Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA football ,skillful or not?

Options
  • 21-04-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Is football a skillful game ,or as it seems to me just the ability to kick the ball long and have the ability to catch it instead of your opponent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Surely by this logic, golf isn't skillful either because you're just hitting a ball really hard with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ew.

Sports? In AH?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Is football a skillful game ,or as it seems to me just the ability to kick the ball long and have the ability to catch it instead of your opponent?

And are these not skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Its very skillful at the high levels of the game, very skillful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Surely by this logic, golf isn't skillful either because you're just hitting a ball really hard with a stick.

You're only being silly now.
    What you described is called Hurling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Something for the savages to do on a sunday after their ritual chanting I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

its very skillfull,more skillfull than soccer,i watched a player run past 10 players 7 times in 20 minutes,if the players were full time pros
    it would be better,most work then practice after work,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It takes skill at the top level like most sports.

Still sh!te though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lost in cork

But a small ball with a small clubface into a small hole ,not a big round ball easy to kick between two wide posts

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Then bowling is the ability to throw a ball.

But how come everyone isn't amazing at bowling? Surely everyone can throw a ball.

Every sport requires a certain set of skills, you'll understand when you play it.

I don't play gaelic btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

its very skillfull,more skillfull than soccer

Bit of a sweeping statement to make. Both sports have unique skills, neither is more skillful than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

But a small ball with a small clubface into a small hole ,not a big round ball easy to kick between two wide posts

Yes but in golf you don't have 15 lads trying to take your head off while you do it. Sounds kind of interesting though. I hope they invent Gaelic golf soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

As Alan Shearer said, 'A mixture of Hockey and Second Degree Murder'

21/25

You've not got someone trying to tackle you in golf. Though that might be an idea...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

efb wrote: »
    Something for the savages to do on a sunday after their ritual chanting I suppose

Most popular sports team in the country is the Dublin football team. Are all the fans savages?

Most popular sports team in the country is the Dublin football team. Are all the fans savages?

yeah

yeah

Ah now, not all are. Just a massive percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

uch wrote: »
    He said that about hurling and we aren't talking about hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Just because something might look easy, doesnt mean it is" - wise words. :)

Top levels of sport are highly competitive as there is generally big money involved. So alotta skill is required.

I think if the topic was shifted over to entertainment ... thats when "skills" take a back seat. Many a singer nowadays can't sing for shit live. Even within acting you've got "movies" and then "films" (to quote eddie murphy in Blowfinger :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

Just the ones on the hill chewing the face off themselves and burning flags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Try to solo to ball up the pitch with a bit of speed, far from an easy thing to do, never mind evading your marker and kicking the ball from distance over the bar. The further you are out the smaller the posts are.

Plenty of skill to Gaelic football.

99.9?

He said that about hurling and we aren't talking about hurling

Fair enough, but you could apply it to modern Football too, spitting and Biting isn't part of football

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

99.9?

Your loss. Brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

After reading this a 2nd time....Depends I suppose?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

uch wrote: »
    Jason Statham surely?

byte wrote: »
    Jason Statham surely?

I Kid you Not !

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas