Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire brigade charges

Options
  • 17-04-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

ok not sure where to put this so AH it is.

for a brief back story; her indoors had her car stolen a few weeks back, predictably it ended up burned out. when i rang the emergency services for a fire brigade they told me that someone had called already and one was on the way. they came, fire out, job done.

back to the present; today she received a letter in the post billing her for 500 euro for the above service. i had heard this kind of system was being introduced for people who rang the fire service, but didnt think think it was already in place.
    how can she get billed when she did not ring for the service? if they contact me, yes i did ring them but as i mentioned they had already received a call and it was that call that brought them out. for starters she wont be paying this bill and i certainly wont either. has anyone else experienced one of these letters and what did they do about it. on a side note wont this discourage people from ringing them in future and attempting to tackle fires on their own....thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm gonna start selling cats for €499 now.

It'll be cheaper to buy one from me than have yours rescued!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

Mad idea, will the insurance company pay the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

But it was her car that received the service, yes ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Im pretty sure they always charged for the fire services here in Ireland. €500 is very steep for a service paid for by the tax payer considering you didn't do something shut like leave the chip pan on while going to the shop.

I would find out if the insurance company will pay. If not offer them €200 say you can't pay anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

Most counties have some kind of charge for the fire service.

The beneficial owner of the property involved is the always the one billed. They got the benefit of the service.

If they always billed the caller no one would ring the fire service. If your house was on fire or you were unconscious in your car after a car crash you would want someone to ring the fire brigade wouldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

McDermotX wrote: »

I;m guessing this was the reason why as well OP, it was yourfriends car that was on fire, so you/they get billed.

I rang the fire brigade a few years ago, for a neighbouring building that was on fire. I'm guessing they got billed, as I didn't, and wouldn't ring, it I thought I would be. Am guessing alot wouldn't ring either, it thats the way the system worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Emergency services should be free. Charging people is a joke. We all pay tax... tax funds their budgets ... etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

hfallada wrote: »
    Im pretty sure they always charged for the fire services here in Ireland. €500 is very steep for a service paid for by the tax payer considering you didn't do something shut like leave the chip pan on while going to the shop.

I would find out if the insurance company will pay. If not offer them €200 say you can't pay anymore

I'd imagine €500 euro wouldn't cover the full cost of a fire brigade call out. It's still a subsidised service.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Emergency services should be free. Charging people is a joke. We all pay tax... tax funds their budgets ... etc.

In the UK the council tax covers it. I doubt our new property tax will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Unfortunately when they are free they are abused. The ambulance service is more like a taxi service in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just pass it on to your insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Trudiha wrote: »
    Mad idea, will the insurance company pay the bill?

not too sure, hard enough trying to get them to pay up for the car.
    McDermotX wrote: »

it was, but she didnt ask for the service, they came due to a call from somebody else. i know if my car is on fire in the future ill be letting it burn, wont be ringing for a 500 quid bill.

btw they also had a price list on the letter in question. most fires were 500, road traffic accidents were i think 650. every extra hour worked out at 450 approx and water and foam etc used on fire was charged per gallon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Surely it's the person responsible for the fire that gets billed, not necessarily the owner of the object on fire. Any alternative would be sheer idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

not too sure, hard enough trying to get them to pay up for the car.

it was, but she didnt ask for the service, they came due to a call from somebody else. i know if my car is on fire in the future ill be letting it burn, wont be ringing for a 500 quid bill.

btw they also had a price list on the letter in question. most fires were 500, road traffic accidents were i think 650. every extra hour worked out at 450 approx and water and foam etc used on fire was charged per gallon.

I don't have a problem with a call out charge of say €200 or something, but the above sounds insane.

Apparently they don't charge if there is a fatality. Now that's just going to give people bad ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

humbert wrote: »
    Surely it's the person responsible for the fire that gets billed, not necessarily the owner of the object on fire. Any alternative would be sheer idiocy.

But ultimately its the person liable for the property/vehicle that's providing a danger to others, such as in the case of fire, that is the final 'go-to' person.
    Regardless of how a fire started, whether it was theft, mechanical or accidental, the owner is gonna be responsible.

Now, whether or not the insurance crowd will foot the bill is an entirely different manner.......I would imagine they do in the case of a properly insured car being stolen and burned out, but maybe someone with an actual 'experience' in this regard could clarify.

Seems unfair if faced with a bill, but those are the breaks. I mean, if your next door neighbor's empty house had a fire brewing and you made the call fearing for their house, not to mention it endangering your own, would you think its right that you face the bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with a call out charge of say €200 or something, but the above sounds insane.

Apparently they don't charge if there is a fatality. Now that's just going to give people bad ideas.

Y - have to say I find this really worrying . Few years back heard terrible screaming late at night ; looked out the window & the house down the way an inferno : family out the attic window screaming.
    rang the fire brigade instantly.

Last year watched plonker neighbour of my parents try to cut open an oil tank hoisted onto his roof with a chainsaw ( yes!) he and the tank exploded into flames ; him rolling in the roof with chainsaw trying to put flames on jacket out while oil tank kept burning to 30ft & fanning electricity cable ; hysterical screaming argument ensued over calling the fire brigade because of the charge. ( we called after about 1 minute of hysterical financial what iffs). ( note the row was between my mother & I -she didn't want the e1000 fee & said his wife would call - while I said he was working alone & we had no way of knowing she was in). I was upstairs watching this unfold shouting down at her to use their house phone & call. She did call.

Whatever about cars that are covered by insurance this call out fee certainly stopped me from ringing instantly. I would never have felt that i would have needed to ask permission in someone elses house or to hesitate before. I have no doubt that this will be the consequence for others too in " real" ( fire) situations. Having watched a neighbours house turn into a fireball in front of my eyes within an unspeakable 3 or 4 minutes; I have no doubt that this new tax will cost lives.

( send the bill to your insurance company - that's what it's there for. )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think its very steep too.

I heard a few stories bout people ringing the fire brigade say they had a fire and the fire brigade telling them it will cost 500e the home owner said they'll put it out themselves.

Also heard a guy say he thinks the house next door is on fire, the fire brigade told him to knock in and ask them to ring.

As something as serious as a fire I think it should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Free services get abused. A certain level of personal responsibility is required.

And it isn't as if they ask for the money before dealing with the fire.
    i know if my car is on fire in the future ill be letting it burn, wont be ringing for a 500 quid bill.
    And if your car is next to your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ok not sure where to put this so AH it is.

for a brief back story; her indoors had her car stolen a few weeks back, predictably it ended up burned out. when i rang the emergency services for a fire brigade they told me that someone had called already and one was on the way. they came, fire out, job done.

back to the present; today she received a letter in the post billing her for 500 euro for the above service. i had heard this kind of system was being introduced for people who rang the fire service, but didnt think think it was already in place.
    how can she get billed when she did not ring for the service? if they contact me, yes i did ring them but as i mentioned they had already received a call and it was that call that brought them out. for starters she wont be paying this bill and i certainly wont either. has anyone else experienced one of these letters and what did they do about it. on a side note wont this discourage people from ringing them in future and attempting to tackle fires on their own....thoughts

I'm a little confused, if the car was stolen how did you know it was on fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I used to work for an old lady whos neighbours called the fire brigade to her house as they thoght they could see the whole house filling with smoke through the windows. Actually it was stream, she was boiling a ham!
    She got a bill for 500, which she had to pay, understandibly she was raging over it.

• Advertisement

Last year watched plonker neighbour of my parents try to cut open an oil tank hoisted onto his roof with a chainsaw ( yes!) he and the tank exploded into flames ; him rolling in the roof with chainsaw trying to put flames on jacket out while oil tank kept burning to 30ft & fanning electricity cable ; hysterical screaming argument ensued over calling the fire brigade because of the charge.

More info on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

OP there's generally some cover on your household insurance policy for fire brigade charges, albeit with a limit on what they pay.

I don't understand why people are expecting those in the emergency services to do their jobs for no pay. None of the rest of us would work for nothing, why should they?

They do jobs most of us would balk at, why should they not be paid accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

We Had a small fire in work before Christmas. One exterior room about 16^2 ft not too much damage. €6000 for the fire brigade.

In fairness there was five units on site within a matter of minutes and the fire was out within an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

OP there's generally some cover on your household insurance policy for fire brigade charges, albeit with a limit on what they pay.

I don't understand why people are expecting those in the emergency services to do their jobs for no pay. None of the rest of us would work for nothing, why should they?

I don't think anyone's expecting that. The emergency services are paid from our taxes. Of course, they aren't paid as much as those gobsh¡tes in government or the other gobsh¡tes in banking. Maybe that's the real problem here; the wrong people are getting our tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BTW, its no different abroad in many cases.
    If you have a ski accident in the mountains and you need to be rescued you'll get a bill in the post a while later from the mountain rescue.
    And if theres a helicopter involved (regardless of whether you asked for it or not) it'll be a really saucy bill

Normal Ambulances also bill per incident. Cant say about fire services BUT on the continent (and USA?) their provision is covered by your local taxes paid to your city so it sorta depends on whether you pay enough local taxes as to whether the cost is passed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The car was robbed and burnt out. Unless the owner was negligent in leaving the keys in the ignition what more could they have done to prevent said robbery? On that basis if the car was involved in an accident or robbery the car owner would be responsible.

The fire service should be included in the property tax. How is it free then? People wasting the emergency services should be dealt with severely but why punish those who legitimately require it.

Have to say alittle tired of all of this "free services" nonsense. It's all paid for through general taxation.
    Victor wrote: »
    Free services get abused. A certain level of personal responsibility is required.

And it isn't as if they ask for the money before dealing with the fire.

And if your car is next to your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The emergency services don't get paid? Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if your water tank burst would you expect a plumber not to charge you for an emergency call out?

No . you'd get your Insurance to pay for him.

If Fire calls were free, then instead of paying "enough" tax, we'd all be paying a little bit more for a service we might never use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

I heard before that If you contact the Gardai about a fire, they would be obligated to ring the fire brigade and there would be no charge for the houseowner as a result...does anyone know if theres any truth to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I'm a little confused, if the car was stolen how did you know it was on fire?

Yes, I'm not understanding this. Plus I'm not understanding the fact that you were calling the Fire Brigade anyway. Someone else got there before you but you only knew this after you rang. Did you or did you not want the car fire to be put out?

I'm nearly sure the charge is levied on the person who receives the service and not the caller. Most county councils list the charges on their websites. There was problems last year with collecting these call out fees so I don't know if this has improved in anyway since.

Advertisement