Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA football ,skillful or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh right. Jason said something similar, after a bit of Googling... film "Blitz"

“This lads, is a hurl, used in the Irish game of hurling, a cross between hockey and murder.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

To excel at it you have to be talented. There's no point commenting unless you yourself have played the game. It's rough for sure, you take that, it's a man's game, but you'll get nowhere without also having the knack for it (skill)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

uch wrote: »
    Fair enough, but you could apply it to modern Football too, spitting and Biting isn't part of football

Spitting and biting also happens in soccer and the so called gentlemans game rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

darced wrote: »

Fitness is a big part of the game alright but will only take you so far. If you don't have a bit of skill at the top level then you'll be found out pretty quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lost in cork

To excel at it you have to be talented. There's no point commenting unless you yourself have played the game. It's rough for sure, you take that, it's a man's game, but you'll get nowhere without also having the knack for it (skill)
    Ive played it but it is kick and rush ,ive played soccer too far harder skill wise

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Like every sport, it takes a lot of skill to compete at the higher levels. That's why not everybody can do it. I'm not a GAA fan at all, but even I can recognise that players like Maurice O Sullivan and Dara O Cinneide were immensely gifted at the sport, in comparison to even the other players on the field.

I always think it's sill to compare sports. One poster said that golf is the most skillful sport of all, but how do you compare it with a sport like boxing or skiing?

Even with sports with similarities like gaelic football and soccer, the differences in some of the skills needed are still huge, and make comparison impossible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

duinegorm wrote: »
    Just the ones on the hill chewing the face off themselves and burning flags.

Burning flags? If someone is evidently rubber drunk, they refuse them entry. A yoked up scummer would not gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Spitting and biting also happens in soccer and the so called gentlemans game rugby

We're not talking about soccer or rugby

21/25

• Advertisement

Ive played it but it is kick and rush ,ive played soccer too far harder skill wise

I play(ed) both and found soccer easier. I'm a defender/back and would be more relaxed player soccer because it's a slower pace and if you're smart with your positioning it helps a lot. With Gaelic it's much more frantic and you've got balls being played over your head all the time putting you under big pressure. Everyone is different though.

efb wrote: »
    yeah

Ah, well. I am not going to change your mind. You will never experience the buzz Gaa fans feel when they get to see their county play a big game in front of a capacity Croke Park. That is indeed a pity.

Not many things can beat being in Croker on a summers day - when the anthem is belted out, the neck goes a tingling. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

uch wrote: »
    We're not talking about soccer or rugby
    Isn't modern soccer 99% racism and 1% spitting?

Same could be said of soccer. Well, maybe not so much now as the game has evolved so much its made the 'hard man' in midfield role pretty redundant.

Maybe for a few of the weaker counties but there's no chance you'd make a good counties team because of your strength/fitness. You'd have to be good on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've no doubt inter-county players are highly skilled individuals, it's just that the game even at that level looks like a bit of a scruffy shove-fest (to an admittedly casual observer).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I've no doubt inter-county players are highly skilled individuals, it's just that the game even at that level looks like a bit of a scruffy shove-fest (to an admittedly casual observer).

Lacey, long ball to Murphy, bang, back of the net. Seriously, AH doesn't cater for this, try Soccer, GAA or Sports.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement