Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You pick the IRUPA Player of the Year

Options
  • 23-04-2013 12:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭

Leinster prop Cian Healy, Munster back Simon Zebo and Ulster number eight Nick Williams have been nominated by the Irish Rugby Union Players’ Association, (Irupa) for the Player of the Year award.

Who deserves it in your opinion?

Who should win the award? 123 votes

Cian Healy
    0% 0 votes
    Simon Zebo
    39% 49 votes
    Nick Williams
    44% 55 votes
    Other
    15% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd probably have given it to Madigan or POM. But of the three probably Williams just edging Healy because I've seen more of Ulster than Leinster over the course of the year and Williams is so destructive. Great comeback to Irish rugby.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The incredible hulk hasn't been the same post-injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think its a bit of an odd selection myself, though I guess no one has really stood out massively in a poor enough year for Irish rugby. I think Healy is the best player on that list, but for sheer impact I'm tempted to go for Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Zebo of those 3.

Bit of an odd list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Madigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I pick Madigan but as he isn't there I'll go with Zebo because I like his flair. Cian Healy could contend for this award annually because his standards just don't seem to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Healy for his consistent excellence more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well, Jared Payne has clearly been sleeping with the wife of someone in the IRUPA. Only explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'd have gone for Payne myself, there's no real stand out candidates otherwise, out of the 3 I'd go with Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 badnewsbear

Probably would have gone Pom or Sean o brien but Healy from this list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Think its a bit of an odd selection myself, though I guess no one has really stood out massively in a poor enough year for Irish rugby. I think Healy is the best player on that list, but for sheer impact I'm tempted to go for Williams.

Williams has missed a third of the season with injury and still has had 7 or 8 motms that he fully deserved. I don't think he has fully recovered from that knee problem...(was that the injury that fecked him over at Munster?>) Considering how many Ulster fans - not me - wrote him off before he pulled on a shirt - (see Zane Kirchner), he has been a revelation. He isn't the best No. 8 ever to play for Ulster but he is feckin' great with the ball in hand..... he entertains and is effective - mostly.

I don't think Healy has had a great season by his standards. He has looked very off colour in the last few games especially. (He needs a shoulder op I think.) Even Ulster loosehead Ricki Lutton in his first game as a tight head wasn't exactly stuffed out of sight. When Archer looks good against someone usually as good as Cian, there is something amiss...albeit Archer, while he has always been very good in the loose but a marshmallow in the scrum, seems to have added a good level of aggression in the scrummaging stakes and is beginning - maybe - to get up to speed.

Zebo is Zebo. Brilliant, eye catching player. Other wingers have been just as effective - or more so - this year though. The unfashionable Andrew Trimble for example. I don't think his back flick - while absolutely fantastic is enough reason alone to pick him. He is the most exciting player for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Strange shortlist! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

Zebo for me he has star quality.

Healy is a fine player but dont think he has quite hit the heights of last season. I think the likes of Ryan, Murray, Henderson, Marshall, Gilroy, Madigan, SOB, Jackson, Sexton, Strauss, POM, Couglan, McCarthy and Marmion have all had good seasons but I think the lack of Ireland success plus not a stellar HC year has affected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Cian Healy because LEEIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNSTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

shuffol wrote: »
    I'd have gone for Payne myself, there's no real stand out candidates otherwise, out of the 3 I'd go with Healy.

Payne's injury probably stopped him going up for the award, then again Williams has missed periods of the season as well. To be honest if it is one nomination per province then I'd have gone with Trimble.

Zebo for the main award for me, just because of the excitement he brings to the game as well as the fact he's played well also.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,107 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i wouldnt have had any of those three as best players for their clubs all season.....

Who comes up with the nominations? The players? Jonny Sexton? Some IRUPA committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

i dont know but they are odd.
    Madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

POM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A surprising shortlist. Healy has had an average year by his own standards, not even Leinster's best player.

I know this is a players thing but I think if you were selecting from the provinces' best and most consistent performers you would pick from

Ian Madigan
    Chris Henry/Craig Gilroy
    Peter O'Mahony
    Mike McCarthy/Robbie Henshaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Why does Irish rugby continuously give two fingers to Andrew Trimble.

Top Irish scorer in the Magners League this year, but this apparently is not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Top Irish scorer in the Magners League this year, but this apparently is not relevant.

He's been tried time and again at international level but he's a bit of a paddy Wallace; can look great at Rabo and even HEC level, but can't seem to replicate that standard when he moves up to international games.

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I hardly think his own work union is giving him the two fingers

Trimble was good this year but Gilroy, Zebo and Fitz were better choices. I'm a big Trimble fan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A surprising shortlist. Healy has had an average year by his own standards, not even Leinster's best player.

I know this is a players thing but I think if you were selecting from the provinces' best and most consistent performers you would pick from

Ian Madigan
    Chris Henry/Craig Gilroy
    Peter O'Mahony
    Mike McCarthy/Robbie Henshaw

McCarthy has been nowhere near the best or most consistent player for Connacht all season. Ireland and Leinster distractions have seen to that. Willie Faloon would probably be the one you're looking for.

its_phil wrote: »
    I hardly think his own work union is giving him the two fingers

Trimble was good this year but Gilroy, Zebo and Fitz were better choices. I'm a big Trimble fan too.

Trimble has been Ulster's best player this season. Don't just take my word for it go check out the Ulster MB and check out the player of the season thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Zebo for me, and not just for the heel. He's been fantastic all season

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Trimble is probably the in-form Irish winger and has been all season.

bilston wrote: »
    Trimble has been Ulster's best player this season. Don't just take my word for it go check out the Ulster MB and check out the player of the season thread.

I never said he wasn't Ulsters player of the year, albeit Williams has been excellent, and I know Trimble has been excellent this year.

But for this 6N's the players picked ahead of him were probably correct. The likes of Zebo, Gilroy and even Fitz were suppose to be a breath of fresh air. I'd have had no qualms with Trimble but I still would have liked to of seen those guys given a chance too.

Like I said I'm a big Trimble fan. A very honest player who is very consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Can't really understand how Healy is nominated for this. Don't think he's had a great season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Zebo for me others would be Madigan, Henderson and Marshall

Advertisement