Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

u-21 Football Semi Finals

Options
  • 20-04-2013 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭

When you only get 7 scores and kick 18 wides you dont deserve to win any match.What the hell is wrong with Kildare , there seems to be a complete lack of composure in the forward line in the senior team and the same applied to the u-21s today.Players taking hail mary shots constantly when if they had a little patience they could have worked a better shooting position for another forward.
    There was a huge contrast between Kildare and Galway every time galway went forward they looked like they were going to score and their forward line had some cohesion and patience which Kildares forward line lacked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A load of wides from Kildare but their shot selection was poor. Often trying shots from way out or at bad angles. Galway much more economical and you felt they had the more skillful footballers all round despite the size disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Kildare, big, fit and powerful. Galway the better footballers.
    Less time in gym more time on the field needed, or else start picking players based on talent rather than physique.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Is there not a Kildare GAA thread for talk exactly like this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

HT

Cork 0-7 Cavan 0-5

Cork have been the better team but when Cavan play direct they look very dangerous and I wouldnt rule them out.Should be a good second half.Eoin Cadogans brother has played well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I know he's only an u-21 but what was Cavans goalie at.Terrible brain melt from him.

Great comeback by Cavan its a pity they didnt tie it up.The last scoing attempt was disappointing he should have at least ensured the ball went to back post so the other forwards could keep it alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

IIRC didn't that goalie have a brainfart in last years semi too......was it a quick kick out or something that was lobbed in over his head ? I'd feel sorry for him once but twice would suggest him and the coach need a kick in the hole IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I know he's only an u-21 but what was Cavans goalie at.Terrible brain melt from him.

Great comeback by Cavan its a pity they didnt tie it up.The last scoing attempt was disappointing he should have at least ensured the ball went to back post so the other forwards could keep it alive

Horrific it see happening.

Could see it coming but wouldn't blame the lad too much, as his defence had completely failed him.

The pain of it probably comes from the fact that you think it would be relatively easy for the keeper not to concede the free/hold up play if he was any bit composed

As an aside you wonder if the keeper ever spent any time playing out the field.

Disappointed it didn't go to extra-time.

EDIT: My mini-rant on playing out of position wasn't really on-topic so I started a separate thread on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056930890

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Kildare kicked 20 wides to Galways 5 that's some stat! Galway have been sailing close to the wind in the last few games though in Mayo,Roscommon,Kildare they may have beaten the best sides in this U-21 competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Been following Kildare for a long time now and can't for the life of me ever rember us beating a Galway team in any code.

Well done today Galway, took your chances when they came along. Best of luck to both Galway and Cork in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Galway have been sailing close to the wind in the last few games though in Mayo,Roscommon,Kildare they may have beaten the best sides in this U-21 competition.
    Er, on the evidence of today, and the last three years, Cavan and Cork are the best sides in the U-21 competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Er, on the evidence of today, and the last three years, Cavan and Cork are the best sides in the U-21 competition.

I agree and this is an exceptional cork team beaten only by the eventual champions the last 2 years ,
    Best of luck to them in the final they are a fine side and like us they deserve their day in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Ah, I think the Dubs might beg to differ. They've won two of the last three titles!

I'd love to agree with you (I'm from Cavan myself) but the painful truth is we haven't had the quality to close out the deal in any of the last three years. The senior side is still weak but will hopefully benefit from the success of the U-21s. Although that's not guaranteed either.

Marvellous achievement winning three on the spin in Ulster, though.

Ah, I think the Dubs might beg to differ. They've won two of the last three titles!

And Galway won the other beating both Cork and Cavan on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

That is true. A very fine Galway team too. Didn't really give us a kick in the final.

Yes, this is a very attractive Cork team and they may very well to go and win this year, but if there's one thing true in sport it's that no team ever 'deserves' to win a trophy. How many promising sides have been heavily tipped in the past only to come up short? Cork will deserve it when they lift the trophy. Not before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

That Cork team in 2011 were considered top class and odds on to win the AI. There were hugely confident. But Galway gave them a lesson that day expecially around midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Red Pepper wrote: »
    That Cork team in 2011 were considered top class and odds on to win the AI. There were hugely confident. But Galway gave them a lesson that day expecially around midfield.

Yeah I agree Galway with O Currain won midfield but more so when Aidan Walsh went off.
    But this year Cork are winning tight games and management dont panic and all through the year have tinkered and been ruthless with this team to get the best 15 out there.
    Galway beat us and deserved it but Cork were up by 4 and Aidan Walsh got injured and Sheehan went to midfield we relied too much on Barry O Driscoll and Mark Collins to score for us.
    Any 6 forwards on this current team as proven so far can be a match winner on their day.It is not a 4 man show this time.
    A lot of the 2011 guys have become resilant and after every defeat became more battle hardened.Things have not gone our way in most games at times but this panel has the self belief to do the right thing at the most crucial times of games,where it is the difference between winning or loosing big games.
    2011 won't have much bearing on this game ,the minor 2010 game will have more of a one.
    Galway had a huge lead against us but we made the comebacks of comebacks to snatch it.
    Galway will feel they owe us one but Cork will feel Galway should not have got such a big lead.
    Our Full back line will be much different to the minor one where Cahalane had moved to midfield.
    We have a bench where we have Vaughan,Crowley and Hallisey all guys that would make most starting teams.
    It will be very close,and a unique occasion,that should be a classic high tempo game in that both teams like to play football first and foremost without tactics.
    From the senior final of 73,to the 87 Senior replay,to Kevin walsh inspiring Galway minors to beat Cork in the mid 80's,to the minor and U21 games of the last three years,Cork and Galway have always been great games for entertainment and for the purists.
    It will be close and like Munster when they lost two European Cups in Rubgy ,they never said they deserved to win,but on the field of play they earned the right to win.
    It will be the same in two weeks,who ever plays well on the day and earns the right will be champions.
    It will be very close,but I feel we may edge this on our forwards potential and the expierence of the management.

Red Pepper wrote: »

Should be a tight final anyway. Galway beat Cork at U-21 in 2011 in the semi-final. And Cork beat Galway by a point in a minor semi-final in 2010 in a game Galway led by 8 points at one stage. Basically the vast majority of both teams played in at least one of those games.

In the last three years it would be Dublin,Galway, no backdoor in the U-21 championship so we are left with todays final four. The current Cork team aren't as good as their 2011 side IMO. On route to this All Ireland final i think Galway have beaten better sides (Kildare,Roscommon,Mayo) than Cork (Kerry,Tipp,Cavan) have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I agree and this is an exceptional cork team beaten only by the eventual champions the last 2 years ,
    Best of luck to them in the final they are a fine side and like us they deserve their day in the sun

U-21s make 5-7 changes per year can't go on other years when judging current team.

Cavan have done great to win three in row Ulster titles however it's the All Ireland series they have stuggled in with only one win in three years v Wexford i think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Should be a tight final anyway. Galway beat Cork at U-21 in 2011 in the semi-final. And Cork beat Galway by a point in a minor semi-final in 2010 in a game Galway led by 8 points at one stage. Basically the vast majority of both teams played in at least one of those games.
    Thomas Healy, Shane Walsh, Ian Burke, Gearoid Canavan, Phil Ez, David Cunnane, Cathal Mulryan, Damien Comer and Sean Moran didn't play in either of those games iirc.
    Very different Galway team anyway. Star of the show in 2010 & Galway senior Peadar Óg is injured and has been for the whole championship. Should be a very interesting final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

no way galway don't win the title from here, we (roscommon) totally dominated in normal time and lead by 3 going into the final 4 minutes and still didn't win, galway in that match got a goal in the first minute which didn't cross the line, smith hit the post 5 yards out with an open goal at his mercy and in the second half we kicked wide after wide despite coming forward in waves, by all accounts mayo also had the majority of the play and kildare kicked 18 wides on saturday

i said coming out the hyde that evening galway would go on to win the whole thing, same feeling i had leaving the hyde on a warm summer afternoon back in 1998 when we also outplayed galway in normal time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

In the last three years it would be Dublin,Galway, no backdoor in the U-21 championship so we are left with todays final four. The current Cork team aren't as good as their 2011 side IMO. On route to this All Ireland final i think Galway have beaten better sides (Kildare,Roscommon,Mayo) than Cork (Kerry,Tipp,Cavan) have.

You were in attendance at all of these games yeah.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    no way galway don't win the title from here, we (roscommon) totally dominated in normal time and lead by 3 going into the final 4 minutes and still didn't win, galway in that match got a goal in the first minute which didn't cross the line, smith hit the post 5 yards out with an open goal at his mercy and in the second half we kicked wide after wide despite coming forward in waves, by all accounts mayo also had the majority of the play and kildare kicked 18 wides on saturday

i said coming out the hyde that evening galway would go on to win the whole thing, same feeling i had leaving the hyde on a warm summer afternoon back in 1998 when we also outplayed galway in normal time
    That says more about Roscommons lack of ability and self belief to close out the game than Galway being unbeatable which is what youre saying.
    The difference between this Cork team ,in most games at minor and U21 the last three years is they unlike other teams win close games.Kerry was very close but we beat them.Most teams would have lost when there were level with a very brave Cavan team in injury time but Cork did not and were calm and composed when it mattered the most.
    There is a huge self belief in this Cork team combined with 6 forwards who can score,and another on the bench that would get on most U21 teams.
    If you keep giving teams huge opportunites like Galway youre bound to come a cropper eventually.
    Galway are a good team and it will be close but to base it alone on the fact ye or Kildare could not beat them doesnt mean we wont and that their name is already on the cup.
    With all due respect we would beat Roscommon and Kildare too.
    There facing a different Cork team in two weeks.
    Cork could have felt the Gods were against us when we had a perfectly good point ruled wide.We did not let it be our downfall.We still won the game.
    Different teams react in different ways.
    Kildare beat themselves,they dont have natural scoring forwards.This Cork team has it in abundance.

No thats not true.The 2011 team had indivduals mainly Walsh and Sheehan mainly.Walsh went off injured,then Sheehan was moved out to midfield.We had no bench then.
    This Cork team is much better than 2011 as they play as a team and Cahalane,Clancy and O Rourke will all be in contention for the senior team this year.They played two league games and would have played more only for this championship.
    Hurley will play for Cork even with all the forward talent at senior available.
    Hanahran in goal is a superb keeper and was involved this year with the seniors.
    There is about 8 of this team that all will probably play for Cork at senior down the line.
    Cavan were a fine side and much better than kildare.I would not say Mayo were any better or worse than Kerry.
    We beat a fine Tippereary side in thurles that had the bulk of a minor all ireland winning side and that also had a strength and conditiong coach working with that team.They were as proffessional as a senior side would be.
    David Power is an excellent manager and had Gerry Macgill as a selector from the Senior side involved with that Tippereary team.Macgill has had huge success with any team he has been involved in at ladies and men's football.
    So not only were Tippereary a talented team but they had an excellent management team in charge,and Cork beat them in Thurles handy in the end.
    Mayo are like Kildare,overhyped,all big strong men but lacking pure footballers.
    Kildare were blown up in the media cause they had been together since developments squads at U-14 level and upwards and Mcgeeney was the manager.He has won nothing of relevance to been seen as anything special at senior and did not look like he knew what to do yesterday..Kildare beat no body bar Longford who shocked Dublin in the first game.
    Kildare would not have beaten Dublin and struggled to beat Longford.
    A sunday newspaper had more or less said last week Kildare were unbeatable.What rubbish.
    It said Kildare also had a player that had played aussie rules as if it meant anything extra.
    Cork have Damien Cahalane who took part in trials for the AFL last November.He would be good enough to make it if he wanted to play that game.
    Galway will be tough at the minor game was close in 2010,but I expect Cork to win as we have a strong bench added to the fact we have 6 scoring forwards.
    Just cause Roscommon and Kildare lacked the skill and belief and managed to throw away their games does not mean Cork will do the same.
    Cork have won close games all through minor and U21 the last three years with this bunch of players.
    The Tippereary team Cork beat would beat Roscommon and Mayo if they had met.
    This Cork team has a manager that will be involved in hes 4th final looking to win he's second.This is a much better Cork set up than you give it credit for and beat a fine Cavan side that never gave up,compared to Galway beating a Kildare team that are no comparison to them.

No thats not true.The 2011 team had indivduals mainly Walsh and Sheehan mainly.Walsh went off injured,then Sheehan was moved out to midfield.We had no bench then.
    This Cork team is much better than 2011 as they play as a team and Cahalane,Clancy and O Rourke will all be in contention for the senior team this year.They played two league games and would have played more only for this championship.
    Hurley will play for Cork even with all the forward talent at senior available.
    Hanahran in goal is a superb keeper and was involved this year with the seniors.
    There is about 8 of this team that all will probably play for Cork at senior down the line.
    Cavan were a fine side and much better than kildare.I would not say Mayo were any better or worse than Kerry.
    We beat a fine Tippereary side in thurles that had the bulk of a minor all ireland winning side and that also had a strength and conditiong coach working with that team.They were as proffessional as a senior side would be.
    David Power is an excellent manager and had Gerry Macgill as a selector from the Senior side involved with that Tippereary team.Macgill has had huge success with any team he has been involved in at ladies and men's football.
    So not only were Tippereary a talented team but they had an excellent management team in charge,and Cork beat them in Thurles handy in the end.
    Mayo are like Kildare,overhyped,all big strong men but lacking pure footballers.
    Kildare were blown up in the media cause they had been together since developments squads at U-14 level and upwards and Mcgeeney was the manager.He has won nothing of relevance to been seen as anything special at senior and did not look like he knew what to do yesterday..Kildare beat no body bar Longford who shocked Dublin in the first game.
    Kildare would not have beaten Dublin and struggled to beat Longford.
    A sunday newspaper had more or less said last week Kildare were unbeatable.What rubbish.
    It said Kildare also had a player that had played aussie rules as if it meant anything extra.
    Cork have Damien Cahalane who took part in trials for the AFL last November.He would be good enough to make it if he wanted to play that game.
    Galway will be tough at the minor game was close in 2010,but I expect Cork to win as we have a strong bench added to the fact we have 6 scoring forwards.
    Just cause Roscommon and Kildare lacked the skill and belief and managed to throw away their games does not mean Cork will do the same.
    Cork have won close games all through minor and U21 the last three years with this bunch of players.
    The Tippereary team Cork beat would beat Roscommon and Mayo if they had met.
    This Cork team has a manager that will be involved in hes 4th final looking to win he's second.This is a much better Cork set up than you give it credit for and beat a fine Cavan side that never gave up,compared to Galway beating a Kildare team that are no comparison to them.

Disagree. Kerry could have beaten you this year and the final against Tipp swung in Cork's favour when a number of Tipp key players went off injured even then most doesn't expect the best out of Tipp until next year. Cavan were within one scoreable free of bringing that game into extra time yesterday if they did they would have all the momentum and probably would have won it.

The 2011 Cork team stream rolled through Munster Galway did likewise in Connacht both sides are better than anything i have seen this years U-21 championship and the All Ireland semi final (Cork v Galway) was the final in all but name. For the record Galway have very few of the 2010 minor team. Connacht underage football is currently stronger than Ulster and that's not to take away from Cavan's fine record of three in row. Going on the last decade Cork are about to face a side from arguably the strongest U-21 province if Roscommon,Mayo had beaten Galway they would have reached the All Ireland final IMO i'm not sure would Kerry or Tipp have beaten Cavan.

Cork will clearly have to improve on yesterday's performance if they want to All Ireland. Galway are beatable however going on the last three games their name looks to on the trophy already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

That says more about Roscommons lack of ability and self belief to close out the game than Galway being unbeatable which is what youre saying.

roscommon had numerous players that played in last years under 21 final with dublin so they shouldn't lack ability or self belief and the younger guys who came in have multiple connacht minor medals and had beaten alot of the younger galway lads over the past two years, 18 of the same players that started 2 weeks ago (9 from both) started this e.g http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?itemID=18918

i never saw a game like it and i have been going to gaa matches for nearly 30 years, when i see games like that its hard to not think the cup is destined for the winning team, i don't know whether cork would have beaten roscommon or kildare as i haven't seen enough of cork, they struggled with cavan and roscommon were much stronger than cavan last year and on paper cavan looked better last year, i know this was an exceptionally strong roscommon side this year though

Disagree. Kerry could have beaten you this year and the final against Tipp swung in Cork's favour when a number of Tipp key players went off injured even then most doesn't expect the best out of Tipp until next year. Cavan were within one scoreable free of bringing that game into extra time yesterday if they did they would have all the momentum and probably would have won it.

The 2011 Cork team stream rolled through Munster Galway did likewise in Connacht both sides are better than anything i have seen this years U-21 championship and the All Ireland semi final (Cork v Galway) was the final in all but name. For the record Galway have very few of the 2010 minor team. Connacht underage football is currently stronger than Ulster and that's not to take away from Cavan's fine record of three in row. Going on the last decade Cork are about to face a side from arguably the strongest U-21 province if Roscommon,Mayo had beaten Galway they would have reached the All Ireland final IMO i'm not sure would Kerry or Tipp have beaten Cavan.

Cork will clearly have to improve on yesterday's performance if they want to All Ireland. Galway are beatable however going on the last three games their name looks to on the trophy already.
    You are wrong with all due respect.If and buts and maybees are all circumstantial evidence which have no relevance at all.
    Lets deal with the facts.Tippereary are a fine side and beat roscommon at minor two years ago.
    Connaught is the not the strongest province this year.Ulster is ,and we beat a fine Cavan side yesterday who would beat anything mayo and the rest would throw at them.
    That 2011 win against Kerry was a great result.We got a ten minute purple patch and built up a huge result they never recovered from.Against Galway when Aidan Walsh was injured we collapsed.
    If we were as good as you say we were we would not of lost a 4 point lead.
    This team as a team this year is much better with no shortage of stars either.
    This year Cork showed they a better all round team and can win close games.
    We beat Kerry in a close game.A kerry side that were well organised under Darragh O Se.
    Tippereary having men injured would not have changed the match at all.
    We had Cathal Vaughan sick who would have seen game time if fit.
    David Power said as much after the game that he's team were just outclassed.
    The way you are talking they might as well call of the match in two weeks time.
    Galways name already on the Cup is with all due respect way off the mark.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    roscommon had numerous players that played in last years under 21 final with dublin so they shouldn't lack ability or self belief and the younger guys who came in have multiple connacht minor medals and had beaten alot of the younger galway lads over the past two years, 18 of the same players that started 2 weeks ago (9 from both) started this e.g http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?itemID=18918

i never saw a game like it and i have been going to gaa matches for nearly 30 years, when i see games like that its hard to not think the cup is destined for the winning team, i don't know whether cork would have beaten roscommon or kildare as i haven't seen enough of cork, they struggled with cavan and roscommon were much stronger than cavan last year and on paper cavan looked better last year, i know this was an exceptionally strong roscommon side this year though
    Fair enough but to loose a game from a big lead is as much lost as it won by the opposition.
    Cavan reeled us back but we still had the belief and key players to win the ball at midfield and earn the vital free.
    People say if Cavan had scored the free it was a draw.
    If the umpires did their job Cork would not have had a point not given and won anway.
    Kildare Junior footballers who are pretty much a development spin of the seniors we beat 2 years ago in the all ireland junior football final in extra time.
    Unlike Kildare none of our lads played senior for club.
    They should have beaten us but as most Kildare teams do they beat themselves.
    Kildare struggle against Cork in big games at all levels.Kildare were favourites.
    This U21 team would have beaten Kildare.
    Yes Galway with their tradition and talent will be tough.
    But no ones destiny is already made.
    This Cork teams knows how to close games out and has a bench of 3 men who can change a game.Cork have every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Kildare Junior footballers who are pretty much a development spin of the seniors we beat 2 years ago in the all ireland junior football final in extra time.
    Unlike Kildare none of our lads played senior for club.
    They should have beaten us but as most Kildare teams do they beat themselves.
    Kildare struggle against Cork in big games at all levels.Kildare were favourites.
    This U21 team would have beaten Kildare.

Irrelevant. You're not playing Kildare. We were not at the races at all yesterday and were deservedly beaten. That's championship football for you. One bad day and you're gone.

• Advertisement

Irrelevant. You're not playing Kildare. We were not at the races at all yesterday and were deservedly beaten. That's championship football for you. One bad day and you're gone.
    It was in relation to a post to support a point if you read all the post.

Advertisement