Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭Tow

I would have thought people have more sense than to use the Radio Dublin name.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I recall Radio Dublin on 100.0 to be playing traditional Irish music. For a long time, I thought they were an officially licensed station, but in reality it was pirate radio.

The guy running the station was also involved in some crime, child molestation or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It was more Irish country music during that phase - late 1990s to early 2000s. Radio Dublin went through many different music phases in its long history. I think it was playing easy listening music just before the plug was pulled. The guy in question was Eamon Cooke, aka "The Captain". The station started before he was involved. Eamon had a tv repair shop and was asked by the then owner Don Moore, aka Dr. Don, to help with the transmitter. It wasn't too long after that when Eamon got more involved with the station and became the owner- that was around the mid 1970s. Incidentally, some of the presenters during its country phase had previously been with 1980s country pirate Treble TR. Inevitably, when talking about Eamon Cooke and Radio Dublin, there was a split and a rival country pirate was set up called K.I.C. FM.

Still, it would be nice to know who is involved with this particular entity on FreeDAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Why would someone wilfully choose to re-use that tarnished station name? It'll attract attention, which is probably the last thing FreeDAB need.

• Advertisement

Could it be possible that they never heard of Radio Dublin and that the choice of name is actually a coincidence, or is it possible that they have only scant knowledge of its history and are unaware of the unsavoury aspect?

Aside: there are a lot of radio presenters and management that did stints in Radio Dublin over the years.

I have not listened to it for long, is it in fact some tribute station or is it a new venture of the same name?

If it's a new venture, you would expect that the operator would have searched online first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GFrancy4stir

Freedab must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a few quid every month or completely clueless about the ramifications surrounding the Radio Dublin brand. There are still individuals and families carrying trauma from that bastard Cooke and by association Radio Dublin. I nearly crashed the car when Radio Dublin showed up on the dashboard on a DAB scan today. I think Freedab is an Irish platform, they should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DublinsABC

Join us this Bank Holiday Sunday 31st July at 18.00 BST for Radio Memories ,,This week it's Radio Leinster - Recorded during a visit by some touring British Anoraks, this is Radio Leinster from August 15th 1981. Starting at 2.17pm, this was made off 738kHz. With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Gary Hogg / DX Archive Listen on 93.3 FM in North Dublin / Alexa / tune-in Radio app/ liveradio.ie and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Good point but have to say FreeDAB doing a great job in Dublin and the North East seen as RTE have turned their back on DAB.

Fair play to whoever is organised FreeDAB we need more of this .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Happy BH Sunday fellas.

Been out foreign for 4 weeks so only catching up now.

whats happenning out there? Anything to report?

thanks

Radio Memories on ABC 80's this Sunday the 7th August at 18.00 BST is from WBEN Cork This is a recording of "WBEN off 98FM. from the start of October 1987." With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Gary Hogg / WBEN station page ..Tune in on 93,3 FM Stereo in Dublin /Alexa / liveradio.ie / Tune in radio page-app and all good radio listings 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Dab sounds great in the outskirts of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Ice 99.5 seems to me that they are the only pirate on FM these days. Anyone getting much else. Anybody got any answers on this?

I can’t get FreeDab at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

much easier to operate online in reality then on fm these days and the audience which traditionally listened to pirates are going online also.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

FM risky and potential number of listeners is diminishing. You’d need to hit the ground running with a quality product because your time on FM is very limited. Some stations pop on that are pure muck which I can never understand.

Online is easier, less expensive and much safer.

Downside with online only is potential number of listeners. Even with an established name, entries in all the online directories, quality content and even some live shows - getting those numbers up is very hard.

The norm for a station doing OK would be 10 to 20 concurrent listeners (real people, not bots or rippers). A station doing well might be 50 to 100. Anything over that very unlikely or numbers are fudged.

So, with online you’re really running something for a hobby (which is fine of course). You won’t cover costs or make money.

Post edited by JDxtra on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Have to agree, operating on FM is a waste of time and electricity. Stations popping up, no fixed hours of broadcasting, might be there when you turn on or not. Changing frequency, changing name, changing format. Besides anoraks, who’s going to be bothered scanning up and down the dial to listen to poor reception and even worse presenters. The days of good pirate radio has unfortunately passed, time to move on….

As regards FM pirates, here are the others I came across today (Saturday):

93.3 - ABC 80s - it seemed to play the odd song from the late 1970s!

94.3 FM - All80s was being relayed in the early evening.

107.1 FM - Barely picked it up - presume was Co. Meath's RetroNow

Incidentally, Energy Power AM was on 1440 kh (208 metres) on Medium Wave.

Presumably, Retro FM will be back on tomorrow (Sunday) on 92.0 FM and any live broadcasts could well be relayed on 1440 kh, and possibly 94.3 FM.

I was in Drogheda earlier tonight and briefly picked up a station on 108.0 playing some kind of folk-rock/hippy rock tune. After the song was over, it went blank before there was some kind of brief jingle. Then it was gone and an off-tuned Newstalk was coming in on that frequency. Any idea about that station I briefly heard?

Incidentally, I could pick up a relay of All80s on 94.3 FM all the way from Drogheda to Dublin. When I heard it first earlier in the evening, All80s had been displayed on the RDS. Now the RDS kept changing with different messages about 80s music. It finally displayed "Good Night" around 10:10pm and did indeed stop!

There was no FreeDAB (Dublin) today when I checked. Is it now a weekend/evening only schedule? It was on over the weekend.

• Advertisement

I heard Easy Radio in 105.2 FM this evening. I checked their website and see that they are launching their second temporary license run this Friday. Better choice of frequency than last time: 88.1FM.

ABC 80's Radio Memories this week is from "Radio Carousel Navan October 28th 1982 -1pm, Kieran Murray  " Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland "Keeping pirate memories alive "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

That was most likely just an in-car transmitter in a nearby car (for linking digital music player etc to the legacy car radio), 108.0 as well as 87.5-88.0 area are the most likeliest frequencies these are put on as these are most likeliest to be useable (not affected by stations) in Ireland when driving long distances . If you manually tune around when stuck in traffic/traffic lights on a busy road its likely you will hear some of these in-car transmitters.

Post edited by Antenna on

Thanks Antenna. It's two weeks ago now, but I remember that the radio picked up the signal itself when I did an auto-tune. I rarely manually tune as it is a tedious process on my car radio. One thing I often do, though, is to save a new frequency so I can check it out again. I think I have 108.0 saved somewhere since then! I leave the manual tuning for a frequency that I know there is a station on and the car radio won't pick it up automatically.

ABC 80's Radio Memories this week is from "Atlantic 252 September 1st 1989 - It was made off 254kHz long wave and starts with test transmissions from 7.05am leading up to the launch with Gary King from 8am " Tune-in on 93.3 FM / liveradio.ie/Tune-in Radio/Alexa and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland "Due to aerial problems we may be only on-line"

1 share

Comment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭Tow

I have/had a recording I made of the opening broadcast. Seeds of love? Also have a SQL card from their initial test transmissions on 254!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

When did they move from 254 to 252? I don’t think they were on 254 for very long.

I noticed this evening that Ice Radio in Dublin has moved from 99.5FM to 102.5FM. If I am not mistaken, it was on 102.5 before it turned up on 99.5. Why did it not just stay where it was if it was going to have to end up moving again?

While I am here, here are the others that I picked up around south Dublin this evening.

91.6 - Phever (I assume as it was playing dance music)

93.3 - ABC 80s

98.4 - The 90s Network

No Energy Power AM on MW tonight. It did not seem to be on last Sunday either, when I was checking.

I can see the logic as current signal pattern is different and it could have caused an issue with the upcoming temps using 99.5.

• Advertisement

My point is that they had 102.5 already before moving to 99.5. So, why did they move at all?

Advertisement