Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samantha Brick strikes again: women need to diet every day

Options
  • 18-04-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Samantha Brick up to her old antics. This is a new article published on the Daily Mail in which she describes the importance of always being thin and the measures she goes to achieve it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2310797/Samantha-Brick-Joan-Collins-right-Any-woman-wants-stay-beautiful-needs-diet-day.html?ITO=socialnet-facebook-dailymail
    When my husband and I invited friends to dinner, I knew they'd want to bring something along as a contribution to the evening and made a point of saying that wasn't necessary.
    So when one friend arrived and thrust a hefty box of chocolates into my hands, I rewarded her with ice-cold contempt rather than the grateful smile she was clearly expecting.
    At the end of the evening, that very expensive box of hand-made French chocolates was consigned to the bottom of the kitchen bin, the contents ruined by the coffee dregs I had deliberately poured over them.
    I am 42 years old and have been on a permanent diet for the past 30 years. The logic is simple and irrefutable: any self-respecting woman wants to be thin, and to be thin you need to spend your life on a diet.
    I don't believe overweight is ever attractive. Whether we like it or not, we live in an age and a part of the world where men and women regard thin as beautiful.
    As an actress, this is something Joan Collins understands only too well, revealing last week that the secret to maintaining a perfect hourglass figure into your 70s is spending every day on a diet.
    Joan, 79, said she controlled her weight during a long career so that she could stay in work - an entirely laudable attitude.
    Like Joan, I have no intention of letting my body slide flabbily into middle age. I believe that any woman with a modicum of self-respect should watch her figure with the same vigour. Is it any coincidence that Joan is still attractive and in demand for work?
    I was glad to see the back of Easter this month, as it seems to have been hijacked by the greedy masses who regard it as a free pass to gorge on chocolate.
    Not a morsel passed my lips. Chocolate, cakes, sweets and any other calorie-rich, fat-laden 'foods' are banned in my home.
    For three decades, self-denial has been my best friend. And one of my biggest incentives is that I know men prefer slim women.
    I have only ever dated men who kept a strict eye on my figure. My partners are not only boyfriends but weight-loss coaches.
    My first love continually reminded me that one can never be too rich or too thin, and my husband of five years frequently tells me that if I put on weight he will divorce me.

More...
    I left my son at four months old to go back to work. 37 years on, he's still paying the emotional price: One mother's startling and courageous confession
    LORRAINE CANDY: Great British Parent Off - the show that lasts 25 years and ages you 50
    The day I became a wife then a widow in seven shattering hours
    In the workplace, male bosses will always give the top job to a woman who looks fit and in control, rather than one who looks like a bulging sack in danger of imminent cardiac arrest.
    I have some insight here, as I was overweight until I was 14 years old. Bitter experience taught me that the world pays no attention to dumpy girls.
    Little wonder that in my mid-teens I decided to lose my puppy fat, transforming myself as I lived, for the best part of a year, on Marmite on toast (no butter).
    The first summer I felt thin coincided with a family holiday abroad. While this provided an opportunity to show off my svelte new figure, I had to watch my calorie intake even more carefully.
    I fainted with hunger on one occasion - a minor hitch, eclipsed by the fact that I was being asked out on lots of dates.
    At college I invented the Polo diet. Eating a pack of mints for breakfast and another for lunch, I could make each one last hours.

I am 5ft 11in and slimmed down to a size 8. One of my lecturers was so worried she pulled me aside to voice her concern. I put her intervention down to jealousy, as she was a size 16.
    The Polo diet paid off: I could wear whatever I wanted and looked fantastic. I stopped only after a stern lecture from my dentist about the damage I was doing to my teeth.
    My 20s were dominated by dieting, and I managed to stay a steady size 8/10. If I put on a pound or two, I simply skipped a meal. I actually enjoyed - and still do - the hunger pangs. I see them as a reminder that I am not pigging out on pizzas and fast food.
    I even chose holidays according to the indigenous diet. India was a favourite because I lost weight on meagre vegetarian servings.
    To avoid culinary temptation, I even made a point of renting a house without a kitchen. Of course, constantly denying myself food was not and is not easy, but it has always brought enough rewards to make it worthwhile
    Florida was a disaster, so obscenely huge were the portions. Never again.
    In those days I didn't use scales to tell me if I'd gained weight: I went by the fit of my clothes. My benchmark was a pair of unforgiving, size 8, Agnes B skinny-fit trousers.
    A friend and I had a coded way of referring to the success of my latest diet. 'Ah! The Agnes B trousers are on!' she'd say, as I strutted across to the table at whichever restaurant we were meeting in.
    In my early 30s I lived in Los Angeles. The entire city is permanently on a diet, heaven for a serial dieter like me. I was a size 8, and became accustomed to surviving on fewer than 1,000 calories a day.
    I'd have a large black coffee for breakfast, so strong the caffeine would make me tremble. For lunch I'd eat a bagel with the bread inside scooped out and replaced with salad. Evening meals were either sushi or egg-white omelettes.
    To avoid culinary temptation, I even made a point of renting a house without a kitchen. Of course, constantly denying myself food was not and is not easy, but it has always brought enough rewards to make it worthwhile.
    In Los Angeles, for example, where I worked as a television producer, I was never out of work and never without a boyfriend.
    My self-control has slipped, on occasion, and I have found myself putting on weight. When I married my French husband, Pascal, in 2008, I wasn't at my thinnest. I suffered a bout of depression after losing my television company the previous year, and had gone up to a size 14.
    Luckily for me, there is no better weight-loss incentive than a Frenchman. Pascal would not tolerate a fat wife and has told me that if I put on weight, our marriage is over. What more motivation do I need?
    Today I am a size 12 and I never eat between meals. Elevenses isn't an excuse to gorge on carbs - it's just another hour on the clock.
    Typically, I eat porridge for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and meat or fish with vegetables for dinner. Occasionally I allow myself some cheese, and I often have a yoghurt after dinner.
    I maintain a food diary. I never shop when I'm hungry, I always read the packaging, and I weigh myself every other day.
    Like my female French in-laws, I follow an extreme low-calorie diet four times a year - one each season. I lose at least half-a-stone each time, though the side-effects mean that I don't have the mental or physical fortitude to work.
    The world admonished Kate Moss for claiming that 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' but I'd go further. As I see it, there is nothing in life that signifies failure better than fat.

What do you all think?
    Reading through this I was mostly sad at how she thinks everything she has achieved in life is due to her being thin and beautiful; she speaks as if her life is fabulous and we should be jealous of it when in fact she is obsessed with her weight to the point that she sacrifices her health for it. Parts of this strike me as being as if she has an eating disorder; she certainly doesn't have a good relationship with food. It must be a very lonely sad life to be that vain. Thinking that your husband will divorce you if you get "fat".
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

My thoughts are that everybody should ignore this fool of a person and stop giving her a platform for voicing her troll like views.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

At the end of the evening, that very expensive box of hand-made French chocolates was consigned to the bottom of the kitchen bin, the contents ruined by the coffee dregs I had deliberately poured over them

All I have to say about this is....

I say the friend was real impressed reading this article - how ungrateful :eek:. She could have kept them for other guests or gave them on to a friend or family :( what I waste.

I would have ate them :o
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Another "contribution"* from Samantha Brick last week regarding IVF:
    ...there are some things we simply shouldn’t meddle with — and artificially creating life is one of them.

From her "article"* 'I wish IVF had never been invented' It's brought joy to so many. But, as the scientist behind IVF dies, SAMANTHA BRICK says it's given her nothing but heartache...

*she is not a journalist, her ramblings cannot be seriously considered either contributions or articles. She amounts to nothing more than a (likely) overpaid professional troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

I agree with every word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I only quickly skimmed the article. Maybe people should complaint to the editor if they strongly disagree with what she say. The paper only want the all attention her articles get. Free advertising basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Obvious trolling is obvious. If the Daily Hate is ignored by enough of us, it just might wither and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

the woman is either

a.) A Troll;
    b.) mentally unwell; or
    c.) an idiot

So basically your average daily mail reporter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The sad thing is there are women out there who actually live their life like that. I really feel for them. It doesn't sound like a very happy existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I think she's an idiot of the highest order. And the calorie intake she has admitted to following daily would probably leave her smaller than a size 12. I don't believe a word she says. I think it's all made up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Both articles read like blog entries on pro-ana websites. If she's not just getting her troll on I feel sorry for the daft bint & her parade of weightloss coach boyfriends.

[Although I am enjoying imagining how *awkward* that dinner must have been after she flayed her chocolate bringing friend with a look of 'ice-cold contempt' just as she came in through the door.]

lukesmom wrote: »
    I think she's an idiot of the highest order. And the calorie intake she has admitted to following daily would probably leave her smaller than a size 12. I don't believe a word she says. I think it's all made up.

She would most likely be borderline malnourished by eating like that. There is no mention of health either which is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

The Cool wrote: »
    Parts of this strike me as being as if she has an eating disorder; she certainly doesn't have a good relationship with food. It must be a very lonely sad life to be that vain. Thinking that your husband will divorce you if you get "fat".
    Thoughts?
    You're reading far too much into it. It's fictional trolling in the guise of an opinion piece.

The template used by Daily Mail is simple: Get a "journalist" with no integrity to identify a topic likely to provoke a strong response. Write an article to provoke the desired response. Post the article online, and watch the ensuing response from angry posters on the Mail comments section and social media users posting links to the article. Meanwhile, the Daily Mail racks up a large number of page impressions, raising their advertising revenues. Rinse and repeat.

Best response is don't click, don't link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

my husband of five years frequently tells me that if I put on weight he will divorce me.

The poor woman just needs some love.

The poor woman just needs some love.

Or a brain & self respect & integrity... the list could go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

As I see it, there is nothing in life that signifies failure better than fat.

Coming from a journalist with the daily mail thats very rich:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Her whole persona is clearly manufactured, and taking advantage of the bounce she received from her initial "There are downsides to looking this pretty" Daily Mail article in 2012.

She has had numerous other articles published since then on the back of this, coupled with some high profile TV appearances. You would have to give her some credit for making something from nothing apart from having a brass neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I'm stuck between wondering if she's trash talking, or genuinely batsh*t, because I can't decide which situation is less unbelievable!

However whether it's a publicity stunt or really what she thinks, it's horrible to see this kind of attitude being glorified. Typical Daily Mail really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

This woman is a joke. The Daily Fail is full of rubbish like this and I'd say that "Samantha Brick" is a fictional character along with her French husband "Pascal". Why didn't she give him the chocolates, he looks like he's no stranger to carbs.

The hunger pangs bit is sinister, I remember feeling exactly the same way in my teens when I was in the throes of an eating disorder. I grew out of it but it looks like "Samantha Brick" hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

she is a consummate Daily Fail hack

I could single her out and say I wish she'd just shut up and stop airing this tripe, but that'd fall far short of the real culprit, I wish the Daily Fail would just shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I'm fairly certain this woman is trolling for ad revenues here.

Her 'diet' would have had serious health consequences by now. He face would be hollow, hair devoid of natural nutrients, skin fecked etc... on a diet of polo mints and toast.

How she sleeps at night, knowing THIS is how she pays the bills, astounds me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

She's a professional troll, says something absolutely bananas that no sane person could think, people talk about it, link to the website for hits and ad revenue, its a genius move by the Daily Mail to generate site traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

krudler wrote: »
    She's a professional troll, says something absolutely bananas that no sane person could think, people talk about it, link to the website for hits and ad revenue, its a genius move by the Daily Mail to generate site traffic.

It's not just the DM though who use her to bring in revenue, didn't RTE also have her on the Late Late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

C-

Points for the hilarity factor but otherwise too obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Her actual diet doesn't seem too bad - porridge, chicken & salad, and meat & veg. With a couple of snacks thrown it, it's a decent diet that I'd happily live on myself. And the stuff about not shopping when you're hungry and checking packaging is common sense.

The rest is batsh*t insane. Try as I might, I can't get outraged though. I just keep laughing at the thought of her 'ice-cold contempt' to her poor friend.

(Although letting hand-made French chocolate go to waste is awful!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

As I see it, there is nothing in life that signifies failure better than fat.

except possibly
    I lose at least half-a-stone each time, though the side-effects mean that I don't have the mental or physical fortitude to work.

Failure: skinny troll journalist who can't go to work as a skinny troll journalist because is off bin on VLCD diet and can't stand up or think sentences longer than 'I'd like a sausage'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why would you even read Daily Mail?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lukesmom wrote: »
    +1, on a 1000 cals a day you would likely be a lot thinner. You could be perfectly healthy on that level of intake, but it would take serious planning around your food choices(supplements would be required too) and you'd have little enough in reserve.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Are we sure this isn't satire? :confused: or is that a genre too far for the DM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

After being witness to her "dazzling" personality and sparkling wit on the last series of Big Brother (She has zero personality incidentally. AND she's absolutely bet down, the whole "being this beautiful is sooooo tough" piece was obviously trolltastic), the poor cow would want to have something going for her.

She's also definitely eating chocolate croissants on the sly because if she is eating the diet she says she is then she'd be slimmer than a size 12.

Yawn.

Advertisement