Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Pregnant Woman murder-suicide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tragic indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

The fathers comments made me cry, absolutely tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We need a doom and gloom sub forum...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Committing suicide, that I can understand, but killing her children in the process when they had a father, that's just unthinkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

smash wrote: »
    We need a doom and gloom sub forum...

think this is the nearest we have smash
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056915156

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Perhaps she was suffering from pregnancy-related psychosis? I remember hearing of it when that poor lady killed herself last year when she was pregnant with twins.

So sad that neither of them got the help they so sorely needed (although I'm not blaming anyone). The poor father, his world has collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

returnNull wrote: »
    think this is the nearest we have smash
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056915156

I think there's an RIP forum or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Aweful story, heart has to go out to the father.

Why they had to tabloid it up by calling them "tots" I'll never understand. WTF is a "tot"? They're children ffs

Mod

Smash, if you don't want to post here, then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Perhaps she was suffering from pregnancy-related psychosis? I remember hearing of it when that poor lady killed herself last year when she was pregnant with twins.

So sad that neither of them got the help they so sorely needed (although I'm not blaming anyone). The poor father, his world has collapsed.

Having three babies in such quick succession, with all those hormones, the stress, the sleepless nights etc. and then being pregnant again while your partner leaves and you realise you'll be a single parent with four small children and a bad case of post-natal depression on top - recipe for tragedy.

Such a terribly sad situation for everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What a disgusting thing to do. It's impossible to have sympathy for someone who does that to their kids. There was absolutely no need to end their lives because she was depressed. Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Having three babies in such quick succession, with all those hormones, the stress, the sleepless nights etc. and then being pregnant again while your partner leaves and you realise you'll be a single parent with four small children and a bad case of post-natal depression on top - recipe for tragedy.

Such a terribly sad situation for everyone involved.

I was thinking that too. Pregnancy isn't easy and you can't underestimate the effect pregnancy hormones can have on your brain, never mind adding all the other factors in. Very sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Why is this thread allowed to stay open when the threads on the father down in Cork who killed his daughter and himself were closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

This thread reminds me of the story in AH a few weeks back of the muggers who shot a mothers baby because she hadn't any cash on her. Something about very young children being killed gets to me.

Rest in peace and best wishes to the Dad, unimaginable situation.

Why is this thread allowed to stay open when the threads on the father down in Cork who killed his daughter and himself were closed?

Mod

If you have a query on moderation either PM the mods or take it to feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

What a disgusting thing to do. It's impossible to have sympathy for someone who does that to their kids. There was absolutely no need to end their lives because she was depressed. Sickening.

Nobodies pretending she was innocent, but she clearly wasn't well at all.

How ill do you think she was to go against literally every maternal instinct in her body? It's not the actions of a well person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Depression is an illness that can leave the person with an altered way of looking at things.
    She obviously felt her life had no hope.
    She knew she could not keep going.
    For reasons you, I, and most other people will never understand, she felt the only way she could take care of her kids has to take them with her.
    The way she looked at it, she truly believed she was doing the right thing.

It is horribly tragic and I cannot even imagine the suffering of her family and of the kids father and his family.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lisha wrote: »
    Depression is an illness that can leave the person with an altered way of looking at things.
    She obviously felt her life had no hope.
    She knew she could not keep going.
    For reasons you, I, and most other people will never understand, she felt the only way she could take care of her kids has to take them with her.
    The way she looked at it, she truly believed she was doing the right thing.

I don't care if that's what she believes, it doesn't give it any justification for killing innocent people. She's just as bad as any other murderer in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

So tragic. She must have been in an awful way to go through with doing that to her children and herself. She was a beautiful young woman, with beautiful young children. Between this and those poor people in Boston, I've a sad today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Sigh. Who on earth would say it's "justified"...?

Improved mental health services and those kids might still be here. Although it's easy for me to say that when I don't work in the implementation of mental health services.
    Just because people are saying a mental breakdown caused this (which it very much looks like) though, doesn't mean they're saying it's somehow less horrible and cruel of her, and are going soft on her. Cause identification isn't excuse.
    Jesus Christ their poor dad... :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't care if that's what she believes, it doesn't give it any justification for killing innocent people. She's just as bad as any other murderer in my eyes.

Unless you've been through the utter hell of chronic depression, you can't even begin to understand how it changes someone's perception of life and death.

Nobody is justifying the murder of innocent children - it's an abominable thing to do - but she must have been completely out of her mind to commit such a desperate act. Killing your children and then throwing yourself from a building isn't something any sane, rational mother would do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Madam_X wrote: »
    Sigh. Who on earth would say it's "justified"...?

Improved mental health services and those kids might still be here. Although it's easy for me to say that when I don't work in the implementation of mental health services.
    Just because people are saying a mental breakdown caused this (which it very much looks like) though, doesn't mean they're saying it's somehow less horrible and cruel of her, and are going soft on her. Cause identification isn't excuse.
    Jesus Christ their poor dad... :-/

The sad fact of the matter concerning mental health is, you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink nor can you force a young mother into services she doesn't want through her own clouded thinking. It's tragic that 3 children and an unborn child died, but improved services is only one key factor in a whole list of what's needed to prevent suicide and a tragic event like this happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Itzy wrote: »
    The sad fact of the matter concerning mental health is, you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink nor can you force a young mother into services she doesn't want through her own clouded thinking. It's tragic that 3 children and an unborn child died, but improved services is only one key factor in a whole list of what's needed to prevent suicide and a tragic event like this happening again.
    I doubt it has much to do with not wanting to get help. Depression comes with many other issues, and if the person is severely depressed the level of despair is what clouds judgement. I don't think it's an active choice not to get help, it's not even on the radar for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

This case acts as a warning to us all, to act immediately if a friend or loved one threatens suicide or harm to others.

Catphish wrote: »
    I doubt it has much to do with not wanting to get help. Depression comes with many other issues, and if the person is severely depressed the level of despair is what clouds judgement. I don't think it's an active choice not to get help, it's not even on the radar for some.

That's clarified my own thinking on the article and her actions.
    bhamsteve wrote: »
    This case acts as a warning to us all, to act immediately if a friend or loved one threatens suicide or harm to others.

That was my initial thought when I seen she had sent messages. It's hard to know if any of her friends had seen the warning and tried to act on it in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Itzy wrote: »
    That's clarified my own thinking on the article and her actions.

That was my initial thought when I seen she had sent messages. It's hard to know if any of her friends had seen the warning and tried to act on it in time.

There's no way to know, and it would be unfair to try and apportion blame, but a warning it is. One phone call to the police last night and we wouldn't be reading about this today.

Just to the other point, under the Mental Health Act you can force a young mother into treatment/custody if it is deemed necessary for her safety or the safety of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you want to end your life do it alone

murdering innocent children disgusts me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

RIP... tragic beyond words.. my heart goes out to the family

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I think she was an incredibly spiteful person, I have so much sympathy for people that commit suicide etc, But you do not drag innocent young children into it, lots of people have mental problems, but you dont see them murdering their children, surely at first thought of killing them she would of said to herself ''I need help'' , How could you look into 3 beautiful little childrens faces and decide to kill them?. I think in her mind it was'' if he cant have me, he's not having the kids either, this will make him sorry etc etc'' There is absolutely no excuse for murdering children and taking away their future from them because you cant go on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lots of people have mental problems, but you dont see them murdering their children

Do you think this has never happened before or something? :confused:

It's happened lots of times in the past and it will continue to happen.
    surely at first thought of killing them she would of said to herself ''I need help'' , How could you look into 3 beautiful little childrens faces and decide to kill them?.

Yeah, because insane people always think rationally.
    I think in her mind it was'' if he cant have me, he's not having the kids either, this will make him sorry etc etc''

You don't know shít.

Advertisement