Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

u-21 Football Semi Finals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

It was in relation to a post to support a point if you read all the post.

You state with certainty that Cork would have beaten Kildare. Who knows what would have happened. We're not there because we weren't good enough on the day but having pops at a county like saying "as most Kildare teams do they beat themselves" is a bit out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

You state with certainty that Cork would have beaten Kildare. Who knows what would have happened. We're not there because we weren't good enough on the day but having pops at a county like saying "as most Kildare teams do they beat themselves" is a bit out of order.
    I have no problem with Kildare and would love to see them be successful but ye threw away yesterday.
    I'was just supporting a claim.Im not having a pop at
    Kildare had the winning of the game yesterday and would have deserved it like they would have deserved to beat us in 2011 in the Junior final.
    Many people are saying Galway have already won the final outright just cause they beat Kildare.
    My point is thats incorrect and Cork deserve respect too in fairness.And with all due respect the way Kildare played yesterday Cork would have won.
    Kildare did not help themselves with all the wides,Galway were there to be beaten and are not unbeatable as what people are saying.
    All im trying to show is that Galway beating Kildare does not mean they have Cork already beaten.It will be a close final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Connaught is the not the strongest province this year.Ulster is
    Connacht not Connaught. And how is Ulster the strongest province this year? i don't think it's been the strongest for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I have no problem with Kildare and would love to see them be successful but ye threw away yesterday.
    I'was just supporting a claim.Im not having a pop at
    Kildare had the winning of the game yesterday and would have deserved it like they would have deserved to beat us in 2011 in the Junior final.
    Many people are saying Galway have already won the final outright just cause they beat Kildare.
    My point is thats incorrect and Cork deserve respect too in fairness.And with all due respect the way Kildare played yesterday Cork would have won.
    Kildare did not help themselves with all the wides,Galway were there to be beaten and are not unbeatable as what people are saying.
    All im trying to show is that Galway beating Kildare does not mean they have Cork already beaten.It will be a close final.

Of course Cork deserve respect and I for one think they will win the final with a degree of comfort.

However, some of your comments about Kildare were a bit unnecessary. You stated that Kildare have no 'natural' forwards. Niall Kelly looked fairly 'natural' when he was giving Cork senior backs the run around down in Pairc Ui Rinn a few months ago. You also stated with certainty that Kildare would not have beaten Dublin. Maybe we wouldn't have if Dublin had reached the Leinster Final but this group of players did beat their Dublin counterparts not once but twice in the 2010 Minor Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

rossie1977 wrote: »
    roscommon had numerous players that played in last years under 21 final with dublin so they shouldn't lack ability or self belief and the younger guys who came in have multiple connacht minor medals and had beaten alot of the younger galway lads over the past two years, 18 of the same players that started 2 weeks ago (9 from both) started this e.g http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?itemID=18918

i never saw a game like it and i have been going to gaa matches for nearly 30 years, when i see games like that its hard to not think the cup is destined for the winning team, i don't know whether cork would have beaten roscommon or kildare as i haven't seen enough of cork, they struggled with cavan and roscommon were much stronger than cavan last year and on paper cavan looked better last year, i know this was an exceptionally strong roscommon side this year though

You say Roscommon were much stronger than Cavan last year - on what basis? Cavan had beaten that Roscommon team in the Hastings Cup final and, but for a fumble by Gilsenan to allow a second Roscommon goal, the Rossies were only a point ahead going into the last few minutes.

Cavan didn't at all do themselves justice in that semi and one aspect we weren't happy with was the Meath man refereeing it. Jack Brady should of had a penalty early (the local paper printed stills of him being pulled down) and Cavan would have been five ahead.

We also lost two players to injury in the course of the game. Jason McLoughlin being a player who later that year played for the seniors.

You say Cavan looked better on paper last year than this year also. How exactly? My example that they were stronger this year would be that Joe Dillon was in the starting 15 last year but a sub this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Thinkstoomuch you are missing the point of a teams name is on the trophy. It's the manner of Galway's wins thus far that makes it hard to see past them and that's not to disrespect Cork it's just the way sport goes sometimes.

Lemlin wrote: »
    You say Roscommon were much stronger than Cavan last year - on what basis? Cavan had beaten that Roscommon team in the Hastings Cup final and, but for a fumble by Gilsenan to allow a second Roscommon goal, the Rossies were only a point ahead going into the last few minutes.

Cavan didn't at all do themselves justice in that semi and one aspect we weren't happy with was the Meath man refereeing it. Jack Brady should of had a penalty early (the local paper printed stills of him being pulled down) and Cavan would have been five ahead.

We also lost two players to injury in the course of the game. Jason McLoughlin being a player who later that year played for the seniors.

You say Cavan looked better on paper last year than this year also. How exactly? My example that they were stronger this year would be that Joe Dillon was in the starting 15 last year but a sub this year.

Cavan won the hastings cup final against Longford after extra time last year and i wouldn't read much into pre-championship games anyways.

From what i seen Roscommon were the better side in that semi final last year and the final score line was about right the 2nd Cavan goal gave the scoreline false look. As for the injury excuse every team gets them the best squads normally wins the big games nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This idea that Galway's name is on the trophy is pure nonsense. The final will be a whole new game again and anything can happen. Galway have ridden their luck so far and I can't imagine Cork will kick 20 wides the next day. Probably won't be a lot in it as both teams have some handy forwards but it's always hard to call the result in games at this level as you haven't a lot to go on in terms of form lines.

Cavan won the hastings cup final against Longford after extra time last year and i wouldn't read much into pre-championship games anyways.

From what i seen Roscommon were the better side in that semi final last year and the final score line was about right the 2nd Cavan goal gave the scoreline false look. As for the injury excuse every team gets them the best squads normally wins the big games nowadays.

They beat Roscommon in an earlier round. I just checked it. Thought it was the final but was incorrect. I didn't get the teams but according to the Celt it was an "under strength" Cavan team.

I think my points have proven though that Roscommon were not by any way far stronger than Cavan last year.

Like I said, I never like to see a Meath man refereeing a Cavan game and if Reynolds had given that penalty Cavan would have been 5 points ahead in a very low scoring game.

I believe in terms of frees he also gave Roscommon 30 or 40 more. There was plenty of controversy about it after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

hastings cup you can't be serious, even in that game cavan only won by scoring a last second goal in a match roscommon dominated

in the championship match cavan scored their second goal in the 60th minute and it was great play by the two roscommon forwards for that goal, clabby to put pressure on the goalie and compton to chip it in from where he was standing over the two cavan backs in front of him, cavan managed just 4 scores in 63 minutes against us last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Under age games are very unpredictable. The Cork - Galway game is wide open.

Should be an entertaining game. The under 21 championship (football & hurling) often produce the most enjoyable games to watch. Imagine, a few years ago, there was a move to abolish the under 21 championship.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    This idea that Galway's name is on the trophy is pure nonsense. The final will be a whole new game again and anything can happen. Galway have ridden their luck so far and I can't imagine Cork will kick 20 wides the next day. Probably won't be a lot in it as both teams have some handy forwards but it's always hard to call the result in games at this level as you haven't a lot to go on in terms of form lines.
    Totally agree,the game has yet to be played and anyone can win it.

Thinkstoomuch you are missing the point of a teams name is on the trophy. It's the manner of Galway's wins thus far that makes it hard to see past them and that's not to disrespect Cork it's just the way sport goes sometimes.
    Your only seeing one side of it though.
    Kerry hit the post against Cork twice,and we had a point not given and still won the match against Cavan.Our name based on that theory is on the Cup.
    The Fact is no one's name is already on the Cup, it will be won and lost on May the 4th in the Gaelic Grounds from 7pm by one team .

Of course Cork deserve respect and I for one think they will win the final with a degree of comfort.

However, some of your comments about Kildare were a bit unnecessary. You stated that Kildare have no 'natural' forwards. Niall Kelly looked fairly 'natural' when he was giving Cork senior backs the run around down in Pairc Ui Rinn a few months ago. You also stated with certainty that Kildare would not have beaten Dublin. Maybe we wouldn't have if Dublin had reached the Leinster Final but this group of players did beat their Dublin counterparts not once but twice in the 2010 Minor Championship.
    I don't think Cork or Galway will beat each other by any degree of comfort.
    It will be as games between these two tend to be,a close game.
    The point I was making was that if Cork had played Kildare and Kildare played the same as they played against Galway we would have won.
    Niall Kelly is talented footballer and spot on he beat Cork hands down in a League game,however he did not do much Saturday.

Every player has an off day and i agree he is a talent.
    On Saturday's display I did not see too many other scoring forwards compared to Galway and Cork.
    My point is Kildare should have beaten Galway,and Galway's win should be kept in context and not be blown up to what it is.It will be a close final in two weeks.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    hastings cup you can't be serious, even in that game cavan only won by scoring a last second goal in a match roscommon dominated

in the championship match cavan scored their second goal in the 60th minute and it was great play by the two roscommon forwards for that goal, clabby to put pressure on the goalie and compton to chip it in from where he was standing over the two cavan backs in front of him, cavan managed just 4 scores in 63 minutes against us last year

Yes, I am serious about the Hastings Cup. An under strength Cavan team beat Roscommon by a point. Your lads were five points up and Cavan came back and beat a team you reckon are much
    stronger? Doesn't sound right to me.

Surely any team significantly weaker than another and five points down should know when they're beat.

In relation to the semi, I see you ignored my point re Jack Brady and a blatant penalty not being given when Cavan were 2 points ahead.

And it was pretty hard for Cavan to score with the Meath man in black busy giving frees against us yet missing blatant penalties.

Would you be happy with a Longford man refereeing Roscommon in an All Ireland semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

In relation to the semi, I see you ignored my point re Jack Brady and a blatant penalty not being given when Cavan were 2 points ahead.

And it was pretty hard for Cavan to score with the Meath man in black busy giving frees against us yet missing blatant penalties.

Would you be happy with a Longford man refereeing Roscommon in an All Ireland semi?

I assume you are talking about a game other than the Cork/Cavan match here.

Orizio wrote: »
    I assume you are talking about a game other than the Cork/Cavan match here.

Yep, I'm talking about Cavan Roscommon game last year. It was the semi final too.

Yep, I'm talking about Cavan Roscommon game last year. It was the semi final too.

If you still haven't got over that semi final defeat and let's be honest you never looked like winning it, how long will it take you to get over Saturday's defeat in a game you could have brought to extra time and probably would have won if you did..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

If you still haven't got over that semi final defeat and let's be honest you never looked like winning it, how long will it take you to get over Saturday's defeat in a game you could have brought to extra time and probably would have won if you did..

Excuse me?

Who said I haven't gotten over it?

All I took exception to was someone saying Roscommon were far stronger than Cavan. They were not and I believe the points above show that.

As for Saturday, the simple fact is Cavan weren't as good as Cork over 60 minutes. I don't know if Cork played to their full capacity but Cavan didn't and we'll take heart from the fact it's the third year in a row we've at least reached this stage.

Where was this superior Roscommon team last Saturday btw? You lads are fairly vocal for supporters of a team who didn't even reach the semis this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement