Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The high street takeaway dog/cat/pigeon myth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

You worried about dog, cat, or pigeon in your food when you've seriously been chomping away at horse?

Anyway, I haven't had it, but I know plenty of people who have had dog or puppy. Dogs are considered to be a delicacy in Asian cultures; we aren't talking about mangy, scrawny dogs that are diseased with tough meat. They grow dogs to be used for consumption, so no, I don't believe that myth.

As for puppy, several American Indian tribes have traditional meals that feature puppy; again, we are talking about plump, young dogs that are not diseased.

Meat doesn't come much better for you than Horse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

The world must be ending as I've heard from true, Real Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

According to the food safety lectures in UCD veterinary, there was a stage that fast food restaurants and ethnic food restaurants were indeed serving pigeon and other poultry as chicken and it was proven with food testing. But that was over 10 years ago and have been adhering to food safety laws for a long time.

I just think having a local Indian takeaway located next to the local vets just down the road from me is funny though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

true wrote: »
    9 out of 10 Chine restaurants use that argument to justify putting cat and dog meant in their food. In China nothing is wasted...not even dead pets.

A country with over a billion people and it is only recently emerging as a growing economic power with distinct class structures; are you really going to begrudge starving people from a chance to eat some kind of protein? What they do in their own country is one thing, but the perpetuation of these take-out myths are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    According to the food safety lectures in UCD veterinary, there was a stage that fast food restaurants and ethnic food restaurants were indeed serving pigeon and other poultry as chicken and it was proven with food testing. But that was over 10 years ago and have been adhering to food safety laws for a long time.

I just think having a local Indian takeaway located next to the local vets just down the road from me is funny though!

Bit late calling in the vet if the poor pigeon is already in a curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Anyone wrote: »
    Bit late calling in the vet if the poor pigeon is already in a curry.

On the up side, at least you can guarantee the meat was sourced locally!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Long story short,
    fast food places here have been successfully prosecuted for using cat food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

I dont care what the menu says that's not fu**cking chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say as long as it tastes nice and doesn't do me any harm, with a few notable exceptions, I genuinely couldn't give a **** what's in my food really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    When did towns in Ireland start to get high streets? :confused: Total Brit phrase.

Most towns in Ireland are streets. :pac:

Just add a post office, a pub, a mace, and hey-presto, you have yourself a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

back in the late 70's we use to catch mullet in Dun Laoghaire and sell them to one of the local chinese take aways for 40p each - enough for 10 cigs and a can of coke/mars bar

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Walking home from work in leeson street years ago,saw blue sirens flashing at the canal
    i went over and asked what had happened,i thought somebody had fallen in,then i noticed 2 chinese guys
    in the back seat of the garda car..
    long story short apparently they were using nets to capture the ducks that slept
    on the little concrete ridge just before the waters edge..i was like holy ****!..something i always remember when im ordering chinese food to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Walking home from work in leeson street years ago,saw blue sirens flashing at the canal
    i went over and asked what had happened,i thought somebody had fallen in,then i noticed 2 chinese guys
    in the back seat of the garda car..
    long story short apparently they were using nets to capture the ducks that slept
    on the little concrete ridge just before the waters edge..i was like holy ****!..something i always remember when im ordering chinese food to this day

And? Someone has to catch the ducks! Might as well skip the supply chain and save a few quid. Reminds me of all that outrage about when the 'imagrents 'atin de swans outta de Lock' stuff was going around Cork city, would it have gotten as much time if it was the Ivory Tower importing swans from southern France?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

There's not much eating on a cat.

Advertisement