Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gathering - did you take part in any?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    "There are clan gatherings, festivals, special sporting events, music and concerts taking place all across the country, all year long."

duncan macleod from the clan macleod??????

I haven't seen any of this? so people have been given funds to do stuff like the above. Where they spending it? No gatherings out this way, haven't even heard anything about it since new years.

Load of shíté if you ask me?

Over 4000 of them on the website as of now.

Rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Sergeant wrote: »
    Over 4000 of them on the website as of now.

Rabble.

Yeah just had a look, but its all crap, people just advertising their own little events for their own gain. Not really "GATHERING" Worthy TBH

Can't see many tourists heading over to Ireland for the local under 13's football match.

Load of shíté like i said :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just seen the using the funds to pay for a wedding reception. Fúck me, Where do i sign up. Daddy needs a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Isn't the Gathering just a fictional thing??? After all, tourists come here anyway (only god knows why) so I thought the government were just trying to cash in on those who were probably going to come anyway by pretending there was something actually happening to come for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've noticed an increase in American's coming to Donegal and they all say its because of "The Gathering", which isn't being advertised here (for obvious reasons) but is getting a huge push in America. So its only natural the Irish people wont be aware of how big it actually is.
    Its very easy to be cynical, but I'm impressed so far and it actually seems to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I live in north America and the first thing I heard about the gathering was an ad at Dublin airport while I was home in February

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They come here because it's an amazingly beautiful country with wonderful scenery, attractions, golf courses and fishing (amongst others).

Know that. I live here. Have seen a fair amount of it so I have.

It's just giving out for the sake of it.

If anything is being done ''for the sake of it'' its people taking the piss in terms of prices. €30 for a taxi from the airport to town, tenner for a pint and sammich, €129 for a hotel room.

This isn't Las Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

I am supposed to be doing something in October . I know my name was taken in vain in app,ting for funding but haven't heard anything since. I can't say that I am disappointed. I don't want to be in Ireland at the moment let alone lure unsuspecting tourists or Irish abroad who gave no idea that they are about to be mugged by every touristy thing once they get here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

it's all a big sham benefitting those with friends in high places.
    half the money is going to funding people's private parties, out of our pockets.
    whoever came up with the idea needs a Bishop Brennan style kick up the arse.

edit: looking on the site, one person even has the nerve to use it to fund their wedding reception.

this is Ireland, so what do you expect but a scam lining the pockets of the dept of tourism employees and their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'd prefer a Project X style party .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Wow, some people are getting a wedding reception out of it! :eek: Innovative, I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

Senna wrote: »
    I've noticed an increase in American's coming to Donegal and they all say its because of "The Gathering", which isn't being advertised here (for obvious reasons) but is getting a huge push in America. So its only natural the Irish people wont be aware of how big it actually is.
    Its very easy to be cynical, but I'm impressed so far and it actually seems to be working.

That's strange, I haven't noticed any.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm going to the annual Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon this Summer, I've heard these guys are organising something to coincide with it, as long as they don't interfere with me I won't have a problem. However I think the whole idea is pathetic, a shakedown of the Diaspora as Gabriel Byrne said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

true wrote: »
    you do not work for bord failte or one of the other government funded quangos by any chance?
    You do realise there is no such thing as Bord Failte? If you are gonna whinge you may as well direct it at the right entity.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    "There are clan gatherings, festivals, special sporting events, music and concerts taking place all across the country, all year long."

duncan macleod from the clan macleod??????

I haven't seen any of this? so people have been given funds to do stuff like the above. Where they spending it? No gatherings out this way, haven't even heard anything about it since new years.

Load of shíté if you ask me?
    You must have missed these so..................http://www.thegatheringireland.com/View-Gatherings/Explore-Gatherings-on-Map.aspx ;)

You do realise there is no such thing as Bord Failte? If you are gonna whinge you may as well direct it at the right entity.

there are so many quangos now god knows what they all do, ...I do not even think they know themselves. Saw a project recently and it was funded by 8 different government bodies.
    tourism ireland, failte ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

I tried to get by brother to come home from Canada(not necessarily for the gathering , I did bring it up though) for a week, he laughed and told me to fcuk off.

. However I think the whole idea is pathetic, a shakedown of the Diaspora as Gabriel Byrne said.

+1. Its embarassing.

great for the people getting the government money and junkets though.

+1. Its embarassing.

great for the people getting the government money and junkets though.
    What people, do you have a link or are you just spouting populist nonsense the way AH likes it?

What people, do you have a link or are you just spouting populist nonsense the way AH likes it?

do you think "the gathering" is costing nothing to organise / promote / encourage / co-ordinate? Maybe you are one of those getting a few euro or trying to shakedown a poor foreigner for a few euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

RTE had their gathering in ROME a few weeks ago......

over 10 presenters to "observe" the election of Pope Francis....

I jest you not........what "recession" ......

do you think "the gathering" is costing nothing to organise / promote / encourage / co-ordinate? Maybe you are one of those getting a few euro or trying to shakedown a poor foreigner for a few euro?
    Radio, tv and online campaigns do cost money, obviously, but if you can show me the links you have to these people going on junkets and somehow pocketing state money then please do it now? I can assure you im no beneficiary in this regard as i currently get ready to head in to my retail job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Park Royal wrote: »
    RTE had their gathering in ROME a few weeks ago......

over 10 presenters to "observe" the election of Pope Francis....

I jest you not........what "recession" ......
    So what I can take from this is that:
    1. A government-led push to increase tourism in Ireland (regardless of its validity) is comparable to RTE sending a team to report in Rome.
    2. News agencies should stop reporting on major world events (and a peak of almost a million viewers tuned in for RTE's coverage of the coronation) in poor economic conditions.
    3. There is no hope for AH

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Reekwind wrote: »
    So what I can take from this is that:
    1. A government-led push to increase tourism in Ireland (regardless of its validity) is comparable to RTE sending a team to report in Rome.
    2. News agencies should stop reporting on major world events (and a peak of almost a million viewers tuned in for RTE's coverage of the coronation) in poor economic conditions.
    3. There is no hope for AH

1.What's the coronation?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They come here because it's an amazingly beautiful country with wonderful scenery,

I always hear this, but is Ireland really that amazingly beautiful? The Irish landscape is blighted with bungalows and McMansions. Places like Iceland and Norway are truly beautiful with vast unspoiled areas of nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

kneemos wrote: »
    1.What's the coronation?
    The bit where they put the papal tiara on the Pope's head. I didn't think that wasn't obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

I'd forgotten all about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Reekwind wrote: »
    The bit where they put the papal tiara on the Pope's head. I didn't think that wasn't obvious

You do know a pope hasn't been crowned since Paul VI in 1963 right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I always hear this, but is Ireland really that amazingly beautiful? The Irish landscape is blighted with bungalows and McMansions. Places like Iceland and Norway are truly beautiful with vast unspoiled areas of nature.

Was driving through the Burren yesterday it's gorgeous. We have plenty of areas that would measure up to the places you mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You do know a pope hasn't been crowned since Paul VI in 1963 right?

i didnt think that wasnt obvious either

Advertisement