Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You pick the IRUPA Player of the Year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Went for Zebo of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

its_phil wrote: »
    Trimble was good this year but Gilroy, Zebo and Fitz were better choices. I'm a big Trimble fan too.

Better choices because you like them more as players? Or better choices because they played better this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Good to see Williams in there, you'd just wonder why he didn't perform when at Munster. Well done Ulster on a good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Better choices because you like them more as players? Or better choices because they played better this year?

Well Zebo was playing better than Trimble up until then IMO, Gilroy had taken like a duck to water at international level in the AI's it would have been harsh and Fitzgerald looked very dangerous in the previous weeks.

And I don't think their selections were unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rightwing wrote: »
    Good to see Williams in there, you'd just wonder why he didn't perform when at Munster. Well done Ulster on a good signing.

Different game plan, didn't play to his strengths and he was injured. Munster played him a fair bit at flanker. He's not a workhorse designed to go through phase play and hit rucks. You want him taking first phase ball in one on one situations as he has done for Ulster and ploughing over the gain line. It never made any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Buer wrote: »
    Different game plan, didn't play to his strengths and he was injured. Munster played him a fair bit at flanker. He's not a workhorse designed to go through phase play and hit rucks. You want him taking first phase ball in one on one situations as he has done for Ulster and ploughing over the gain line. It never made any sense.

Well put. He wasn't the only one, likes of Mafi completely lost form too. But good luck to him, always a good sign of a player when they can bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I never said he wasn't Ulsters player of the year, albeit Williams has been excellent, and I know Trimble has been excellent this year.

But for this 6N's the players picked ahead of him were probably correct. The likes of Zebo, Gilroy and even Fitz were suppose to be a breath of fresh air. I'd have had no qualms with Trimble but I still would have liked to of seen those guys given a chance too.

Like I said I'm a big Trimble fan. A very honest player who is very consistent.

I'm not disagreeing about Ireland, Zebo in particular deserves to be there and for whatever reason Gilroy seems to be more likely to tear it up at test level than Trimble and yet maybe the reverse is true at provincial level. Given Nick Williams is on the list I assumed this award wasn't just restricted to internationals which is why I'd put Trimble's name forward. I'm not saying he should win it, I would go for Zebo myself, but he has been one of the most consistently good players in Ireland all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Think some people are forgetting huge chunks of this past season.

For me it's Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I hardly think his own work union is giving him the two fingers

Trimble was good this year but Gilroy, Zebo and Fitz were better choices. I'm a big Trimble fan too.
    Well Zebo was playing better than Trimble up until then IMO, Gilroy had taken like a duck to water at international level in the AI's it would have been harsh and Fitzgerald looked very dangerous in the previous weeks.

And I don't think their selections were unjustified.

Fitz has played 5 games this year. Hardly player of the season stuff. Even looking at their relative history shows Trimble to be a more prolific try scorer. Given the fact that for a lot of his career he was playing in an inferior back line to Fitz it says a lot about Trimble. 52 tries in 159 games to Fitz's 26 tries in 108. Chuck in the Irish mix and it's even more apparent. Trimble 49 games 11 tries, Fitz 26 games 2 tries. Trimble isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread but he is a lot better than he is often given credit for. I would certainly say that the selection of Fitz over Trimble this year was totally unjustified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Think some people are forgetting huge chunks of this past season.

For me it's Healy.

You cant bet on yourself Cian. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Trimble on the list at least.... anyone with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that this list is shockingly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Great to see Williams in there. Every time I have seen him play he has been outstanding. Skillful, powerful, destructive. When he's fit he is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Grimebox wrote: »
    I think the one thing we can all agree on is that this list is shockingly bad

Henderson has had a cracker year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

Yes - he deserves his place - he has been consistently good all season which is really what this award should be for. Chris Henry was superb up until his injury too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

They should change the name of the award to the 'Most Eye Catching Irish Rugby Player Of The Year Award,' rather than the actual one who has been the very best player. How for example would Zebo look if other players didn't bust their balls to give him the ball? Kearney was European Player of the year on the basis of his sensational high ball work. If they analysed the rest of his game - e.g.. he makes ground but never passes the feckin' ball to better placed team mates - I doubt he would have been at the very top of the list. SOB got it for his line bursting runs among other things. The players at the coal face, the piano shifters, usually never really get a look in compared to the ballerinas....not that I would call Sean a ballerina.:D

Looking at the most improved players this season has been in more interesting in many ways. We know Zebo and Gilroy are great. If they were unavailable we have plenty of guys to take their places. Bowe, Fitz, Trimble, LOD. to name but a few. One of the most important players in the Island in this regard is Fergus McFadden. Played endlessly out of position but he is fearless and very effective no matter where he plays. Improving or returning players like Michael Allen, Robbie Diack, Sherry, McGrath, Ryan etc make the future a little less uncertain. Even the much maligned (by me anyway) Archer has looked almost o.k. recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jacothelad wrote: »
    They should change the name of the award to the 'Most Eye Catching Irish Rugby Player Of The Year Award,' rather than the actual one who has been the very best player. How for example would Zebo look if other players didn't bust their balls to give him the ball? Kearney was European Player of the year on the basis of his sensational high ball work. If they analysed the rest of his game - e.g.. he makes ground but never passes the feckin' ball to better placed team mates - I doubt he would have been at the very top of the list. SOB got it for his line bursting runs among other things. The players at the coal face, the piano shifters, usually never really get a look in compared to the ballerinas....not that I would call Sean a ballerina.:D

Looking at the most improved players this season has been in more interesting in many ways. We know Zebo and Gilroy are great. If they were unavailable we have plenty of guys to take their places. Bowe, Fitz, Trimble, LOD. to name but a few. One of the most important players in the Island in this regard is Fergus McFadden. Played endlessly out of position but he is fearless and very effective no matter where he plays. Improving or returning players like Michael Allen, Robbie Diack, Sherry, McGrath, Ryan etc make the future a little less uncertain. Even the much maligned (by me anyway) Archer has looked almost o.k. recently.

I'm sorry but you can't make a case for Niall O'Connor no matter how you try to spin it jaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

jacothelad wrote: »

Looking at the most improved players this season has been in many ways more interesting in many ways. We know Zebo and Gilroy are great. If they were unavailable we have plenty of guys to take their places. Bowe, Fitz, Trimble, LOD. One of the most important players in the Island in this regard is Fergus McFadden. Played endlessly out of position but he is fearless and very effective no matter where he plays. Improving or returning players like Robbie Diack, Sherry, Ryan make the future a little less uncertain. Even the much maligned (by me anyway) Archer has looked almost o.k. recently.

I'd agree with your logic here jaco but I don't agree with the Kearney/SOB comments. SOB had a great tournament, not just his rampaging runs, but he was an absolute divil on the deck and his link play was outstanding. His offload was more dangerous than his carrying! Plus he wasn't shy of the dirty work, or piano shifting if you will, and his clear out rate was outstanding. Whenever he was away with Ireland Leinster's poll protection went to muck. Kearney also had a huge hand in rectifying our strike running which we were missing the year before. Aside from his high-ball work he was imperious in breaking the tackle and actually managed to pass the ball a lot in that season! That DG in Clermont is probably a great example of how his presence helped his team win a back-to-back H-Cup.

But I agree with the rest. For me, there's a host of Ulster players that should be on that list, and I'm not sure if Williams should be on it. Someone like Diack who gets through a massive amount of work should be up there. Or Payne, who's literally been a revelation to the Ulster backline. Or indeed Trimble, who's added a senior presence on the team and has kept the score board ticking in multples of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

.ak wrote: »
    That DG in Clermont is probably a great example of how his presence helped his team win a back-to-back H-Cup.

That was one of the great performances by a Full back in the history of the HC, tremendous example of all round skills in kicking, running, catching and positional play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

.ak wrote: »
    I'd agree with your logic here jaco but I don't agree with the Kearney/SOB comments. SOB had a great tournament, not just his rampaging runs, but he was an absolute divil on the deck and his link play was outstanding. His offload was more dangerous than his carrying! Plus he wasn't shy of the dirty work, or piano shifting if you will, and his clear out rate was outstanding. Whenever he was away with Ireland Leinster's poll protection went to muck. Kearney also had a huge hand in rectifying our strike running which we were missing the year before. Aside from his high-ball work he was imperious in breaking the tackle and actually managed to pass the ball a lot in that season! That DG in Clermont is probably a great example of how his presence helped his team win a back-to-back H-Cup.

But I agree with the rest. For me, there's a host of Ulster players that should be on that list, and I'm not sure if Williams should be on it. Someone like Diack who gets through a massive amount of work should be up there. Or Payne, who's literally been a revelation to the Ulster backline. Or indeed Trimble, who's added a senior presence on the team and has kept the score board ticking in multples of 5.

Plus RK was a major part of that crucial Healy try in the SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Nick Williams won

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BIG. NICK. WILLIAMS.

Munster fans must be bewildered, flop at Munster to a hero in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    BIG. NICK. WILLIAMS.

I've felt "slightly bitter" at least 10 times this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well done to the big man, or Fat Nick Williams as legions of underwhelmed Ulster fans monikered him when he signed. What started as a slightly insulting nickname is now a term of endearment or at least the abbreviated version of FNW is.

Word to Leinster fans, FNW's story is a cautionary tale as to why you shouldn't be writing of Zane Kirchner just yet!

Anyway well done to the out of control head bobbing hulk machine and I hope we see some more psycho head bobbing over the next three weeks!

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've felt "slightly bitter" at least 10 times this season.

The incredible hulk in full flight is a joy to behold, a sight that should be appreciated by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

awec wrote: »
    BIG. NICK. WILLIAMS.

He just couldn't stay fit when he was with
    Munster. He looked like a good player when he available but that wasn't very often. In fairness he had a good season last year in Italy as well.

Took him about 5 months to change a branded nickname of Fat Nick to Big Nick which has become the Incredible Hulk over the course of the season. That in itself is an achievement!

Deserves it imo, he's not the most technical rugby player, but he's great to watch with ball in hand steamrolling through groups of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

He just couldn't stay fit when he was with
    Munster. He looked like a good player when he available but that wasn't very often. In fairness he had a good season last year in Italy as well.

I think the issue was that he didn't try to stay fit at Munster. He was always talented and had some great games for Munster against lesser opposition though. Anscombe obviously knows how to get the best out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I criticised him during the season and I was wrong. He's not just a one dimensional bosher, He's a three dimensional bosher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Although fitness was certainly an issue at Munster, he did have a significant injury free spell whilst there in his second season for a few months. As big an issue was that Munster just didn't know how to tailor the game plan to his skills (nor should they have, I don't think he was a good fit for them overall). They played a hard and fast rucking game to get them over the gain line and punch holes through the centres or pin teams back through their half backs. All of their pack were incredibly fit and filled a specific function. Munster played him as a flanker as much as they did at 8 which didn't suit him at all and completely diminished his abilities. He was never someone that's going to hit rucks all day and go through phase play.

He's a fantastic carrier and distributor at 8. Give him the ball in one on one situations or meeting stationary defenders off the back of the scrum and there's only ever one winner. Delighted to see him get the recognition he deserves and put to bed some snide comments that have followed him around from sections of all corners of the island.

Advertisement