Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Europe's first wilderness project launched in Mayo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I wonder will they spoil it all by installing wind turbines onto this land in the near future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

zenno wrote: »
    I wonder will they spoil it all by installing wind turbines onto this land in the near future ?

I don't think they can if it's a protected area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

There is already one and another which would be one of Europe's biggest land ones planned both in the cut away bog to the north at Bellacorick. Its is relatively close but I am not sure if it is visible from the wild Nephin site.

What a good eye-sore, There they are making something beautiful, and then what do they do...they go ahead and destroy it with this turbine crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

One minute you are wondering if it might happen:

The next, you are giving out about it as if there's a plan in place:
    What a good eye-sore, There they are making something beautiful, and then what do they do...they go ahead and destroy it with this turbine crap.

So, which is it?

• Advertisement

One minute you are wondering if it might happen:

The next, you are giving out about it as if there's a plan in place:

So, which is it?

Are you just after waking up ? with that sarcastic comment. read the post above mine...they already put a wind turbine on the land. jezz. read post #34

I was wondering if they would put a turbine on this land but when the comment above was said, i can see now that one was put on the land. Now do you understand the comments ?.

It's called questions, and then you get answers to enlighten yourself from your original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...they already put a wind turbine on the land. jezz. read post #34...

Sorry, was reading quickly and must've skipped it accidentally!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Thats purely subjective, I don't consider them an eyesore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

It is subjective, but I get the impression from talking to people about them that the vast majority do consider them an eyesore!

Are you just after waking up ? with that sarcastic comment. read the post above mine...they already put a wind turbine on the land. jezz. read post #34

I was wondering if they would put a turbine on this land but when the comment above was said, i can see now that one was put on the land. Now do you understand the comments ?.

It's called questions, and then you get answers to enlighten yourself from your original question.

In fairness the Bellacorick site isn't the wild Nephin site. There is a couple of kms between. Maybe the Bellacorick windfarm can be seen from the north of the site but I am pretty sure from the centre the windfarm is not visible.

• Advertisement

Sorry, was reading quickly and must've skipped it accidentally!

No problem locum It happens. It's just a shame that they would put together this wilderness project and then stick those horrible electrical humming eye-sore masts in the wilderness. Ah well, what can we do as the owners of the land will make a load of cash every year on this.

robp wrote: »
    In fairness the Bellacorick site isn't the wild Nephin site. There is a couple of kms between. Maybe the Bellacorick windfarm can be seen from the north of the site but I am pretty sure from the centre the windfarm is not visible.

Right, i got ye. Well once they don't plant them all over this wilderness then that's not bad. Will see down the line in the near future how this goes.

It's a great idea anyway and we need a good open wilderness on this small island. I just hope they don't ruin it that's all.

Well maybe you don't but they certainly are not compatible with a wilderness designation when there in view.
    Right, i got ye. Well once they don't plant them all over this wilderness then that's not bad. Will see down the line in the near future how this goes.

It's a great idea anyway and we need a good open wilderness on this small island. I just hope they don't ruin it that's all.

Me too. The Bellacorick land is owned by Bord na Mona who are known for windfarms construction on bog sites they have destroyed. Although it is a different site it did annoy me somewhat as the area of land there is enormous and the wild Nephin site could have been vastly bigger if Bord na Mona contributed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

16 minute video from Collite TV about Wild Nephin starring Enda Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Even more bizarre when you consider trees grow faster in Ireland than any other country in Europe.
    As I said, were behind even Tunisia as regards tree plantation.
    Has there been a declaration that this area will be replanted or does it just mean there will be no human interference?
    FYI there are now HUGE restrictions on tree planting in Ireland-to plant more than 0.2 ha you actually have to apply for planning permission. An attempt was even made to bring in an order preventing landowners from planting shelter belts on their property, but it failed.
    Re. broadleaves, in that particular area of Mayo, the best you can hope for is a mixture of birch, rowan and willow. Sheltered pockets of land may support oak. With a little initial help, it should diversify, and the pine will recover, so maybe a pine/birch cover could develop. Most broadleaves require very fertile and well drained soil. That land is now under agriculture, although formerly it would have been under forest. It could wind up looking like areas in western North America.
    Please bear in mind the obstacles and mindless bureaucracy that has to be faced by those of us who would like to significantly afforest the countryside.

Advertisement