Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mucked up climate.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

woodoo wrote: »
    A drunk queen bee banged into me as i was putting the key into my front door last week. Gave me a fright i hadn't been expecting them out this early.

Why can't we conduct a mass extermination and rid the Ireland of these pesky and irritating pests. I know they are part of the biological chain but I wouldn't mind sacrificing that for the peace of mind that they won't randomly stab me in the neck.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Why can't we conduct a mass extermination and rid the Ireland of these pesky and irritating pests. I know they are part of the biological chain but I wouldn't mind sacrificing that for the peace of mind that they won't randomly stab me in the neck.

/thread

Ah were you Sniffing the Gas again ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No it means I'm pretty sure I read that they were but am open to correction.

Edit: apologies, it was warmest years not summers i should have said. 2012 and 2010 both in top ten: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental_temperature_record

Well if you're using Wikipedia for you're information there's no arguing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

A huge bee flew into the kitchen window today, so loud I jumped! he was the size of a €2 coin!!

Their sting is an absolute bastard. A foreign acquaintance of mine was complaining about being stuck in Dublin city centre, when her main reason for moving here was to enjoy our lush countryside. So, around this time last year - I brought her out to blessington lakes and corcaigh park. Show her that she can enjoy nature, without leaving Dublin. As we were walking towards the small fishing lake in corcaigh, I picked up a large branch - why, I dunno?! Big mistake.

As I picked it up, I got a bee sting on my left hand. Let out a large ffs - but it took a while for the pain to really kick in. Are you ok? Is that a tear rolling down your cheek?

Dont f*ck with dying bees or wasps. Winged bastards. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

What you mean ''cold april''
    Here in Limerick it has been roasting for the past few days :D
    It hasn't been "roasting" anywhere in Ireland the past few days - sunny maybe, but far from roasting.
    syklops wrote: »
    Re: Global Warming. If the earth is getting warmer why are our summers still as cold as wet as 30 years ago but our winters are colder?
    Isn't it to do with the ice melting, causing cold air? Or something.

Irish summers are always fairly sh1t (there has been the odd summer with lovely weather for a while but most of the time they're dull and rainy) however the last two have actually been cold for the time of year. Prior to them, it was still relatively mild, even if wet.

• Advertisement

I have to admit I was very surprised a couple of weeks ago, after 3 weeks when Daffodils were killed off and we were below 2 degrees every night, to see a bunch of moths around the house. It hasn't improved since things have gotten milder. Really not looking forward to this summer insect-wise if they're already starting despite the cold snap at the end of spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

/thread

The Ireland isn't some kind of bio-dome where you can exterminate species forever. You'll have to just get your mam to let it out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

/thread
    Einstein reckoned Mankind would die out within years of the extinction of bees.
    They are vital for pollination.
    We should be protecting and breeding them not swatting them.

On the OP, I read (in the print media, so no link) that rainfall in Donegal had increased by 90% in the last 100 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Einstein reckoned Mankind would die out within years of the extinction of bees.
    They are vital for pollination.
    We should be protecting and breeding them not swatting them.

On the OP, I read (in the print media, so no link) that rainfall in Donegal had increased by 90% in the last 100 years.

What the fúck would Einstein know about bees?
    Great man for sorting patents and thinking about the speed of light and all - but bees? He knew feck all about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

stoneill wrote: »
    Great man for sorting patents and thinking about the speed of light and all - but bees? He knew feck all about them!

He probably knew that bees pollinate plants, and was reasonably intelligent to see that that is one of the most important things for humans to survive (down the line, like).

But I suppose everything is important in a chain-of-life type thing. Even wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The biggest racket in history is the Green business, forget the numbers, loan sharking, contract killing, drug dealing, extortion etc. It's the ultimate business because it's completely legitimate to gain profit from it. A legal form of Racketeering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Madam_X wrote: »
    It hasn't been "roasting" anywhere in Ireland the past few days - sunny maybe, but far from roasting.

Isn't it to do with the ice melting, causing cold air? Or something.

Irish summers are always fairly sh1t (there has been the odd summer with lovely weather for a while but most of the time they're dull and rainy) however the last two have actually been cold for the time of year. Prior to them, it was still relatively mild, even if wet.

It was 15 Degrees
    Lol, After heavy showers,wind and cold for the past 8/9 months, you find even 10 degrees roasting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wasps are bastards, once you go for one of them, a whole host of them go out of their way to attack you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Wasps and bees are attracted by exhaled CO2 - Once one stings, the pheremones released will whip the rest into a frenzy and will go after the source of CO2.
    Einstein told me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

stoneill wrote: »
    You try feeding 10 billion people in 30 years time without bees.
    Fruit trees bear no fruit, 70% of vegetable types would simply die off.

Advertisement