Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Australia all it's cracked up to be?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Living abroad anywhere, is really going to be god for you. I worked in Sydney for 2 years, in a professional role ahem, i was offerred the job before i went over, i.e. i went over for this job!!!

Came by people just out of university who could not find good jobs and were scraping by doing labouring/bar work etc, some bitched, some were happy enough, each to their own, but just to make you aware there aint an abundance of decent jobs available to backpackers on limited work visa restrictions.
    City life in OZ is good, i am a city boy being from inner central Dublin, i was on a very good wage in OZ with an apartment paid for by my company, so obviously i lived pretty well.
    We travelled up the east coast for a month at the end of our time in OZ, was ok, met some cool people, which was good but it got a bit tiring towards the end, felt like one big tourst trail, highlights were: diving the reef, walking on whitsunday beach (the rest of the boat trip bored us though), doing a few trips up to daintree and cape tribulation, some nice beaches around, was interesting but once was enough, perhaps hiring a car would be much better :)
    Thought Brisbane/surfers was a kip and boring. Melbourne was cool, would of liked to live there for a while. Cairns was fun for a few days. Never made it to the rock or camped under the stars in the centre of oz aka the rock, which we would of liked but it was just to much hassle getting there, we had enough of the tourist trail at the time, perhaps a small regret.

OZ is good, i don't agree with going over, scraping by and getting pissed for the year but each to their own!
    Nice womenz about too, nice weather, ozzies are ok, bang on for the most part, bit hot headed and somewhat stupid at times but some Irish inherit this trait over there too!!

If i had a wad of cash and was younger, i would travel around SE Asian for as long as possible, beautiful weather, happy people(yet poor - not all of em) and amazingly interesting, plus there are gems of paradise everywhere, particularly the islands in southern thailand, vietnam, cambodia, burma - amazing places.

Whatever you do, enjoy, the sense of freedom is liberating!!

Thats a pretty good account of Oz, I lived in the Gold coast/coolangatta, then Newcastle for 6 months, which was ok but a bit too country,at that stage I had such a bad impression of Oz that it was hard to change..then I went to Perth for 6 months and enjoyed it.

Then the chance came to work in a good job in Asia so I grabbed it with both hands..I now live in Hong Kong, and while its not perfect like anywhere, I still enjoy it more than I did Oz.. My advice to anyone would be not to limit themselves to Australia, but each to their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

Bear in mind, It will cost you a lot more to get home to see Mammy from Auzzi than it will from the UK. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I taught it was bland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

A cousin and his family emigrated last year, getting on well by all accounts.

For their send off party, my brother and I did a skit where he came as
    an Ozzy immigration official sent to interview them to see if they were ready.

He was a cross between an outback farmer - the corks on the hat, cargo shorts,
    the boots with big woolly socks, and a government bureaucrat with an ID badge and
    clipboard. It was very funny.

While looking for an Austrailian map for his ID badge I found this:

Foff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Oops! Wrong thread. Move along, nothing to see here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 fishfarmer

She never mentioned what part of the UK?

I've been in the Scottish Highlands for the past 4 years and planning on staying for another two atleast.
    Its great here. Australia doesn't appeal to me, too hot, too many things that can kill you.

Here I have a great lifestyle, I like the cold winters and the snow and summers here are actually nicer than Irish ones! And every **** has been to Australia, be different go live in the Shetlands or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 BatigolStatue

I am from a small place in the west of ireland. About 50-100 young people from my locality have gone, mostly to Sydney and Melbourne. From what i hear all they do is drink together. In large groups. Depresses me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I am from a small place in the west of ireland. About 50-100 young people from my locality have gone, mostly to Sydney and Melbourne. From what i hear all they do is drink together. In large groups. Depresses me

im sure the people in your locality are working too fund there drinking.they are better going to oz than sitting here on the dole. I had a brilliant time in oz. i worked my ass off and there is nothing wrong with going out having drinks after a long week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Oz is a great place, full of completely different sights and experiences (if you bother to venture outside the pub to look for them ;) ), but something I think people can underestimate is the heat. Of course, everyone loves a bit of sun, but two weeks on your holliers in Spain is completely different to trying to live and work in a very hot country. If you're like me with fair Irish skin, prone to prickly heat, and therefore very fond of the shade, it can make it a bit difficult. You have to cover any exposed skin with Factor 50, making you sticky and sandy (Perth is a very sandy city!) and deal with constant sweating, associated chafing, and just feeling very, very warm all of the time. Temperatures can be up to 30degC at NIGHT! Don't underestimate how draining that can be. I know every car, house and public building has AC, but for those times when you're outside, which can be quite a lot in Australia, it's worth bearing in mind.

However, apart from that, I enjoyed the place. It's just SO different in so many ways from Ireland, in terms of landscape, flora and fauna, and the outdoorsy lifestyle that it's definitely worth going, even for a holiday.

Of course, everything is what you make it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I wish Irish people would stop sending money home to Ireland I think they are into criminality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Darkwarriorcok

the too many things that can kill you vibe going on in a few posts is just b****x, you never see hardly any of these things unless you go look for them, which in most cases will be difficult to find.

Travelling is an adventure, embrace the positivity, for the negativity!! Enjoy!

the too many things that can kill you vibe going on in a few posts is just b****x, you never see hardly any of these things unless you go look for them, which in most cases will be difficult to find.

Travelling is an adventure, embrace the positivity, for the negativity!! Enjoy!

I met a lot of people on my travels in India with the hippy carefree, 'live life', free spirit boll1x, I-phones in tow of course...I agree with you to a certain degree but people need to be aware of the 'real' world and its pitfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

fishfarmer wrote: »
    She never mentioned what part of the UK?

I've been in the Scottish Highlands for the past 4 years and planning on staying for another two atleast.
    Its great here. Australia doesn't appeal to me, too hot, too many things that can kill you.

Here I have a great lifestyle, I like the cold winters and the snow and summers here are actually nicer than Irish ones! And every **** has been to Australia, be different go live in the Shetlands or something.
    Scottish summers are not nicer than Irish ones. How dare you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Why am I not suprised? :rolleyes:
    Clad 24/7 in GAA tops as well just to complete the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Why would what these lads are doing depress you?
    Are you that concerned that they're simply working to booze in a different country and not meeting new people??

Unless the fact that your not with them is what's depressing you??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

Go to Oz. If you don't go you'll always wonder what if. If you don't like it then you can come home. It might cost you a bit to get over here but fook it. You only live once. I've had bad times in the last year but the good times definitely out way the bad. There is so much to see here. Its just HUGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Go to Oz. If you don't go you'll always wonder what if. If you don't like it then you can come home. It might cost you a bit to get over here but fook it. You only live once. I've had bad times in the last year but the good times definitely out way the bad. There is so much to see here. Its just HUGH.

Are they all called Hugh?

Must get confusing at times. :pac:

I'll be arriving in Australia in August myself, ill let yes all know if its all its cracked up to be :) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Are they all called Hugh?

Must get confusing at times. :pac:

My Dads name is Hugh.

My name is not Hugh.

Why am I not suprised? :rolleyes:
    Clad 24/7 in GAA tops as well just to complete the picture.

I lived in Dublin 2006-2009, Plenty of aussies, new zealanders and s.africans about the place...all clad in super 14/15 rugby team jerseys, the gaa jersey thing can be a bit cringe i'll admit, and it takes a certain type of person to go to australia and not pal around with their own kind..wearing gaa jerseys can probably alleviate homesickness in a way, other than prancing around sydney pubs saying 'look where I'm from, give me attention' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My anecdotal experience is that people who like Australia tend to be:

- people for whom the weather really matters, i.e. a disappointing summer would genuinely depress them to some extent;
    - people who place high importance on their looks and enjoy the opportunity to flaunt what they have;
    - people who have a fairly straightforward outlook on life;

Why not give it shot? A job in the UK can be got again in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Plenty of positives already discussed here with Australia, the big negative is how little money people actually bring home after living in Australia, I am referring to short / medium term working stints.
    The only exception to this is working in the mines in the Northern Territories here you earn good money but it’s like living in an open prison camp.

The cost of living and the cleverness of the Australian government means that they nearly get all earned money off you before you leave; the cost of living is astronomical basic stuff like rent and clothes are savage dear, Aussie wine is cheaper over here, amazing considering its had to journey from the other side of the world.

I should also add the Australian house market is ripe for a big crash it’s about where Ireland was in 2007, a friend of mine said that they are now giving away cars with apartment blocks in Sydney, you know when that is happening the end is nigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I think you'll find that the majority of people who give out about Australia are those who have never been. The same people will probably complain equally about Ireland but will never get off their arses and see some of the world.

The drinking thing always gets brought into it too. It's like saying don't go to Dublin because Coppers is there.

Australis is a great place. Very, very few people regret going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

australia's economy is starting to level out - watch that space over the next year or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    It is what you make of it.

I'd be inclined to go though. The UK is always on your doorstep here, the opportunity to travel further afield isn't always

I would agree on this. The uk be better option work wise but australia be worth trying for a bit of life experience and travel but maybe short term other option a working holiday there or nz, dubai, canada be worth going to for work in your field.

doovdela wrote: »
    australia be worth trying for a bit of life experience

Meeting up with your Irish Friends and going to the pub. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    It is what you make of it.

I'd be inclined to go though. The UK is always on your doorstep here, the opportunity to travel further afield isn't always

I would agree on this. The uk be a better option work wise where as you get life experience in australia be worth trying to travel there short term or go there for a working holiday. Nz, dubai and canada are other possible options just to go get work and in particular in your field of study/career.

Advertisement