Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATMs to give out €5 & €10

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

cson wrote: »
    Yes I'll just go to the Automated Teller Machine Machine. :pac:

Wouldn't that be a machine that makes ATM's ???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

summerskin wrote: »
    don't get any charges with ulster bank

For now.

Like they were going to bring them in just after their big debacle last year.

They'll just wait until the dust settles/annoyed people with other banks transfer their business to them and then bring them in.

Nowt surer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Some irish people have problems enough using ATMs without adding that option.

:P

That's probably why there's six of them in the room. if two get deadlocked by some idiot trying to figure out the options at least there's another 4 for the "normal" folks to work away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Mr.S wrote: »
    People still use cash?

card payments ftw.
    A shop near me had to stop using the card reader because they were being charged a fortune to have it. First they had a minimum spend on it, then they got rid of it, then they closed down. :(
    Pub/shop up the road from me doesn't have a card reader in it either. It simply costs them too much to have!

It's different in the big schmoke though!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

davet82 wrote: »
    I knew Ulster bank did at one time but I didn't think any of them did anymore

Back in the day, UB defo used to give out £5 notes for sure - the ones I remember were near colleges, to allow a student to take out enough money for a few pints (back when you could get a few pints for a fiver). Good times:D

• Advertisement

UB in TCD used to give out fivers years ago.

Saved me a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Mr.S wrote: »
    People still use cash?

card payments ftw.

I have noticed more small shops and cafes who don't accept card payments recently.

We are still far from a Cashless society,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I remember getting out 5ers back in the 90s. I can remember the utter despair at attempting to withdraw 5 pound only to be told i had insufficent funds. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

anncoates wrote: »
    For now.

Like they were going to bring them in just after their big debacle last year.

They'll just wait until the dust settles/annoyed people with other banks transfer their business to them and then bring them in.

Nowt surer.

They announced their charges today. €4 a month from July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

They announced their charges today. €4 a month from July.
    Welp that's me off to PTSB

• Advertisement

Sometimes you just want to flash the fivers...

Affluence! Affluence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Uriel. wrote: »
    But seriously, I was in a Bank in Brussels. around 11pm - basically a room at the side of the bank with 6 ATMs (a little like the BoI on O'Connell Street, Dublin) - glass doors - to get in you had to scan your debit card (My irish one worked).

When using the ATMs you choose the amount you want to withdraw and then choose the denominations you want. e.g. withdrawing €200 you could choose 1 €50 note, 5x €20 3 x €10 and 4 x €5. It was brilliant. can't see why we can't have something like that here.

considering how long most women take to use the ATM as is, NO!

Meesared wrote: »
    Welp that's me off to PTSB

No bank in this country will offer a free service indefinitely, unfortunately given their disregard for customers and the fact that banking customers are more of a 'captive customer' than other businesses.

I'm with AIB over 20 years and for better or worse have built up a relationship with them re: successfully paid loans, regular deposits whatever so don't really see the use of going to another equally crap bank only for them to eventually introduce charges anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They may start giving out coins for my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

BoI in Finglas Village gives out tenners although this may have changed when I tried last week it only had €20s and €50s happened the time before that but the option is still there

Worst time was when the BoI on o'connell street only had 50s and I had 40 euro in the account. First shop i went too ATM was broke ended up in a shop down near St Stephen Green so much hassle for something thats normally hassle free

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

They may start giving out coins for my bank account.

Believe it or not, there are some ATM models that can have a coin dispenser attached.

The reason banks generally dont put 10's and 5's in the machine is because they would need to refill it more often. It's a simple science.

If they filled with 5's and 10's, instead of 20's & 50's, that's alot less cash in the machine when full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

davet82 wrote: »
    No not for free but I heard on the radio today due to the country being on such a tight budget (well some of us) that you will be able to withdraw as little as €5 euro from ATMs now.

Nothing worst when you have €19.98 on a Wednesday night and you need some cash!

Although I was in Madeira last year and I withdrew €300 from an ATM over there and in came out in €5 :o

It's a reflection of how little money there is in the real economy. The only place you used to be able to take out a fiver was the banklink in Trinity to accomodate students, so this move would imply that the average worker is now living like a student.

My max daily withdrawal is 300 euro, about a hundred euro more then the average weekly wage in Madeira. It is a lovely island and the best place in the world to spend Christmas, but it's sad how buggered the economy is there at the moment. They practically loose their mind if you pull out a 50 to pay for a small item in a supermarket there, it means that giving you change means that you're going to empty their till....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

conorhal wrote: »
    It's a reflection of how little money there is in the real economy. The only place you used to be able to take out a fiver was the banklink in Trinity to accomodate students, so this move would imply that the average worker is now living like a student.

My max daily withdrawal is 300 euro, about a hundred euro more then the average weekly wage in Madeira. It is a lovely island and the best place in the world to spend Christmas, but it's sad how buggered the economy is there at the moment. They practically loose their mind if you pull out a 50 to pay for a small item in a supermarket there, it means that giving you change means that you're going to empty their till....

Sometimes this also happens when shops are afraid about fake notes - or up to no good tax-wise. See, it's the very same in Italy - and I'm talking Rome, Milan or Naples, not the little town on top of the mountain. Go to a cafe' or a tobacco shop, in the city centre, and even at 7 pm when their tills ARE full of coins and notes of various sizes, pulling out a 50 will be greeted with rolling eyes and demands for a smaller note. They go with the assumption that anybody trying to use a 50 to pay a 5€ bill is just trying to shift a fake note he/she got somewhere.

Also, they prefer to have their daily earnings in many small cut notes so that is easier to break it down: many, many shops and businesses employ people illegally - no contract, not taxes paid, no nothing - and pay them cash on a daily or weekly basis. So, if they have 4 people working, each to be paid 35 in the evening, it's easily seen how it's preferable for the store owner to have a mix of 5s, 10s and 20s in the till rather than a collection of 50s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Uriel. wrote: »
    But seriously, I was in a Bank in Brussels. around 11pm - basically a room at the side of the bank with 6 ATMs (a little like the BoI on O'Connell Street, Dublin) - glass doors - to get in you had to scan your debit card (My irish one worked).

When using the ATMs you choose the amount you want to withdraw and then choose the denominations you want. e.g. withdrawing €200 you could choose 1 €50 note, 5x €20 3 x €10 and 4 x €5. It was brilliant. can't see why we can't have something like that here.

The fookers take long enough here as it is at the ATM machines without adding another question for them to debate over as I stand in a que behind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

conorhal wrote: »

agreed a beautiful place, we stopped off there on a cruise, would love to have spent longer there. the couple we were with had only 50s, they had to swap for some of my fivers as the reaction was like you said, it would be the equivalent of trying to pay for a packet of chewing gum here with a €500 note :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

anncoates wrote: »
    No bank in this country will offer a free service indefinitely, unfortunately given their disregard for customers and the fact that banking customers are more of a 'captive customer' than other businesses.

I'm with AIB over 20 years and for better or worse have built up a relationship with them re: successfully paid loans, regular deposits whatever so don't really see the use of going to another equally crap bank only for them to eventually introduce charges anyway.

PTSB are free if you lodge some minimum per month or whatever, I don't know what it is, but I think it's lower than UB's:

4. Account maintenance fee
    A monthly account maintenance fee of €4 will be introduced from 1 July 2013.
    The monthly maintenance fee applies to the following accounts: Current Account, Standard
    Account, Dual Account, Current Plus Account and Facility Account.
    Customers aged 60 years of age and over can avail of a fee waiver where the date of birth on the
    account can be identified as being 60 or over.
    How to avoid the monthly maintenance fee
    We’ve developed two waivers that will help you avoid the fee. A waiver simply means we will not
    apply the fee to your Account as long as you manage your account in a certain way.
    Waiver 1
    Lodge a total of €3,000 into your Account between the first day and the last business day of
    each calendar month.
    or
    Waiver 2
    Keep a minimum cleared balance of €3,000 in your Account for each charging cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

When I was living in Germany PostBank ATMs gave out fivers. I tried it out for the novelty factor and later found out that because PostBank weren't an affiliated bank of Deutsche Bank (where I had my account), I was charged a fee of €4.50 on top of it for using their ATM.

Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Doesn't Bank of Ireland give out €10s?

I went up to one a few weeks ago with an AIB card, threw it in and I had the option to press "€10" on the screen. What was hilarious then was the machine had the cheek to tell me something along the lines of: "You may withdraw a minimum of €20" or something like that.

Made me laugh "Good one, ATM. Good one"

I would say most ATMs give out smaller denominations but they would go quicker as there would obviously be more 20s and 50s so it depends on how soon you use them after they're stocked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Most ATMs around colleges and universities already give out tenners. You're never too far from a Tesco or Dunnes that will give cashback of a tenner. Still it'd be handy to have more of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Good few ATMs give out tenners at the moment already

The revolution wil not be televised.

Advertisement