Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If the price of petrol and road tax wasn't an issue..

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....sorry for being the 'anti' here, but................why do we torture ourselves with questions like this ? In fairness, your chances of getting to Space .........(even if it's via the Lynx competition) are better than getting our 'shower' to resolve the tax system fairly............

...and I'm supposed to be a petrol head !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

.... The penny has finally dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....sorry for being the 'anti' here, but................why do we torture ourselves with questions like this ? In fairness, your chances of getting to Space .........(even if it's via the Lynx competition) are better than getting our 'shower' to resolve the tax system fairly............

...and I'm supposed to be a petrol head !

It's a bit of fun, that's all. Is fun not allowed anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... The penny has finally dropped.

...a week in Germany last week including a BMW factory tour as well as other automotive recreation has served to illuminate the depth of our.....futility..... :(

....And I come back to find that we have to work into our 70s and today they pay that winker €800k + ????

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

Evo 5 or 6 and/or a toyota chaser for weekend and general hooing,toyota landcruiser for weekdays,all pretty affordable right now for me to buy but as the thread title says its the tax and fuel prices that totally put it off for me :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

rocky wrote: »
    1809 actually :(
    I used the figure from the tax disk in the windscreen of the car in the link. But lets nof fall out over a couple hundred euro.It's still a rob for a 10 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

C5 RS6+
    C6 S6 or even just the 4.2FSI both in Avant

but anything that dose the 1/4 mile in under 13.5,handles well and has a few toys and is auto would interest me.

Next car is likely a facelift C6 A6 2L TDi S Line or Le Mans Avant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

If the price of fuel wasnt an issue.....

I'd be fecking loaded !!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Something I could afford in the future....evo 7/8 or e46 M3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

if tax and petrol wasn't an issue..

same car volvo s80 2.5turbo or 2.9.. whichever is more powerful and faster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

1979-bmw-m1-no-sale-at-140000-ac-640.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

sogood wrote: »
    "Give me the ability to change the things I can, and to accept the things I cannot"

Get a limo licence and tax , 80E a year, drive as many luxobarges as you like:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

650i Vert :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

lomb wrote: »
    Get a limo licence and tax , 80E a year, drive as many luxobarges as you like:cool:
    Yes, if it were only that simple. Factor in the insurance costs, plus the accountancy fees for when revenue send you a tax bill of their choice and a whole lot of small print to be dealt with. Like I said, it's not so much an issue, it's my choice, but I'd love to save a few more luxobarges if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

VRT, petrol and well not so much tax.
    Over the two cars at the moment tax is around €1800 a year!

But I'd love to have a Chevy camero or a dodge challenger.

And not forgetting a Maserati Quattroporte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Mercedes-Benz-Zestros-107-626x382.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The weekend vehicle would be a Ford F450 diesel, with a lot of tuning work done to the engine and gearbox, with all the comfort pack items and the toys. It's got enough room for the bikes and kayaks, and enough grunt to have a decent level of fun getting to the top of whatever I would be going down.

The holiday/roadtrip car would be something like a HSV Clubsport R8 Tourer, with a ll the TSW toys onboard. A little bit different, and definitely standing out from the crowd in a good way :)

The daily driver would have to be something like a W124 E500. Quite like those cars..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

eleanor_conv_01_zps1e11c626.jpg

That makes me

19889823_zps115d243b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Gives me the giddies each time I see one, i.e. rarely.

MG_3503.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pjmn

520d
    > M5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Jaguar XKR convertible. Second hand (or should I say pre-owned :)) naturally as I believe in letting someone else take the hit and seeing as I won't have to worry about the tax or petrol I will be able to own my dream car at last. Oh how I wish this thread was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

i think this thread should be renamed 'if the price of petrol and tax wasn't an issue what BMW would you buy'

Advertisement