Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen car in Dublin video up on facebook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fruitman wrote: »
    Just read a story about a guy's car getting stolen www.facebook.com/StolenAndRecoverdIreland.
    Then a video appears up on facebook of some lads wrecking it. Do the guards look at this kind of thing? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=504082749651967

I'm sure they would if you let them know? Not sure they've established a Facebook squad yet...

Should you not have told them instead of us?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Saw that last week, owner got it back, cars ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fruitman

Well its from 3 weeks ago so I'm wondering how they can get away with flashing a car around during the day and have a video of it up on the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Well I bet Noel Moran knows who it was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do the guards look at this kind of thing? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=504082749651967
    Personal theft in general seems to be low priority in this country(look at the crazy amount of bikes stolen). From the judiciary, down to the Garda and yep many of your average people out there who come out with "ah sure if they want it they'll take it"(I bloody hate that one) and "sure aren't you insured".

Of that lot I would blame the Guards the least. Like any walk of life you get crosseyed morons better suited to looking blankly over a five bar gate, but most are really trying the best, in an often crappy job, but they just don't have the resources. There also seems to be a lack of will from the top too. There have been places in Dublin anyway known to the dogs on the street where "joyriding" scum would hide cars up, but little was done about it and even if the cops caught the scum, the judges would hand out slaps on the wrist. Has to be pretty bloody disheartening to lads and lasses on the beat.

Last time I had a car stolen was 10 odd years ago. The Guards? Some I dealt with were as much use as a chocolate kettle, but other Guards were bloody helpful, going above and beyond and because of them I got the car back with very little damage(the scum had parked it up in one of their "holding" areas to drive it another night).

Doing my research afterwards I could see how stupidly easy it was to nick it(pre key immobilised car). It was alarmed but it was shíte. Rather the installation was. Put in the usual place, tied into the usual wires to "immobilise" the car in the usual way. A child could bypass it. BTW since then I've seen "pro" installs of top end kit like Clifford equally stupidly placed and nearly as easily bypassed. If you own such a pre key immobilised car(and many of those stolen on Facebook are such), the fact is there are tricks to really slow down your average dribbling oven chips fed scum. Even in the extreme cases where said scum invade your home. With your modern cars with better security I'd say it may be harder to implement many of those tricks, plus the scum will try and nick the keys from your house. In my case they're welcome to try, my large, very territorially minded nay dangerously aggressive dog sleeps in the same room as them. Cool, it'll cut down on my dogfood bills for a few days... Result.

TL;DR? Try and slow the cúnts down and make their miserable scummy oxygen wasting lives hard(er) as much as you can. That way most often they'll look for easier targets. If we all did that, car theft would drop. The fact is most of us don't really look at our personal and personal property security until after the worthless scum have done their worst. I know I didn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

"If you own such a pre key immobilised car(and many of those stolen on Facebook are such), the fact is there are tricks to really slow down your average dribbling oven chips fed scum"

Ye I used to have an STI and was always afraid someone would try rob it. I used to take out a relay switch under the bonnet every night so even if you had the key it wouldn't start.

The funny thing is, one night I was staying over in my girlfriends and some pricks broke into my gaf and robed my mams car. (or not so funny for my ma). Got the car back undamaged with the key still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Poor neighbours having to live with these guys in the estate (I don't think it's likely they drove across Dublin and wrecked a car in an unknown estate).

Ye from the video it doesn't look like any of the neighbours even came out to see what was going on. The lads probably have the estate terrorised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Absolute scum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I know it probably shouldnt have but watching that actually made me a bit sad. Poor engine put up with a lot. We humans ruin everything eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I was sad for the car, i even was sadder though for the poor people in the estate having to put up with that **** on a daily basis.

This is where a few flakes with a hurley as a young fella is sorely missed (if they even know whoi their auld fellas are)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I was sad for the car, i even was sadder though for the poor people in the estate having to put up with that **** on a daily basis.

This is where a few flakes with a hurley as a young fella is sorely missed (if they even know whoi their auld fellas are)
    Round here, first they would get a bad hiding. If that didn't "educate" them, they'd get worse.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

proper alarm with spare battery, properly hidden would really help. one my car had alarm installed (not in Ireland though) with spare battery, if even alarm is unarmed , and you disconnect battery, it starts screaming, , have to have special key, to stop it. .. i dont know where they hide alarm module, as i never saw it, even was doing number different works on car. ... even was changing heater matrix, didnt see it, so proper alarm system and properly installed will really pay off. sold that car without any clues where it was hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It doesn't even have to be proper top-class alarm system.
    The most important thing in car security is to make something unusual or in unusual way.
    Then even the most professional thief, will have serious problems to bypass it.

BTW - are car thefts really that common in Ireland?
    I thought they happen really seldom here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This has been happening for years in southhill in limerick, just do a google search for southhill joyriders and see the ungodly amount of videos that go up, they steal the car, wreak it and then burn it out when they get bored or the car can't put up with anymore abuse. Doesn't seem to be very high on the gards list of priorities as they could easily catch them if they wanted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

CiniO wrote: »

More common to be stolen and shipped off east than to be stolen and burned out anyway.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    More common to be stolen and shipped off east than to be stolen and burned out anyway.

I hardly can imagine how stolen car can be shipped out of Ireland.
    Do they drive them? Or load into trucks?

PS - I just realised I don't know a single person who would even have their car stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

CiniO wrote: »

According to that Facebook page, there were 9000 cars stolen in Ireland last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ye from the video it doesn't look like any of the neighbours even came out to see what was going on. The lads probably have the estate terrorised.

No excuse. They could lift the phone and ring 999 without coming outdoors.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Eireann81 wrote: »
    According to that Facebook page, there were 9000 cars stolen in Ireland last year.

:eek::eek::eek:
    That's mad amount.

Assuming there is about 2,5 million vehicles in Ireland, it makes one vehicle stolen out of every 278. I'm seriously starting to get worried about my cars now.

For comparision, in Poland, where vehicle theft always seemed to be at high level, last year there was around 15,000 vehicles stolen, out of 20 million vehicles, so it's about one stolen per 1333.

Looks like I'm 5 times more likely to have my vehicle stolen in Ireland than in Poland.

I'm genuinely shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a real problem here CiniO. Seems to come in waves. At the moment it's quite high, but it's been worse in the past, when cars were easier to steal without taking the keys. You'll note most of the cars on the facebook page are the older non key immobolised type. Many of them Japanese makes who until recently were pretty crap on the security front(car crime has been traditionally very low in Japan). Older Honda's were a complete joke. I could get into a 90's Civic in minutes without causing damage. On a couple of models you can access the engine bay(and alarm siren) from the outside of the car. Another Japanese car I recall you can open the hatchback from the outside. These types of cars need a good alarm system properly installed like a fish needs water.

Too often car mad guys and gals will spend a fortune on alloy wheels and the like and the car alarm and security is an afterthought. Plus many of the "security" devices aren't worth a damn. Those bars that lock to the steering wheel a good example. Near useless and indeed can even help the scum steal your car when used as a lever to break the built in steering lock. Try looking at your car and seeing how you would steal it. EG if you can get to your alarm brain in a few minutes by carefully removing a panel with a screwdriver, scum will not so carefully get to it in seconds.

The thing is you can make a car so bloody hard to steal that it's just not worth the effort for the scum. Even if they get your keys BTW.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Gas thing is, from a quick back track, the video (of the poor car being killed in whitestown) is linked to a guy who lives in the far right hand corner. Wouldn't attempt to say if he was involved or not, but judging by the comments his mate put on it, I would guess he would have known something about it.

TBH, it make me ashamed to say I am from Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

galwaytt wrote: »

Im sure people do.. but the abastance of any garda would indicate they aren't interested.

Other countries the police would use spikes snd even ram the stolen car off the road. Here I believe the garda rather wait intil it crashes or runs out of fuel.

Im sure people do.. but the abastance of any garda would indicate they aren't interested.

Other countries the police would use spikes snd even ram the stolen car off the road. Here I believe the garda rather wait until it crashes or runs out of fuel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

In fairness to the guards,the tallaght branch is stretched to the absolute limit at the moment i could understand why they weren't quick enough to act and/or act at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm a strong believer in Karma, these guys will eventually get what is due to them.

Down here a few years ago a well known joyrider who wasn't too bright one night stole the local drug kingpin's car. He got some hiding and was told to get out of the country for his own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I used to go out with a girl from where that video was taken, unless someone is after getting shot then ringing 999 isn't a whole lot of help. Most of the people living in areas like that are too scared to call the cops anyway because if the scum find out who it was, their lives are made hell.

You've more chance of getting done for speeding than for joyriding in that area.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    In fairness to the guards,the tallaght branch is stretched to the absolute limit at the moment i could understand why they weren't quick enough to act and/or act at all.

Its never been in the past and still isnt a priority with the garda today.
    There is a better chance of road checks for tax compliance or zooming up on boy racers and pulling them over on side of road for minor motor offence than responding to dangerous driving within housing estates.

Its been like this for last 20 years in fact it was a lot worse years ago. Its only due to improvements in car security that has reduced the numbers of stolen cars today compaired to just a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

on forums like DTDirl you hear about a least one car a week being stolen. We should get a tread going here for stolen cars, maybe we could help each other as we are a big community all over Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

to unlock car and switch on ignition is possible within seconds with widely available tools , ... like here - in online shop

all rest is skip immobilizer, if you know what to do. if car has no any alarm, with tools like i mentioned above, will drive away within seconds.

Seen such tools hand made down in my native country

In same online site, you could find alarm code reader, which may unset cars alarm, and if alarm is unset, there is no immobilizer(aftermarket one) working, and with again with those tools car is gone within seconds, unless there is factory build in immobilizer, but skip them is also easy. id say hidden kill switch (not a battery, but number electronic devices in car) is one of most best ways, how to save car.

Also properly installed horn, which makes noise , has to be installed properly, that cannot be seen, or reachable, and no wiring go to it be seen also.

Advertisement