Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is money everything?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 7:50pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the course of a few nights out this question kept creeping up.

One of my mates is absolutely adamant that money does not make you happy. My argument is that you can't do anything without money. By this I mean, live in a house, eat, go to the pub, travel, etc.

Of course you can live in a forest or whatever and live off the land but I fail to see how that persons life would be more enjoyable than someone who is travelling the world by private jet, dumping money on the wheel in Vegas, driving fancy cars - whatever it is, it's got to be better than not having money.

Money to me is pretty much everything. A lot of people will say they disagree but IMO, you're only lying to yourself. Obviously I love my family, GF, dogs but I couldn't see my family without money (live abroad), couldn't feed my dogs, could do extremely limited things with my missus.

Anyways, what's your take on it? Do you think money is everything?

EDIT: Just to point out, I'm not talking about being a multi billionaire... The above was just an example off the top of my head. We're on about normal, everyday, average money.

Is money everything? 39 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Money isn't everything... but it buys (almost) everything.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

It takes the sting out of being poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Good health has to be the number one priority, but after that - yes, I will vote for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

id take health over money any day of the week... or the fact that i can see/hear/walk etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

No, but when I find a tenner in a pair of trousers I had forgotten about, fantabulous!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

annascott wrote: »
    Good health has to be the number one priority, but after that - yes, I will vote for the money.

A healthy homeless person doesn't sound like a great living...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The most important thing about money is that it buys you freedom, it always has and probably always will. There are things more important than money/freedom like family, love, friends, sex, time and so on but you'll never have real freedom without money.

Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

Money is great, I love it as much as the next, however GOOD HEALTH is most definitely the most important thing that one can have.

My father is currently going thru chemo therapy and my 8 month old daughter is in hospital since Saturday with a virus..

Money cannot do anything for the above two cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Over the course of a few nights out this question kept creeping up.

One of my mates is absolutely adamant that money does not make you happy. My argument is that you can't do anything without money. By this I mean, live in a house, eat, go to the pub, travel, etc.

Of course you can live in a forest or whatever and live off the land but I fail to see how that persons life would be more enjoyable than someone who is travelling the world by private jet, dumping money on the wheel in Vegas, driving fancy cars - whatever it is, it's got to be better than not having money.

Money to me is pretty much everything. A lot of people will say they disagree but IMO, you're only lying to yourself. Obviously I love my family, GF, dogs but I couldn't see my family without money (live abroad), couldn't feed my dogs, could do extremely limited things with my missus.

Anyways, what's your take on it? Do you think money is everything?
    Well, that wouldn't appeal to everyone. I prefer a much simpler life myself, happiest growing my own etc. That kind of life wouldn't appeal to me at all. I can understand your thinking on the more basic level of having somewhere to live and all that, but it wouldn't have to be extravagant. Just not having to struggle with bills would be nice, that would make me happy.

Catphish wrote: »
    Well, that wouldn't appeal to everyone. I prefer a much simpler life myself, happiest growing my own etc. That kind of life wouldn't appeal to me at all. I can understand your thinking on the more basic level of having somewhere to live and all that, but it wouldn't have to be extravagant. Just not having to struggle with bills would be nice, that would make me happy.

Hence why I put in "whatever it is". That was a generic thing to do with a shít load of money. You are supposed to insert what you would do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Let me put it like this, I'd rather be rich and unhappy than poor and miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Money wont make you happy but lack of it will make you sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No. I don't think it's "everything". That makes no sense. But I rate it as extremely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A healthy homeless person doesn't sound like a great living...

People do live happily off the grid/self sufficiently.

For me money is a necessary evil. I hate the idea of being dependent on others for everything from food to transport and so on. There's obviously a great level of convenience there but then again in order to maintain that level of convenience you need to work 40 hours a week, which kind of defeats the point.
    I fail to see how that persons life would be more enjoyable than someone who is travelling the world by private jet, dumping money on the wheel in Vegas, driving fancy cars - whatever it is
    Well that just means it wouldn't make you happy. Others love that lifestyle.

I'm obsessed with the 'urban minimalist' lifestyle myself. One of my friends thinks it's idiotic. C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Hence why I put in "whatever it is". That was a generic thing to do with a shít load of money. You are supposed to insert what you would do.
    I know what you meant, but I remain on the money isn't everything side. I don't have a lot to go on now, but despite money struggles I do have happiness in my life that has nothing to do with money whatsoever. I'm content with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Health, freedom then money. I know people that are wealthy but due to stress and long hours the just can't enjoy it and time isn't waiting on them.

Seachmall wrote: »
    People do live happily off the grid/self sufficiently.

For me money is a necessary evil. I hate the idea of being dependent on others for everything from food to transport and so on. There's obviously a great level of convenience there but then again in order to maintain that level of convenience you need to work 40 hours a week, which kind of defeats the point.

Yea I agree some people are happy living off the land. But some of those people may have never had money in their lives so can't compare it. They could be content with life at the moment but would be happier with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I can never understand the appeal of being rich tbh.
    Because I assume that's what we are talking about here - because everyone clearly wants/needs enough money to get by -although 'getting by' is subjective.
    If I were rich, I'd probably just give most of it away to charities or fund some empirical research or other.
    I get sick of having very little money sometimes, but it's all relative really.
    There are things I would like money for - mostly related to education, travel, and my kids.
    But in general, nah - don't see the appeal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Everything needs balance, there's a happy middle ground between having FA and owning land and people. It varies for everyone. I'd rather be handed enough to live on and enjoy dinner out every once in a while than owning half of the country and having no time off. A lot of people, particularly people with children, will do anything to avoid extra hours, even if the overtime rate, promotion or whatever is lucrative. Once they have enough to get by that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wisdom win

Better to be born lucky than to be born rich ;)

• Advertisement

Yea I agree some people are happy living off the land. But some of those people may have never had money in their lives so can't compare it. They could be content with life at the moment but would be happier with money.

Likewise some rich people could be very happy if they were living off the land.

I read an article on Steve Jobs after he died called something like "What did it cost him?". He was obviously an extremely wealthy man but according the article he was not a happy man. His obsession with perfection drove him down dark paths. By all accounts he was happiest as a broke college student.

I'd be happy enough working a dead end job if it gave me more hours in the day to work on my own projects. But then again I'm still young and have no responsibilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Having lots of money is amazing, but It's best having it with a healthy mindset and high self esteem to begin with.

IMO a happy individual becomes happier when rich, an unhappy individual becomes more unhappy when rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If your basic needs can't be met, money is everything. Beyond a certain point of basic necessity, money is no longer everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I think money is a bit like oxygen. If I have less than I need, then life is unpleasant. But if I have some reasonable amount, then I dont really want any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Nope, money isn't everything.

People with money, will generally say that money is the one of the most important things in the world, and don't know the real value of money. Or that their lives would fall apart if they didn't have a reasonable amount. You can go out and buy the latest iPhone, laptop, gadget. Throwing it around basically. It'll make you happy for a period of time, but ultimately? No.
    Money does help improve situations, money can help solve problems. In things such as healthcare, I don't believe there should be a private/public, just because one person can afford it and get their illness or operation faster, and the other has to suffer for a period of weeks/months.

Everything has to have a balance to work, raising children to give them the very best in life, treats and gifts frequently etc., is a very bad move. The kids don't learn the value of money. Give them your time and efforts, love, treat them on birthdays etc, teach them to realise the value of money by waiting, and they'll appreciate it more.
    Those kinds of things are always more important than money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Money in itself is nothing, a means to an end. You could just as easily argue it's all about your health, without that you can do nothing. Or without liberty, you can do nothing. If you have a reasonable amount of all 3, you don't worry about them and move onto other things.

Money obviously isn't the be-all and end-all of our lives, or we wouldn't spend any time doing anything that didn't generate money.

For me, the one constant in everyone's priorities, is being liked/admired/respected/envied by those around us. As we go through life, it dominates what we do: wanting to be loved by our parents/older siblings, then trying to win the approval of our friends in school, then trying to be liked by the opposite (or same) sex, then winning the respect of our work colleagues/competitors, being envied by our neighbours, having the clever/funny comment on internet forums or social networks, being loved by our children etc..... Our happiness stems from how well we fit in there.

Just for the record, I'm not talking about mega billions here. Just money. Like an average amount of money from a normal average job.

Housemates point was that you don't need money to live or have fun. I disagreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....but the powers that be like people to think that money is not of paramount importance so that the poor masses do not get mad jealous of the rich and try and take their wealth off them.

The myth of the unhappy rich is spread around to make the poorer people happier in their lot but that is all it is .... a myth.

In Western developed societies money is of paramount importance as many people in Ireland are now finding out as they run the risk of losing their homes, their health and their relationships in the face of severe money shortages and lack of quality employment opportunities.

"Money will not make you happy" is a legend similar to the one about "violence is futile in political affairs" or "crime doesnt pay" etc. but for many individuals violence works and crime DOES pay. Only the powers that be do not want you to know this.

Housemates point was that you don't need money to live or have fun. I disagreed.

Amish folks and hippies live and have fun without money.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    Amish folks and hippies live and have fun without money.

This falls under what I said above already. An amish person has never had money so can't compare their quality of life. They've just worked the land all their lives.

Advertisement