Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire brigade charges

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

charges for putting out fires has been around for a long time.

i got charged £500 when my car was burnt out and that was 13 years ago so nothing new.. pay up and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

humbert wrote: »
    Surely it's the person responsible for the fire that gets billed, not necessarily the owner of the object on fire. Any alternative would be sheer idiocy.

unfortunately as of yet the people responsible have not been caught.
    Victor wrote: »
    And if your car is next to your house?
    from now on if it were next to my house i will be having a crack at putting it out myself, and i feel a lot of people unfortunately will now do the same as opposed to facing these charges.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    I'm a little confused, if the car was stolen how did you know it was on fire?
    Plazaman wrote: »
    Yes, I'm not understanding this. Plus I'm not understanding the fact that you were calling the Fire Brigade anyway. Someone else got there before you but you only knew this after you rang. Did you or did you not want the car fire to be put out?.

ok to clarify the situation, when myself and family arrived home her indoors car was gone from its parking space. after reporting same to the guards i had a drive around to see could i find the car, my brother in law did the same. he was the one that came across the car it had only just been set on fire a few mins previous -probably after a bit of a joyride-. he then rang me to tell me, i rang the fire brigade to be told that somebody had just called and a unit was already on the way.

and to answer your question plazaman, the car was already on fire so the damage was done, at that stage it didnt matter if the fire was put out and if id of known of these ridiculous charges, no i definitely wouldnt have wanted it put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You're being charged for something that was entirely beyond your control and completely due to the actions of others (person who stole the car and person who called the fire brigade) and from which you received no benefit. I'd be angry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

and to answer your question plazaman, the car was already on fire so the damage was done, at that stage it didnt matter if the fire was put out and if id of known of these ridiculous charges, no i definitely wouldnt have wanted it put out.
    Jesus thats mad. I was saying earlier people could maliciously call them out to get you stung for money.

Going by the same logic as what happened here, if a scumbag siphoned petrol from your car, you saw him making a petrol bomb, you rang the gardai & fire brigade to report them, then you get charged for it if he uses that petrol bomb 10 miles away. Since it was your property on fire. Or if they broke off part of your front fence which was recognised later in a bonfire they put out then you can be charged. Its essentially the same thing, but I doubt they would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There was a full-time fireman on George Hook's show a couple of months ago who said that charges put people off immediately calling the fire brigade and instead they try to tackle fires themselves first. According to him it can and does cost lives and means that more properties are lost, and that puts a bigger burden on society than if call-outs were 'free'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that puts a bigger burden on society than if call-outs were 'free'.
    It would be interesting if you could somehow predict the figures.

People here are saying "ah, its grand, house insurance will cover it". But of course everybodies premiums go up. So really if insurance does cover it then its little different than everybody's taxes going up to cover it, we all end up paying in the end.

So with all the added administration fees & hassle involved, paying wages of unnecessary middlemen etc, it might be better just to leave it to be covered by taxes, and so everybody pays less in the end, higher tax, but less than the alternative rise of premiums (the premium having to paying for the €500 AND admin costs).

But also if people are wary of calling out the fire brigade more damage might be done, they only call when the house is really blazing. And so everybodies premiums go up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

There could just be a charge if the situation is misrepresented by the caller. That way the fire brigade could prioritise effectively and it should deter needless call outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

So when the fire man goes into a burning house, it's not to check for people stuck inside. But to get your wallet so you can pay the call out fee.

The fire brigade should have their own Halo app. If I'm paying, I want a fast service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

There was a full-time fireman on George Hook's show a couple of months ago who said that charges put people off immediately calling the fire brigade and instead they try to tackle fires themselves first. According to him it can and does cost lives and means that more properties are lost, and that puts a bigger burden on society than if call-outs were 'free'.

The new Censorship of Irish broadcasters law brought in last week by the state agency that issues broadcast licenses, the Broadcast Authority of Ireland, means that in future this kind of comment on air on " matters of public interest " can no longer be expressed by the shows presenter without him risking his station having their license withdrawn.

Seriously sickeningly worrying.

Soviet Russia used to have such policies too. And China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Time is getting close for private fire service to be introduced undercutting regular fire service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

stoneill wrote: »
    Time is getting close for private fire service to be introduced undercutting regular fire service.

maybe so, but i fear the same consequences i.e. people tackling fires etc themselves as opposed to calling the fire service to save a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Cue burning someone you don't likes car for the double whammy - car gone and a call-out charge for an additional little kick in the conkers. I will be the lad running in front of the car, waving my arms frantically into the water-stream from the hoses to stop them putting it out.-can they still charge if it burns to the axels?

Advertisement