Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Poor Coverage

Options
  • 20-04-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I am extremely disappointed at the BBCs poor coverage of the worlds. They only showed an hour of this evenings session and everyone is expected to watch the rest online. This isnt the qualifiers for christ sake. No wonder the snookers viewing figures have dropped with this sort of coverage. AND the red button option is gone. Sort it out BBC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Yeah its a joke. Don't know why they can't show it on the red button like every other year. Even Eurosport weren't showing any evening sessions till 9.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes really miss the red button now. Red button service was seriously cut back in October for everything so it's not just snooker.

Still, overall the BBC do a superb job, and God only knows where snooker would be without the BBC's commitment. I'm sure the coverage will be wall to wall once we get down to the one table situation, but for hardcore followers the option to watch everything on the red button was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Disappointing the cutbacks on the snooker coverage by BBC but they have been doing cutbacks on a lot of sport,darts coverage was very poor by them in last January's Lakeside World Championship. Hopefully as the tournament moves on the coverage will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Treble20 wrote: »
    Disappointing the cutbacks on the snooker coverage by BBC but they have been doing cutbacks on a lot of sport,darts coverage was very poor by them in last January's Lakeside World Championship. Hopefully as the tournament moves on the coverage will improve.

yep I agree there. I hardly saw any of the darts this year because of that but in fairness ESPN showed what BBC didnt and now snookers showpiece event is not even being broadcast properly. For example, the match between Murphy and Gould this evening is not being broadcast anywhere on live TV which is an absolute disgrace. Surely the BBC could have pushed the boat out and introduced the red button option for this event at least instead of a red button option which I noticed today for the London Marathon which doubt generates half the amount of interest snooker does and moto gp. You would think snooker would get a preference considering the amount of coverage theyve given to snooker down the years. Why couldnt they just cut the coverage of the London Marathon earlier to show this mornings session.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Yeah guys, completely agree it's not even nearly what we have been used to as far as red button stuff is concerned. I've e-mailed snooker@bbc.co.uk about it and I suggest others do too.

However.... :)

It seems to all change from 7.30 tonight, please see here.

From tonights 7pm session (albeit 30 mins later) there seems to be all-day devotion to snooker for the one surviving red-button stream for most of the rest of the tournament.

This weekend was a bit of a heavy one for the BBC with the Marathon, F1, Athletics, MotoGP and Rugby League.

One thing I will say for them though, at least BBC 2 has been covering the 10am sessions (When's the last time they did that..?).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

This weekend was an exception with all the other BBC sports on at the same time, except prehaps a rerun of some mothers do av them last night !

Hearn did make a complaint to the Beeb but as mentioned normal service will be resumed by Monday.

Yes great to see the 10am coverage too, I remember it used to start at 10am and go right through until 6pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes it was back on the red button this evening with the Murphy Gould match.

I'd say it was the late 80s early 90s since they showed the 10am session start on BBC2.

The red button is brilliant, maybe the BBC don't realise how many people follow and appreciate the comprehensive red button coverage, and then the main schedules aren't clogged up, and life goes on with schools programmes, business, politics etc.

Monday 22 April10:00-12:00, BBC Two & HD/online

10:00-23:00, BBC Red Button

You can't ask for better coverage than that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

10:00-23:00, BBC Red Button

You can't ask for better coverage than that

Yes you can, you can have both tables on separate streams as they have had for quite a few years now.

OK, to be fair, for almost a year now they have had their interactive satellite streams cut from 6 or 7 streams to just 1, but at the time they announced the cuts they did say they could organise leasing transponder space for some sporting events that could utilise them.

I'd say it's a good bet that Wimbledon and The Open golf will get them.

Lest face it they had 24 (High Def) streams for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

not in UK/Ire atm but are you saying that they have only 1 of the 2 tables each session via red button?thats ****, usually every year there was the choice of two

Barry Hearn has issued this statement regarding tv coverage......

BBC confirm full red button coverage for the remainder of world champs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

zack01 wrote: »
    Barry Hearn has issued this statement regarding tv coverage......

BBC confirm full red button coverage for the remainder of world champs

But not two streams I used to love coming in after work and switch between both tables poor show by the bbc then again we don't pay the uk tv license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I went to watch the BBC red button coverage last night when I came in from a meeting and they were showing both games on split screen. It was a joke to be honest! Just switched it over to Eurosport then but would rather watch the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's ridiculous not having both tables.

Hearn should sell the rights to Sky in the BBC aren't in a position to give it the coverage it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mdwexford wrote: »
    It's ridiculous not having both tables.

Hearn should sell the rights to Sky in the BBC aren't in a position to give it the coverage it deserves.

Slow down there. You might regret that.
    It is poor that the red button is down to a single feed total for all sports. The button of the previous years was fantastic.

I was trying to watch some of the matches on Eurosport but they must use the crappiest headsets and mics as you can pick up the noise of the commentators fidgeting with them the worst is Joe Johnston, you don't get that with the BBC lads!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If Sky got all snooker rights the sport would be damaged. Look at F1. They got their own channel. UK viewings went from an average of 5m to race and now it struggles to hit 1m viewers a race, really hampering the sport. UK sponsors have pulled from some of the F1 events and cars and now sponsorship comes in from other areas.

If Sky ever took all broadcasting rights I'd be horrified.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just reading this thread now, I understand we're down to one stream, but what's the reason for that? Is it the cost of streams on the satellite? Thought my sat box was playing up when I started watching.

Real shame as the coverage over the past few years was fantastic - every minute of every match available live on red button, even with the two tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Was just watching the 10am coverage there and as the programme finished, it said continuing on the red button. How do I actually get this? I have a box that gets Irish and British channels, but no Sky or UPC or any satellite service.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

robman60 wrote: »
    Was just watching the 10am coverage there and as the programme finished, it said continuing on the red button. How do I actually get this? I have a box that gets Irish and British channels, but no Sky or UPC or any satellite service.

A sky box with no viewing card will pick up the British EPG for free and has red button functionality. I'm using an ancient box, one of the first Grundigs released here, and it works perfectly.

So if you have any friends who might have one hanging about a garage or something you should try to acquire it.

robman60 wrote: »

need to manually tune it in (I take it u are using a satellite box) you might have it already it tuned in it's listed as 6390 if not use manual tuning and type in Frequency 10773 polarity H, SR is 22000 and 5/6, it will find the channel for you possibly put it at the end of your channel list.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Jesus lads.

If ye are based in the Republic then ye have some balls to be moaning about a British channel ye have no right to be receiving.

I'm not Mr official by any standards but a facts a fact.

They are still streets ahead of the Eurosport coverage which is shocking quality re commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

We have every right to complain about a channel we pay a legal subscription for.

Take your high horse elsewhere.

We have every right to complain about a channel we pay a legal subscription for.

Take your high horse elsewhere.

Calm down. I don't have a high horse.

How exactly do you pay the BBC for their coverage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

We pay Sky/UPC subscriptions who in turn pay carriage fees to the BBC for broadcasting to Ireland. The same applies in a number of European countries such as Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland.

Now, why can't we complain?

We pay Sky/UPC subscriptions who in turn pay carriage fees to the BBC for broadcasting to Ireland. The same applies in a number of European countries such as Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland.

Good stuff. I love learning new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eurosports commentary , foulds does it this tournament, mike hallett and David Hendon,Hendon in particular is Very knowledgable and insightful . I can argue mike smith and Joe j aren't great but the former pair are very good together ,

seanhynes wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with eurosports commentary , foulds does it this tournament, mike hallett and David Hendon,Hendon in particular is Very knowledgable and insightful . I can argue mike smith and Joe j aren't great but the former pair are very good together ,

I found it tortuous to listen to.

It's great if you want to know how long it's taking any given player to take a shot. They're really hot on telling you that for some reason but the bulk of the commentary is very very poor and lacking insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

just to say i prefer eurosport coverage, hate that dash back to Hazel Irvine at the end of every frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Eurosport commentary is fine imo.

Out of interest does anyone know if their people are at The Crucible, or is it studio based commentary?

• Advertisement

Eurosport commentary is fine imo.

Out of interest does anyone know if their people are at The Crucible, or is it studio based commentary?

They are commentating from the Eurosport studio in London. That's where they are based for every event bar the Masters , they had a commentary booth at the Ally Pally then.

Advertisement