Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it not time that Hospital staff did Jail Time for their errors?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I'm not disagreeing with that - I was just pointing out that the number of doctors qualifying is kept deliberately low by professional unions and that this low supply probably contributes to the work load.

Thats entirely untrue. The HSE had to create extra intern places to accommodate for the rise in Irish medical graduates this year

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its all a systems failure

nobody is to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I'm not disagreeing with that - I was just pointing out that the number of doctors qualifying is kept deliberately low by professional unions and that this low supply probably contributes to the work load.

But we are getting doctors from abroad, we cannot fill the places.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can we differentiate between making an honest mistake and being lazy or negligent?
    I think the OP is suggesting that far more of the latter happens, than is properly penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I blame SkyNet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

no, doctors are people, all people make mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

no, doctors are people, all people make mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Over any extended time line every doctor has a 100% fail rate. So do we jail the doctors as they qualify to be on the safe side?.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Why stop at medical staff. A bag packer at tesco's put heavy fruit in the top of my bag and squished the egg's underneath. It was malicious, surely a week or two in the slammer would curb this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Every doctor should have 'yer average, ordinary citizen- a Joe Soap' following him about and pointing out mistakes.

The man in the street never gets things wrong in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

ken wrote: »
    Over any extended time line every doctor has a 100% fail rate. So do we jail the doctors as they qualify to be on the safe side?.
    You might be on to something there ken, a kind of minority report pre crime medical division, all they'll need are google glasses and an x box connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

One of the reasons for this is that the supply of doctors is kept deliberately low - professional unions block increasing the number of available slots for medical training.

Low supply > high demand > $$$.

Any evidence for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Marsden wrote: »
    Why stop at medical staff. A bag packer at tesco's put heavy fruit in the top of my bag and squished the egg's underneath. It was malicious, surely a week or two in the slammer would curb this type of thing.

Could you eat it after?

Maybe the worker was underfed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This idea is so ridiculous it may actually be taken on board by the government.

To err is human OP. You can't simply throw somebody in jail for this sort of thing, what do you think will happen? More lives would be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Only if they mistakenly kill someone important

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

gctest50 wrote: »

that's different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Only if they mistakenly kill someone important

Let 'em loose on dose bankers deyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Retrospect is an amazing thing but unfortunately it can't change the course of events.

Doctors work in extremely critical and often very stressful and time limited environments. Factor in inefficiently long HSE work hours and it only makes this worse. Doctors make mistakes all the time. Most of the times they're small mistakes they can get away with as these mistakes can easily be corrected. Sometimes bigger mistakes happen which have more lasting impact of the patient. Its human nature to make mistakes and nothing can prevent this. Even machines can fail and malfunction at times. This is why all doctors need to have medical insurance cover to work here and in most other countries. That's what protects them when big screw ups happen.

The loss of a child is always a tragic event. The doctors possibly did make a mistake in that they delayed the investigation for too long which may have had cost the child's life. But we can't jump the gun here. People are innocent until proven guilty. Its only after a full enquiry into the child's case that it can be decided if what the doctors did was right or wrong and if that was what directly resulted in the death of the child and how easily preventable it was. Most medical cases are fairly tricky and at most times it isn't easy to figure out what's going on and what needs to be done. Again in retrospect it may all appear very clear and straight forward what happened and what wasn't done but at the moment things appear much different and challenging. This is why it is very highly stressed that every action that's taken regarding a patient's case is documented into their chart so that if they ever run into any situation such as thing, the course of actions will be well documented and the jury can then decide whether the course of actions were appropriate for the time or there were areas of negligence. Good documentation itself is taken to be an action against negligence which is why as a doctor the most important thing you can do is to chart every single intervention and medical decision down to cover your ass more than anything else!

Advertisement