Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE 2K14 THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

What's up with the use of Roddy Piper in the game? A badly made CAW of him shows up as the ref in WM X without any mention of him in the video or the commentary. I also see signs for him and Hot Rod shirts in the crowd every now and then. I remember when the roster was announced Piper complained on Twitter about his absence. I wonder if he was originally supposed to be in it.

WM mode loses steam as it goes on but it's decent. Seems like the developers have less enthusiasm for the later Manias. Would have loved more pre-match promo recreations like they did with Savage and HBK/Razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Jamie OD wrote: »
    What's up with the use of Roddy Piper in the game? A badly made CAW of him shows up as the ref in WM X without any mention of him in the video or the commentary. I also see signs for him and Hot Rod shirts in the crowd every now and then. I remember when the roster was announced Piper complained on Twitter about his absence. I wonder if he was originally supposed to be in it.

WM mode loses steam as it goes on but it's decent. Seems like the developers have less enthusiasm for the later Manias. Would have loved more pre-match promo recreations like they did with Savage and HBK/Razor.
    PWInsider.com and WrestleChat.net are both reporting that the reason WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper wasn't announced as a playable character in the upcoming WWE 2K14 video game had actually to do with Mr. T opting not to sign a contract to be included in the game himself.

Mr. T, who faced Piper at both WrestleMania 1 and 2, was reportedly approached by 2K Sports about licensing him for the game, but the two parties were unable to reach an agreement. This ultimately led to 2K Sports nixing the idea of including the Mr. T/Hulk Hogan vs. Piper/Paul Orndorff match from the inaugural WrestleMania in the "30 Years of WrestleMania Mode" of WWE 2K14.

WrestleChat.net reports that it is still possible that Piper could become a downloadable content character somewhere down the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I've been told Mr. T's taunts and stuff are in the Create-A-Wrestler too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Jamie OD wrote: »

They should have just used the "Running Up That Hill" promo for HBK/Taker. Would have added an extra point onto WM mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Had the game 3 days. Initial thoughts:

This is the same old sh*t.

You'd easily know that they were halfway through development when 2K took over. They should have scrapped the whole project and skipped a year and went for Next Gen in Summer 2014 or Winter 2014. Its a pity this franchise still earns money. If it was dwindling they may have went for skipping a year.

Mania mode is a bit "meh".

The frozen screen for 2-3 seconds when it goes to cut-scene mid match is so bad. Look at GTA5. Cut scenes are seemless into the regular game. Yes, I know that had 5 years of development but whats the whole point of installing it to the console for 20mins???!

A LOT of the moves in the game are so badly animated. Christ almighty some of the animations from No Mercy / Warzone are better than this. Onto my next point.

What in the name of christ is up with the Sweet chin Music?!!! Why have the receiver just stand and wobble then fall down?! So so so so so so so bad. This was the same for WWE 13 and they still haven't fixed it. Whats the point in having 5 different HBK's in the game if he can't f*cking kick properly.

Still no proper sharpshooter. The Rock does it the same way as the great Owen Hart did it. Bret does it with the wrong leg. HBK has it as a signature even though he only did it twice in his entire career (and botched it).

The games realism flaws are hugely highlighted when playing with the likes of Hogan and King Kong Bundy. The tactics still involved running around in circles and landing a running grapple. Vintage Hogan with a running bull dog!!! And they should completely disable the ability to go to the top rope with some superstars if they've never gone to the top rope. Being able to do a flying elbow off the top rope with Andre the Giant is just ridiculous and shouldn't even be able to happen in game. Similarly, the likes of Andre shouldn't be able to run. A slow jog if anything.

Why does EVERYONE do that jumping-spin-around-their-back-spinning-neckbreaker???? NO ONE DOES THIS MOVE. Lazy lazy lazy.

Despite having weight detection on, I reversed a running grapple from Big Show with CM Punk into a belly to belly suplex. I guess reversal animations are exempt from weight detection. :rolleyes:

Superstar's hair going through their chest during entrances and victory scenes? OMG this has been happening since Smackdown 1 on the PS1.

All I can say is thank god 2K have taken over. If THQ were still involved we'd probably see the same Yukes junk for another 5 years.

No Curtis Axel? Yeah, he's boring as dirt, but he's been around a long time now. Since April if I recall? He's not even DLC!

Lessons learned here. Looking forward to a 100% 2K production next year if that's the way they decide to go. I'd like to see what they can do with proper time with the licence and a next-gen console.

It's time to scrap the last 10 years and start from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

All I can say is thank god 2K have taken over. If THQ were still involved we'd probably see the same Yukes junk for another 5 years.
    Lessons learned here. Looking forward to a 100% 2K production next year if that's the way they decide to go. I'd like to see what they can do with proper time with the licence and a next-gen console.

It's time to scrap the last 10 years and start from scratch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that 2K have only replaced THQ as the publisher. Yukes are still developing the game?

mooonpie wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that 2K have only replaced THQ as the publisher. Yukes are still developing the game?
    Yep, and 2K took over when the game was halfway being made. Which is why I'm maintaining hope that that's the only reason they stuck with Yukes.

I think you were a bit harsh on the game.
    The frozen screen for 2-3 seconds when it goes to cut-scene mid match is so bad. Look at GTA5. Cut scenes are seemless into the regular game. Yes, I know that had 5 years of development but whats the whole point of installing it to the console for 20mins???!
    Ridiculous expectation there comparing it to GTA V. If they had thrown some sort of "WM MOMENT" transition in no one would even notice, and it's a 1 second pause at most. The point of installing is to stop your save file being 5GB. It installs everything onto the console to make the transitions between match screen and entrances quicker, and it is definitely faster than last year.
    The games realism flaws are hugely highlighted when playing with the likes of Hogan and King Kong Bundy. The tactics still involved running around in circles and landing a running grapple. Vintage Hogan with a running bull dog!!! And they should completely disable the ability to go to the top rope with some superstars if they've never gone to the top rope. Being able to do a flying elbow off the top rope with Andre the Giant is just ridiculous and shouldn't even be able to happen in game. Similarly, the likes of Andre shouldn't be able to run. A slow jog if anything.
    Doing that would just make gimmick characters and characters that aren't fun to play as. I mean who the **** would ever want to play as Andre if he could only slowly walk around the ring? Maybe I'm alone on this but I want the game to be fun to play. If I wanted it to be 100% realistic then every second move from Hogan would be a punch or a rest lock. You're always able to change the move sets if you want. The running grapples aren't as easy a tactic this year since they introduced the fact you need to start to run when you press the button. It's not as easy as it was last year when you just press it and you're off like a shot.
    Despite having weight detection on, I reversed a running grapple from Big Show with CM Punk into a belly to belly suplex. I guess reversal animations are exempt from weight detection. :rolleyes:
    Same as above, do you want characters that are fun to play as and against, or stiff gimmick characters that are cheap?
    Still gonna see the same again. 2K signed off on this as a release sure. You're gonna see basically the same again with a couple of changes next year like always.
    No Curtis Axel? Yeah, he's boring as dirt, but he's been around a long time now. Since April if I recall? He's not even DLC!
    Agree with you there, they could have at least thrown in his moveset or a preset entrance or taken his head from a previous game.

I think a lot of the problems with missing characters and missing promos in WM Mode can be put down to the game being in limbo for two months while they found a producer. By the time 2K bought the rights, they probably just decided to make it playable and not risk trying to rush everything. It's lazy but realistic given the circumstances.

It's far from the worst wrestling game ever made in recent years (TNA Impact) and to me it seems like an extension onto last year's game. It's become the same as FIFA now. As long as the game works years after year they'll just keep making small additions and polishing off stuff they already have. They are NEVER going to start from scratch.

The lads over at newLEGACYinc had an hour long Iron-man match between HBK and "rookie" Hogan, and it was pretty impressive and got really tense towards the end. Yes I watched the whole thing. Live. I need sleep.

Cheers for raining on my parade :P

• Advertisement

Cheers for raining on my parade :P

The 6-man Ladder match is still a glitch-filled mess though, and it's a hilarious glitch-filled mess. Myself and three of the lads were just finding different ways to position the ladders/tables and fall on them to see what would happen.

The 6-man Ladder match is still a glitch-filled mess though, and it's a hilarious glitch-filled mess. Myself and three of the lads were just finding different ways to position the ladders/tables and fall on them to see what would happen.

In my first match with D-Bry and Cena, we ending up fighting 10 feet above the ring. Floating. :P

Adding on from my previous rant, yes it was a bit unfair to compare it to GTA 5.

In terms of realism, look at UFC 3 by THQ.

I played that game with my buddies for well over a year after we all did the career mode. Realistic, yet very fun to play. And the graphics were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Cena/Rock II is my nemesis in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Adding on from my previous rant, yes it was a bit unfair to compare it to GTA 5.

In terms of realism, look at UFC 3 by THQ.

I played that game with my buddies for well over a year after we all did the career mode. Realistic, yet very fun to play. And the graphics were excellent.

The problem with comparing Wrestling games to boxing or Ufc games, with amazing graphics is that the likes of Fight Night, etc.. only have 2 fighters on screen at one time with maybe a ref, whereas Wrestling games need to allow for up to 6 wrestlers and a ref in the ring at a time. So obviously, the boxing / ufc can use like, 3 times more polygons on their models with much more lifelike results.

There was a game for the Xbox, Wrestlemania 21, which ditched the 6-man limit and went back to just 4 in the ring at a time and the graphics got a pretty hefty upgrade as a result. ( the game as a whole was ****e though ).

Can't wait to see what a WWE game on next gen will be like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Looks like we are getting our first DLC pack on Tuesday!
    http://wwe.2k.com/index.php/news/single/us-downloadable-content-in-wwe-2k14

Ridley wrote: »
    Cena/Rock II is my nemesis in this game.

Cena/Rock II is no longer my nemesis in this game.

While I remember, the reversible cover is a nice touch and I flipped that shiznit straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Can't wait to see what a WWE game on next gen will be like

Once they get the simple things right Next Gen I'll be happy. (Also how hard is it for them to give us a realistic crowd?)

Ridley wrote: »
    Cena/Rock II is no longer my nemesis in this game.

While I remember, the reversible cover is a nice touch and I flipped that shiznit straight away.

Its an annoying finale alright, he kept reversing my AA attempts and I was getting hit with Rock Bottoms. Took me about 3/4 goes.

Its an annoying finale alright, he kept reversing my AA attempts and I was getting hit with Rock Bottoms. Took me about 3/4 goes.

Just grappling before going for the AA saves the hassle. :(

• Advertisement

Could not stop laughing at this. The AI for HHH and Cena both attempt to go outside the ring to initiate the double hangman DDT in the ropes. However, they go out opposite sides and end up stuck in a loop for about 5 minutes.

Similar AI problems can be found when trying to realistically recreate Goldberg VS Lesnar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Any idea what Gamestop are offering to trade this in?

Xbox 360 - Available for download January 7th in all regions.
    Playstation 3 - Available for download January 7th in North America, January 8th internationally, and January 9th in Asia.
    WWE.2K.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

First wwe game I didn't buy on launch in years and still haven't bought it, I have grown tired of the format of the game same thing every year, and that's someone who buys FIFA every year, however FIFA seems much more fluid and playable then wrestling games.

Someone mention impact as a terrible game but the way the characters could move in that was impressive and eventually force the wwe games to evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I waited for a couple of weeks for it, and got it for half the price on Amazon or eBay. Was kinda sorry I got it then, cos it's exactly the same as wwe 12 and 13.

I hope 2K kicks Yukes out for the next gen games. I can appreciate that 2k14 was mostly built by THQ when 2K took over, so im holding out hope.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Someone mention impact as a terrible game but the way the characters could move in that was impressive and eventually force the wwe games to evolve.

Genuine story. Mike Johnson knew people involved with the Impact Wrestling game. Before the budget and production time was slashed by the maker falling into financial difficulty they had planned and had motion captured enough moves so that EVERY move EVERY wrestler did was completely unique to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Anyone else feel that some of the matches need a complete revamp, the rumble for instance is a genuine pain in the hole to play in most wwe games I've played! With the next gen I will be expecting the so so much more with a console as powerful as ps4, they should be able to cram loads of stuff into it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

14.99 on the playstation store at the moment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

14.99 on the playstation store at the moment

It's a borderline carbon copy of WWE13. It would need to be closer to 4.99 before I'd even consider it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Sirsok wrote: »

The Unreal engine helped greatly with that. It obliterates the engine Yukes use in the 2k14 game, even though impact was released years ago.

Advertisement