Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATMs to give out €5 & €10

Options
  • 22-04-2013 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

No not for free but I heard on the radio today due to the country being on such a tight budget (well some of us) that you will be able to withdraw as little as €5 euro from ATMs now.

Nothing worst when you have €19.98 on a Wednesday night and you need some cash!

Although I was in Madeira last year and I withdrew €300 from an ATM over there and in came out in €5 :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Madeira is gorgeous :)

I think there's an ATM in dundrum that gives €10. the one at PTSB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Mr.S wrote: »
    People still use cash?

card payments ftw.

Sometimes you just want to flash the fivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The story I heard this morning said tenners, not fivers.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/banks-to-trial-10-notes-in-more-atms-592055.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

they will be giving out IOU's soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

People still use cash?

card payments ftw.

Not everywhere accepts cards yet which really is ridiculous with technologies that allow even a phone to become a card machine. Over in the states everywhere uses cards even the food vendors and buskers I have seen accepting card payment, unfortunitaly we still need cash over here and sometimes only a small amount so I am glad to see this is happening for those occasions where maybe you want to shop in the pound shop or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

People still use cash?

card payments ftw.

yes as drug dealers only take cash, although I did see some guy try run a laser card down the crack of his arse... it didn't word btw :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

People go to ATMs to get fresh notes, when was the last time you saw a fresh fiver? they don't even give you fresh'un in the bank, sure they'd rip up going through the ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

davet82 wrote: »
    No not for free but I heard on the radio today due to the country being on such a tight budget (well some of us) that you will be able to withdraw as little as €5 euro from ATMs now.

Nothing worst when you have €19.98 on a Wednesday night and you need some cash!

Although I was in Madeira last year and I withdrew €300 from an ATM over there and in came out in €5 :o

You could have 19.99

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ATM robbed me this morning. Looked for cash and it politely told me to fk off. Still took the money from my account. I want to burn something down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

People still use cash?

card payments ftw.

Bastarding bank charges on every card transaction NFTW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good few ATMs give out tenners at the moment already

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

mathie wrote: »
    You could have 19.99

You could have €20 but only find ATM's dispensing €50s... grrr I hate when that happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Good few ATMs give out tenners at the moment already

I knew Ulster bank did at one time but I didn't think any of them did anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

I thought PTSB were the only ones giving out tenners ATM ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I knew Ulster bank did at one time but I didn't think any of them did anymore
    Was using an Ulster Bank one yesterday and it gave me the option to take out a €10. Think PTSB atms let you as well.

I know the AIB ATM in DCU used to let you take out tenners too, for all the broke students :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

But seriously, I was in a Bank in Brussels. around 11pm - basically a room at the side of the bank with 6 ATMs (a little like the BoI on O'Connell Street, Dublin) - glass doors - to get in you had to scan your debit card (My irish one worked).

When using the ATMs you choose the amount you want to withdraw and then choose the denominations you want. e.g. withdrawing €200 you could choose 1 €50 note, 5x €20 3 x €10 and 4 x €5. It was brilliant. can't see why we can't have something like that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

anncoates wrote: »
    Bastarding bank charges on every card transaction NFTW

don't get any charges with ulster bank

gimli2112 wrote: »
    ATM robbed me this morning. Looked for cash and it politely told me to fk off. Still took the money from my account. I want to burn something down!

Possibly got scammed by a cash catcher,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ATMs already give out 10 :confused: all the UB ones, ptsb as well I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Most Ulster Bank give out €10, when I worked in the bank BOI ATMs stocked €20s and €50s but rarely €10s and never €5s I guess the reason why they don't stock smaller dominations is because they are more prone to wear and tear - more likely to cause a jam in the hopper system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

My transaction fee with bank of Ireland is 28c so... Don't think I'll be taking any fivers out

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I remember when they used to give out £5, and it was enough for your curry chips and taxi home.

:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Loads of machines near me give out tenners already anyway - student town...

I'd prefer if they moved to UK style dispensing - smaller notes and a mix of them. £80 usually comes as 3x20 and 2x10, and you don't get 50s until you're taking out 200+

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Uriel. wrote: »
    But seriously, I was in a Bank in Brussels. around 11pm - basically a room at the side of the bank with 6 ATMs (a little like the BoI on O'Connell Street, Dublin) - glass doors - to get in you had to scan your debit card (My irish one worked).

When using the ATMs you choose the amount you want to withdraw and then choose the denominations you want. e.g. withdrawing €200 you could choose 1 €50 note, 5x €20 3 x €10 and 4 x €5. It was brilliant. can't see why we can't have something like that here.

Some irish people have problems enough using ATMs without adding that option.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

gimli2112 wrote: »

Tell the bank what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Last time I tried an ATM it said "Insufficient Funds"
    for a second I wasn't sure if it referred to me or them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Was it warm like apple pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Ub near me gives out tenders very handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

One thing that annoys me about ATMs is where it gives you the option of taking 20/40/60 etc but then when you press it it goes "Must be in denominations of 50".

Surely to **** the technology exists for an ATM to stop offering denominations of 20 when it doesn't have any of the ****ing things in the first place.

Another thing re ATMs that annoys me; people who refer to them as ATM Machines.

Yes I'll just go to the Automated Teller Machine Machine. :pac:

Advertisement