Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is money everything?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Seachmall wrote: »
    Amish folks and hippies live and have fun without money.

When was the last time you saw an Amish dude in a strip club getting feebies??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

This falls under what I said above already. An amish person has never had money so can't compare their quality of life. They've just worked the land all their lives.

But your friend said people can live happy without money. He didn't say anything about going from middle or upper class to moneyless (I'm assuming, obviously I wasn't there).

Even still here's a guy who went from middle class to moneyless and enjoys it so much he wants to remain moneyless (I think he's currently working to fund a project of his but will be returning to his moneyless lifestyle when he finishes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Seachmall wrote: »
    Amish folks and hippies live and have fun without money.
    The Amish are exceedingly wealthy and so are a damn load of Hippies. They can act Hippy because they have a quiet little business bubbling away in the background. You must never have seen an Amish home. God damn they're well appointed. No flash, but a lot of cash. Very shrewd business people. It's cars they don't have, not money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

Tis everything when you don't have it, and the worry of how to get by and pay bills feed kids etc takes it's toll and wears you down, therefore health suffers. Also money can help pay for medical bills if unwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

Purely in the interest of scientific research I am prepared to put this to the test. Can you send me a lot of money and then some more money and then maybe a shed load of money after that. I will then have this money and use it and see does it indeed make me happy and is it in fact everything . I will of course report my findings in due course.( From some sun kissed beach in the tropics lol )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I'd rather have my kids & gf being poor than being a millionaire without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Health and freedom are mentioned a lot in this thread.

There are a lot of health issues that can't be cured regardless of wealth.

If you're lucky enough to acquire a vast amount of money without hard work - that's freedom sorted.

So, lots of money with no personal effort required can maintain freedom.

I would love to have enough money to avoid ever having to work again, and be able to do what I wanted without having to consider finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I tend to agree with Spike Milligan....

'Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Health and freedom are mentioned a lot in this thread.

There are a lot of health issues that can't be cured regardless of wealth.

There's more health issues that can be resolved with money...

• Advertisement

There's more health issues that can be resolved with money...
    You'll eventually die anyway.

Long life of misery or short, fulfilled and carefree life?

I'd take the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

The pursuit of money can turn you into a total arsehole. Beyond a certain level of comfort you don't really need to be mega rich.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

You'll eventually die anyway.

Long life of misery or short, fulfilled and carefree life?

I'd take the latter.

Where's the misery? How is the life fulfilled and carefree with no money?

You'd have to put up with agonising pain that you can't cure cause you've no money? Stuck in a bed cause you can't afford to get yourself looked after?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why do people always assume those who are rich are miserable? and vice versa?

Where's the misery? How is the life fulfilled and carefree with no money?

You'd have to put up with agonising pain that you can't cure cause you've no money? Stuck in a bed cause you can't afford to get yourself looked after?
    Fulfilled and carefree - I said money you didn't have to work for (not realistic apart from inheritance/lottery win etc.), so you're able to do what you want without worrying about paying bills.

:confused: I never mentioned an agonising death, but you can have that rich or poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

A well man wishes for everything, where a sick man only wishes for one thing.

krudler wrote: »
    Why do people always assume those who are rich are miserable?
    It's to make us poor people feel good

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

in the wise words of kanye west; "having money's not everything, not having it is"

I don't think I'd feel very comfortable being a billionaire, mind, too paranoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

1./ Win lotto.
    2./ Copy Jay-Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Theres one thing money can't buy..... A Dinosaur.

Can anyone name the famous intellectual that said this??

• Advertisement

bmwguy wrote: »
    Theres one thing money can't buy..... A Dinosaur.

Can anyone name the famous intellectual that said this??

T-Rex????

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Advertisement