Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Teenager kills himself after listening to metal music"

Options
  • 19-04-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

A schoolboy killed himself after listening to death metal on his iPod, an inquest has heard.

Truman Edley, who was just 15 at the time of his death, hanged himself in the hallway of the family home in Rotherham after he had been listening to the violent music.

A coroner refused to name the band he was listening to or publish the extreme lyrics which formed part of the evidence at the inquest in Rotherham.

The official also noted that Truman had been suffering from a number of problems, and his mother said that he had 'self-esteem' issues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311557/Loving-teenager-hanged-listening-death-metal-music-dark-lyrics-glorified-death.html

A ridiculous example of the daily mail (there's the first problem) blaming music for what was obviously a much deeper problem. the article goes on to say
    She discovered his body at their home in November 2011, two months after she had found him sobbing in his bedroom wardrobe.

So there had obviously been an ongoing problem with him, and yet the headline and the majority of the article focus on the fact that he listened to metal music.

I thought the world (and even the Daily Mail) had moved on from blaming music, but apparently depression and mental health troubles simply aren't important enough to report on without firing up the pitchforks about something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

I call shananigans on this bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Ah, The Daily Mail. Must be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Blaming music? I didn't know there was anything left in the barrel to scrape >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Obviously more going on behind the scenes. Can't blame it solely on what he had on the iPod.

That said, I doubt many people have hung themselves listening to ABBA...

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

If music contributed to suicides, how come Daniel O Donnell hasn't got a kill streak yet.

Stupid tabloid sensationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Above all, I hope no one takes this seriously. He had a host of other issues, the music had nothing to do with it

If music makes people kill themselves, there should have been a rake of suicides everytime Red House Painters or Katatonia released a new album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

13spanner wrote: »
    Obviously more going on behind the scenes. Can't blame it solely on what he had on the iPod.

May he rest in peace.

Have you ever listened to ABBA backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I hope they don't name the band, you'll have the merry band of daily fail vigilante nutcases after them.
    PC Glyn Farrell, who attended the scene of the death, said he was a fan of death metal but admitted it could be depressive.

'I do listen to that sort of music myself, which has a lot of screaming with heavy guitar sounds,'

LOL whuttt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Daft sensationalist headline. The article said that he had been suffering from other problems.

Heart goes out to the family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

That tabloid should also have found out what he had for breakfast that day. Then they could have had a choice of headlines between the "metal music" and "Boy kills himself after eating Cheerios".

Reality however is probably something along the lines of "Boy kills himself due to unrecognised, untreated depression".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If I kill myself after dinner, does that mean eating is evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The kid killed himself in 2011.....but it's new today !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Something like that still exists? It was all around the tabloids already, when I was teenager...30 years ago :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Haven't seen a headline like that in a while :rolleyes:
    And if you believe it you are even thicker than the fools that write it.
    Bigger issues than that to worry about reading the article, which highlighting might actually benefit readers who know someone who may be suffering similarly. But of course, easier to play the blame game and mask the real ****ing issues..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

20 year ago there were court case over this stuff

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm fed up of the Daily Mail doing this. They seem to take perverse pleasure in going to the inquests of young teenagers, finding out that they listened to music that isn't Top 40 or is 'unconventional', and using it to say that it's the reason they killed themselves. They did the same thing with poor Hannah Bond. She started listening to My Chemical Romance, then killed herself, blaming the band. If they did just a tiny bit of research they would have copped on.

Their other headlines have included "Why no child is safe from the cult of emo". I really need to stop going to that site and giving them views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

This was a big thing when I was a teenager 20 years ago. We had a religious nutbar neighbour who was forever warning my mother of the dangers of letting me listen to Guns n' Roses and Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Tigger wrote: »

20 year ago there were court case over this stuff
    Aye, Judas Priest had to put up with this crap in 1990 over the Stained Glass album version of "Better By You, Better Than Me", a song released 12 years before; wonder why it took someone so long to do it. :rolleyes:

In the words of Bill Hicks...

"What performer wants their audience dead?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I never understood this logic of "angry, violent music = depressed person".

Surely if any music was going to cause a downer in someone it would be the likes of Radiohead's older material?

Or is mainstream music that has made a lot of money exempt from this sort of ignorant nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Did hid mother try to get him help after finding him sobbing in his wardrobe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

gcgirl wrote: »
    Have you ever listened to ABBA backwards?

Still sounds like ABBA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How many teens have killed themselves listening to sad , slow **** music. You dont see that making the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

13spanner wrote: »
    yeah but you start off listening to ABBA. Thats the problem right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The kid killed himself in 2011.....but it's new today !!

The inquest into his death only happened this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

It really is low to use a kids death to sell newspapers. Then again the daily fail never ceases to disgust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Steve O wrote: »
    I hope they don't name the band, you'll have the merry band of daily fail vigilante nutcases after them.

LOL whuttt...

Could be MM

I know that one of his songs does end with " you might as well kill yourself you're already dead"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Death metal is more likely to make a kid go out n create violence than kill themselves. Plenty of other bmainstream bands that are ****ing depressive , Coldplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Festy wrote: »
    Could be MM

I know that one of his songs does end with " you might as well kill yourself you're already dead"

He's not death metal lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Its that feckin death metal. They should ban it immediately.

And look...look at this - Justin Beiber should be banned too! He upsets small children, for Gods sake..

Thank you, Daily Mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

kona wrote: »
    He's not death metal lol

Metal or Death Metal it all sounds the same to the old folks

Advertisement