Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Australia all it's cracked up to be?

Options
  • 16-04-2013 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Im trying to decide

Australia for a year

Or a move to the UK for permanent work

What makes more sense? Being sensible and get work in the UK. Or fcek off for a year, come back and then be sensible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Australia lives up to the hype in terms of the variety of ways to die, if that's what you're asking.

I don't think it is, but it should answer your question none-the-less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Go. You can spend time complaining about stuff in the sunshine vs complaining about stuff in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It is what you make of it.

I'd be inclined to go though. The UK is always on your doorstep here, the opportunity to travel further afield isn't always

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Australia has terrible internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Go but make sure you do the tourist stuff. I just worked like a maniac because I'm hungry for money. I lived beside the beach and went only once. I regret that, gonna go back over in a year or two I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Knasher wrote: »
    Australia has terrible internet.

It's abysmal, nearly as bad as dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Im trying to decide

Australia for a year

What makes more sense? Being sensible and get work in the UK. Or fcek off for a year, come back and then be sensible?

Depends on your circumstances
    If you are under 30 no ties no bills etc yes go
    But if you are just lookin to find somewhere you can go to work save money pay off bills etc go to UK

But then again it is worth the trip there as you may never get to go again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

It's fecking brilliant.

My experience of it is it's like Irish college except with actual sex and less rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Have you seen all the fooking beautiful people there?!

I'd be all cracked up there anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Australia is okay the pay is very good but the cost of living is through the roof. you cant beat the good weather. my advice would be go to Melbourne. its the best city in oz with the best public transport system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

You would be complaining about men twice as much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

England is a better country with one of the best cities in the world. Australia is full of Australians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Depends on your age but tbh London is a fantastic city that can offer more than any city in Australia except the weather and outdoor lifestyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If Home and Away is anything to go by, all you have to do is show up in Summer Bay and there'll be plenty of work available. Close to "The City" too but still far enough away for some peace and quiet. Think of it as the Greystones of Australia, but with finer women and hotter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I've never been. I hate their stupid accents and their beef heads, and that's just the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

If Home and Away is anything to go by, all you have to do is show up in Summer Bay and there'll be plenty of work available. Close to "The City" too but still far enough away for some peace and quiet. Think of it as the Greystones of Australia, but with finer women and hotter weather.

That would be perfect. Go working in the diner or the surf club and go riding those braxton men.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

australia would be my first choice everytime. But is it as easy to find work as people say, especially without a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Not Easy

Been there, its great,

Only thing is that its so far from home so its a big call to move permanently. Definitely worth going to travel around though, You`ll eat through money so if your going for a year ...either work alot, or have about 20grand going over!

To live in the nice areas you will pay alot of money, as you would expect. But half hours drive from some sh*thole and you`ll be in paradise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That would be perfect. Go working in the diner or the surf club and go riding those braxton men.

Not if I get there first you won't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I have to say never been but with todays sunshine you may as well be in Oz.
    Walked around and met all the neighbours and got all the gossip who split from who, who bought new cars and who can actually afford them and the couple who live in the social housing scheme well their 15 year old just got pregnant. That makes them grandparents at 31 and they plan to live in the house all together that will be 4 parents and 8 childs.
    Id stay put.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I'm sure it has pros and cons. One massive pro - DECENT WEATHER. It'd be nice to have a year of that.

Do have a job offer in the UK, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Im trying to decide

Australia for a year

You're leaving me? :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Meh, spent 18 months there OP parts are good parts are bad. Some really beautiful places but I wouldn't be pushed on going back. Also, everything can kill you!

Go for the craic and be sensible in a year. Do you the world of good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just bear in mind that the Working Holiday Visa only goes up to when you're 30 years old.

So once you're 31, you can't move to Australia unless you have a particular skill that's on the Immigration Skills Shortage List.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I'm sure it has pros and cons. One massive pro - DECENT WEATHER. It'd be nice to have a year of that.

Do have a job offer in the UK, OP?

Not yet. But there's loads of work. Pay not so good, but used to budgeting. Some jobs are advertised with accommodation provided, that'll set me up.
    Been putting the UK off, as the pay can be crap. But im bored. So seriously thinking of it. I almost have my bags packed, im that bored. Also been putting it off as its pointless going over and on to oz in july. I dont have the flights booked yet. But then I could be back home again in september if oz doesnt work out.

I cant decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Don't ask here, op. Everyone is really bitter and hates people who go to Australia for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Don't ask here, op. Everyone is really bitter and hates people who go to Australia for some reason.
    The comments so far have been overwhelmingly positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I never understood why Australia seems to be the mecca for "finding yourself" and "its the making of you". I mean, there are plenty of places in the world you can go to where it is hot, there is work available and you get to meet lots of new people. Presumably an advantage of Australia is you can expand your social skills and have some fun and it gives you a clear outlook on life, with a pleasing background of sunshine and beaches and unspoiled landscape but why does it have to be Australia. I have no desire to ever go there and im in my late 20s and I dont feel im missing out at all. Yet theres a stigma to admitting this, almost as if its a sin to not want to go there.

If you want to see the place I can understand that but whats wrong with a year out in Europe, Canada, America or New Zealend (finances allowing!). Skills can be learned anywhere, not exclusively Australia and the way some of the Irish have sullied our name with their scummy antics in Australia I would be looking to distance myself. Dont get all the fuss personally :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

A friend of mine was there for a year. Apparently, they cal yokes Ekkies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Never appealed, am sure its lovely but its like the entire continent wants to kill you, there's far too many "most dangerous/poisonous/bitey/stabby/burrows into your brain to lay babies" ever things there for my liking.

Advertisement