Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I remember...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I remember when tree fiddy was a thing.

STILL makes me laugh to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

KKkitty wrote: »
    I remember when kids played outside and not on computer games.
    I have to say, I find this really depressing.

I'm only 19 myself, but now I look at my younger cousins (around 6-8 years old), and instead of going out in the garden playing, or playing hide and seek or whatever, they're all sat around the living room with their DSs or tablets or whatever the fúck they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

KKkitty wrote: »
    I think with abductions of children some parents are afraid to let their kids out of their sight and coupled with more games consoles than you can shake a stick at the appeal for the outdoors isn't always there.

There was a little girl abducted (and never found) only a few miles from my home the year before I was born. My parents still let me and my older siblings play outside, it was a different time and without looking through rose-tinted glasses, it was a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

brummytom wrote: »

I'm only 19 myself, but now I look at my younger cousins (around 6-8 years old), and instead of going out in the garden playing, or playing hide and seek or whatever, they're all sat around the living room with their DSs or tablets or whatever the fúck they have now.
    Too much gadgets around these days. The only way you'd get some kids to play old school games is if there was a ds game or an app made.

I remember off licences opening till 11pm :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Senna wrote: »
    There was a little girl abducted (and never found) only a few miles from my home the year before I was born. My parents still let me and my older siblings play outside, it was a different time and without looking through rose-tinted glasses, it was a better time.

That's awful:( Some parents can over obsess about stuff like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember my mother having a fit when she caught me watching this

If she could see me now. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I remember when crisps like Burger Bites were tastier, they just taste bland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

... The ice-cream man. Every kid on the green would drop their football, skipping rope, shovel, bike or whatever they were playing with to scramble home and collect a few pence for a cone. We'd sit there in the sun, eating our spoils, blissfully unaware that this was the zenith of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Equium wrote: »
    ... The ice-cream man. Every kid on the green would drop their football, skipping rope, shovel, bike or whatever they were playing with to scramble home and collect a few pence for a cone. We'd sit there in the sun, eating our spoils, blissfully unaware that this was the zenith of existence.

Out of curiosity what games did ye play with the shovel?

Knifey/shovely? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I remember Jolly Rancher sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I remember when crisps like Burger Bites were tastier, they just taste bland now.

That's cos our tastebuds are fried Duggy. :p

Dipdabs, meanies, frosties, jawbreakers.... lethal stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I remember not rewinding the VHS when returning it back to xtravision

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

I remember when the sitting room floor was Lava and having a sup' of Dad's beer, when Pog's where all in fashion and summer holidays would last a year. Hey that rhymes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I remember when Taytos cost 6p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

I remember walking to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Online forms weren't that common until fairly recently - are you aging in dog years or something?

Bout 15 years ago, that's 15 more numbers to scroll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I remember mauling the cereal trying to get the toy :( I'm gutted they don't do them anymore, I loved them as a child.

Imagine giving a tamagotchi to a kid now, they'd be disgusted. With all their cool stuff on their tablets.

I remember astros, made by cadburys!! and onken frufoo.

I used to love superted vitamins too :( I'm 21 and I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I remember getting 10 penny mix-up's on a Sunday morning after mass.

A 10 penny mix-up costs €1 now in the very same shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I remember when a bag of chips was 35p for a "small single" and 45p for a "large single":(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

I remember varuca's were all the rage. People even had sock for them. Ye never hear about them any more. Like they just vanished. Did they find a cure or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I remember my older sisters used to tape top of the pops every week. And on this one week there was a girl called Vanessa paradise singing joe le taxi. Then when everybody was out rewinding it because she was just fabulous. And her nipples showing through her top.
    I was 7 years old and found myself thinking, I really need to see some more of this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I remember Playboy was illegal in Ireland.
    Mobile phones was something you saw in Star Trek.
    You assumed a black fella in Dublin was a student Doctor in Trinity.
    People protested outside a night club in Dublin because they sold condoms in the jacks.
    Red peppers was in the "exotic fruit" section of the supermarket.
    People thought you could catch AIDs from public toilets and kissing.
    Going out for a session was affordable and pubs were packed every weekend
    Nobody knew what negative equity even meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Is it just my imagination or are people starting to feel nostalgic at an earlier age nowadays? When I was in my twenties I was more concerned with what was happening at the present time than in looking at the recent past with rose coloured glasses.

I remember not sitting around remembering the days of my youth as if I was an old age pensioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

brummytom wrote: »

The original Gameboy is older than you are.

I was born in 1976 and I spent a great deal of my youth playing computer games. First my father brought home an Atari 2600 when I was about seven years old. I would spend hours every day playing Pacman and Missile Command. Then when I was about twelve I saved up and bought my own Commodore 64 and played it all day whenever I wasn't in school. I would start playing it the minute I woke up in the morning until about 9 PM when my father wanted to watch television.

Children sitting around playing video games instead of going outside is hardly a new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I was born in 1976 and I spent a great deal of my youth playing computer games. First my father brought home an Atari 2600 when I was about seven years old. I would spend hours every day playing Pacman and Missile Command. Then when I was about twelve I saved up and bought my own Commodore 64 and played it all day whenever I wasn't in school. I would start playing it the minute I woke up in the morning until about 9 PM when my father wanted to watch television.

Children sitting around playing video games instead of going outside is hardly a new phenomenon.

Thinly veiled "My family was minted in the 80s" comment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I remember when this thread gave me deja vu the first time round.. about a month ago, all the exact same responses too, was it just copied and pasted?

difference is games were nerdy then, wheras they are more cool now, is that word cool still cool to use?

*leans out window shouts at teenager to ask*

Is it just my imagination or are people starting to feel nostalgic at an earlier age nowadays? When I was in my twenties I was more concerned with what was happening at the present time than in looking at the recent past with rose coloured glasses.

I remember not sitting around remembering the days of my youth as if I was an old age pensioner.

apparently it happens during a recession, heard someone say this before, makes sense, if times are ****, then remember the times that made you smile ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It depends on the individual. Most think that their childhood was the best thing ever and constantly hark back to it, saying 'Ah jaysus, sure it's not nearly as good now.' Personally I prefer being a 33 year old. I have money to spend on what I want, plenty of sex, I can drink alcohol, take drugs, have kids, whatever I want. As kids we were so limited in specific ways. Of course, one of the major things about childhood is taking pleasure from small events. I do still do that and am grateful for it. But I'm never nostalgic. Nostalgia can become a terminal disease with no cure. In fact it's one of the reasons Ireland is relatively backward in certain respects - we are awash with nostalgia.

Advertisement