), but I was thinking I might as well get started on the pureeing and freezing so we'll be ready when the time comes. How long do you reckon pureed veg would last in the freezer?

I really need to start expanding the range of veggies I eat myself, I really want him to eat exactly what we're eating as soon as possible, so I need to get my own diet super-clean!

I don't know anything about percentiles but he was over 15lbs at the 3 month check :eek: my crazy PHN tried it get me to start solids then! I don't really understand how much milk he is supposed to get she told me he should only get 5 bottles a day each being 9oz?? My bottles only go up to 9oz so where do I go next in a few weeks?

I don't know anything about percentiles but he was over 15lbs at the 3 month check :eek: my crazy PHN tried it get me to start solids then! I don't really understand how much milk he is supposed to get she told me he should only get 5 bottles a day each being 9oz?? My bottles only go up to 9oz so where do I go next in a few weeks?

My boy doesn't get near that, he usually has five 7oz bottles a day, but usually only takes 5-6oz, only occasionaly the full 7. It doesn't seem much to me, but his growth is perfectly on track (he was born 25th percentile and still is), so I'm not worried.

Once they start feeding they take less milk, so I wouldn't be too worried about what'll happen in a few weeks! You'd think they'd be taking bigger bottles as they get older but that's not actually the way it is!

Cannot wait til he's old enough to get off the formula .... bought three tubs today at €11.99 each, ouch! Crazy money!

My boy doesn't get near that, he usually has five 7oz bottles a day, but usually only takes 5-6oz, only occasionaly the full 7. It doesn't seem much to me, but his growth is perfectly on track (he was born 25th percentile and still is), so I'm not worried.

Once they start feeding they take less milk, so I wouldn't be too worried about what'll happen in a few weeks! You'd think they'd be taking bigger bottles as they get older but that's not actually the way it is!

Cannot wait til he's old enough to get off the formula .... bought three tubs today at €11.99 each, ouch! Crazy money!

We use around 1 box of formula around every 6 days I think! Still though money well spent in comparison to pumping lol lol it says on the back of the box or our milk 35 ozs per day (5 bottles @ 7 oz) for his weight (not age)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

What is the story with the percentile thing, the phn had said the boy was 90 + percentile but when I asked her if that was a good thing we got distracted before she could answer. He appears to be happy out and healthy so I think we are doing grand.

We definitely had a cranky phase around 3 months but it also coincided with vaccs so think he was generally just p!ssed off at everything, poor lamb.

I'm going down the baby led weaning route, apart from anything else I'm just not getting involved with pureeing! So will be waiting till the six month mark here (or there abouts)

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    What is the story with the percentile thing, the phn had said the boy was 90 + percentile but when I asked her if that was a good thing we got distracted before she could answer. He appears to be happy out and healthy so I think we are doing grand.

We definitely had a cranky phase around 3 months but it also coincided with vaccs so think he was generally just p!ssed off at everything, poor lamb.

I'm going down the baby led weaning route, apart from anything else I'm just not getting involved with pureeing! So will be waiting till the six month mark here (or there abouts)

The PHN told us that as long as it's roughly in line with their birth percentile, it's fine ... so chances are your boy was around 90th percentile when born? So as long as he's staying around the same place on the graph, it's fine. I'm sure if there was any problem the PHN would have mentioned it!

I would absolutely love to wait til six months and do baby-led weaning. However he'll be starting creche then, and I'm not sure I'd be happy for the creche to do it with him, I wouldn't be happy that he'd get the necessary space and time and attention for it. So I'll be doing purees, and starting a little bit earlier, but the plan is to have purees in creche and BLW at home ... I really have no idea how it's going to work out! But sure live and learn, I guess! I imagine he'll dictate things for us when the time comes!

Never actually heard of the percentile thing till a few weeks in so no idea what he was at birth. He's massive now so I'm sure he's grand. Had problems with weight gain at the start but he has more than made up for it now.

He's a really pukey baby (runs in the family) so I can't wait to get weaning as it should put a stop to that...I swear I'm going to burn the mountain of bibs I have when I finally stop needing them.

William's the same. Very very pukey. I put a couple of washes on every day, but even so we're constantly running out of bibs and cloths! I thought about putting him on the stay-down formula, but he's gaining weight fine and getting plenty of wet nappies, so maybe we're best to stick to the regular formula. Hopefully weaning will settle it down a bit! It's frustrating though, you end up planning your day around how long it'll take him to stop puking after a feed!

ha yeah my boy is gotten very good at making sly puking now, where you stand up and realise he not only got his bib, top, baby vest, bottoms but my top and bottoms as well as the couch.

I feel i have become obsessed with the washing, it's never ending sometimes

Isn't it such a victory (though short-lived!) when you can actually see the bottom of the laundry basket! :o

We use around 1 box of formula around every 6 days I think! Still though money well spent in comparison to pumping lol lol it says on the back of the box or our milk 35 ozs per day (5 bottles @ 7 oz) for his weight (not age)

I use 2.5 - 3 tins of SMA comfort per week!! 100 nappies per week on average and 3-4 packs of wipes!!! And yet so many people begrudge parents of multiples the little bit extra child benefit :rolleyes:

I use 2.5 - 3 tins of SMA comfort per week!! 100 nappies per week on average and 3-4 packs of wipes!!! And yet so many people begrudge parents of multiples the little bit extra child benefit :rolleyes:

Gosh! I wouldn't even use 1 pack of wipes per week! I use cotton wool but wipes for a number 2. Maybe 1 pack every 2 weeks but probably not even. I just worked it out 1 box of our milk is 5 days .probably

We'd definitely not finish a pack of wipes in a week, then again, we're lucky that he only poops once a day! :D

• Advertisement

One of my girls poops 2-3 times per day. The other only every second day but they're twice as big! Lol

I also use 1 bottle of baby bath wash per week, large one between a bath each night and top and tail each morning. 1-2 large caldesene talcs per week depending on the bum conditions! Touch wood we've only had one scaldy bum and that was due to an ear infection.

What kind of bath wash do you use? My gp and phn advised me to stick with water for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

What kind of bath wash do you use? My gp and phn advised me to stick with water for now!

I just use Johnsons top to toe wash, have never had a problem with it, he doesn't have sensitive skin tho, except his face, I couldn't put a baby wipe near it as he would get a little rash for like an hour, we only use vaseline on his bum, have never had nappy rash, and then we use silcocks base cream on his body and face as a moisturiser, it's so good, his skin is lovely and clear, never got any dry skin around his eyebrows and didn't get any cradlecap thank god.

I use the yellow Johnson's one top to toe (I think), says suitable for first bath. I don't bath every day, as I thought it dries out skin? It's prob twice a week but sometimes you get those days where his nappy leaks and he could have three showers in one day! lol I only use Vaseline on bum. We never had a rash or cradle cap yet (touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hi ladies..
    For those of you that have mentioned having pukey babies, a suggestion is to try CAROBEL from Cow and Gate.My wee man has bad reflux and Cloths never lasted any time at all.Its a powder that you add to the bottle.Its a gelling type of agent.I only get a wee dribble after each bottle now compared to a few rivers.It has worked from the first use.Think it's only available in pharmacies though but about €7 a box and it lasts just over a week.He seems in much better form for it too.

Hi ladies..
    For those of you that have mentioned having pukey babies, a suggestion is to try CAROBEL from Cow and Gate.My wee man has bad reflux and Cloths never lasted any time at all.Its a powder that you add to the bottle.Its a gelling type of agent.I only get a wee dribble after each bottle now compared to a few rivers.It has worked from the first use.Think it's only available in pharmacies though but abut €7 a box and it lasts just over a week.He seems in much better form for it too.

Carobel is good for 'happy spitters' i.e babies who spit up but don't have any acid in the reflux. You can also add rice or maise flour. But just be careful when using thickeners or thickened formula as it can make some babies very constipated and/or windy. Any of the anti-reflux or stay down milks are also an option. Another cause of the puking could be a mild cmpi or cmpa so neocate formula or enfamil might work if thats the case.

We are having serious nappy woes :( pampers size 3 baby dry and active fit have started to leak! They seem to be too small for him but yet are meant to do up to 20lbs??? They are literally just covering him if that makes sense. I don't know if I should try another brand of size 3 eg aldi or just try size 4? Disaster!

We are having serious nappy woes :( pampers size 3 baby dry and active fit have started to leak! They seem to be too small for him but yet are meant to do up to 20lbs??? They are literally just covering him if that makes sense. I don't know if I should try another brand of size 3 eg aldi or just try size 4? Disaster!
    its not just weight but shape. Pampers never suited either of my two. boots own brand are quite big fitting....maybe give them a go? on offer at the moment too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

we have been using aldi size 3 and find them brilliant, never leak. As a gift someone gave us pampers size 3 active fit and I cannot believe how many times I had to change entire out fits with them, they leaked almost every single time, didn't even finish the pack, have half of them upstairs.

I've heard good things about supervalu own brand, and tesco too. But for me aldi are great.

• Advertisement

Sure just buy him a pack of size four and see, he'll be using them at some point anyway. My boy has been in size four for a few weeks now and size four plus in aldi. He is a big boy but also quite long so it's easier to fit a bigger nappy to his shape. I use aldi for short term and tesco or actifit for longer periods. I'm also getting cloth next week so we'll see how that goes.

Advertisement