Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coke

Options
  • 23-04-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭

On this day in 1985 coca cola launched a new formula for coke, which after negative public reaction the original was relaunched.
    Only it wasn't really the original as all traces of coca was removed and sugar replaced with cheap corn starch.
    Was the new coke an ingenious ploy or as Castro said an example of capitalist decadence.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

On this day in 1985 coca cola launched a new formula for coke, which after negative public reaction the original was relaunched.
    Only it wasn't really the original as all traces of coca was removed and sugar replaced with cheap corn starch.
    Was the new coke an ingenious ploy or as Castro said an example of capitalist decadence.

What I find interesting is that coke in America is different than Ireland. In America they have high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

You mean Old Coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I would place more emphasis on effective tactics on Pepsi's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

any new hookers to go with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Personally, I prefer a bitter lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Regardless of how they did it, did they not continue to sell both in at least The States. I remember a visit there during the early 90's and being able to buy both Coke, and Classic Coke.

Still prefer Pepsi my self though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

irish-stew wrote: »
    Regardless of how they did it, did they not continue to sell both in at least The States. I remember a visit there during the early 90's and being able to buy both Coke, and Classic Coke.

Pepsi will never take the shìt off the back of your throat though like the carbonated kick you get in a can of freezing cold coca cola! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

irish-stew wrote: »

Weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Cuke > Coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

gallag wrote: »
    Weirdo.

Its the choice of a new generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Coke Zero ftw.

Much nicer than coke, infinity better than diet coke

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What is this? Reeling in the Years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I was always under the impression that 'New Coke' was a marketing tactic to boost sales of both new Coke upon it's initial release and original Coke when they reverted back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

I don't care about coke. I like cheese

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you know what's awesome? Water.
    maybe a bit of lemon juice in there.

carbonated freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

What if I told you, you were enjoying a coke zero right now?

I'd kick the fuppin head off you ya backstard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

SamHall wrote: »
    Coke Zero ftw.

Much nicer than coke, infinity better than diet coke

All that coke zero and diet coke dirt are full of saccharine that does funny and quite frankly cruel things to a body, like leaving half your insides behind you in the lavatory! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My
    Czarcasm wrote: »
    All that coke zero and diet coke dirt are full of saccharine that does funny and quite frankly cruel things to a body, like leaving half your insides behind you in the lavatory! :(

Meh.....

My granny lived to the ripe old age of 97.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is not true. Coca Cola still uses extracts from Coca leaves, but the cocaine is removed from it. There is a single factory in the USA that is legally allowed to process the leaves, and they then sell the cocaine for medical pharmaceuticals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

We talkin G Ryan coke or K French coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What I find interesting is that coke in America is different than Ireland. In America they have high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar in it.
    Allow me to let you folks in on a little secret:
    - sugar (sucrose) is a combination of glucose and fructose: 50% each.
    - high fructose corn syrup is a combination of glucose and fructose. It is available in different formulations, typically 42% fructose (HFCS 42) or more commonly 55% fructose (HFCS 55).
    - so, the difference between them is: HFCS 55 has 5% more fructose.

If you're going to worry about sugars, you need to worry about all of them - including the ones produced when you digest any carbohydrates.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What about that Pepsi Max...eh???

This was only in the US because of the farming subsidies which favour HFCS. They still use cane sugar in other countries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you know what's awesome? Water.
    maybe a bit of lemon juice in there.

carbonated freaks.
    Ewww lemon water, weirdo! Normal water is lovely.

I think the formula varies in most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I only drink Dr Pepper, at least it's endorsed by a practising member of the medical profession!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Actually, a few years back my old man was taking up some old floor boards in the house when he stumbled across a VERY old super can of Coca Cola, in exceptional condition. It's completely dent free. I'd hazard a guess that there are not too many of them about. I reckon it's from the 70s or 80s. Anywhere I could get it assessed?

I'm sure there are some coke freaks out there willing to part with millions for this kind of thing? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Fizman wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some coke freaks out there willing to part with millions for this kind of thing? :pac:

This guy paid $80 for a 20 year old Pepsi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGwibPdEOVk

Money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd rather Dr. Pepper, he's the best doctor around.

Appendix about to burst? Dr. Pepper will sort you out.

Advertisement