Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helix [SyFy - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Goddamnit, I got it into my head this was a 10-episode series, thinking this week's was the last; turns out there are three more. Urrggghhh.

I wouldn't mind but things have got more interesting with everything happening to Dr. Walker (to be fair, the scenes this week set below the abandoned station were very well done), yet the show continues to force Farragut as the central character, which he clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

With so much still unanswered and only three eps left...not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Renewed for 2nd series ... http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=116569

Season 1 finale tonight.

It's gotten stranger and stranger over the last few weeks - immortality, teenage assassins, long lost children, underground cabins.... looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up for season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

I hope they up the ante next season. This one seems a bit too long. It's ok though but I really thought it would have just made a great 1 season show. Looking forward to being proved wrong!

Very good finale. A few big cliffhangers, and a nice twist half way through.

The look ahead at 200+ days after Antarctica was a nice touch, but the base was almost a character of its own. I'm not sure what the show will be like in the 'real world'.

• Advertisement

Once I finish with Sleep Cell I'll be jumping into this. Tried the whole watch TV as it aired but the way Supernatural is airing has put me right off the traditional way. I don't mind it with something procedural or a comedy but watching a 22 episode story stretched across 36 weeks is annoying as hell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched the last 3 episodes in a row, just to get things over and done with... ergh. What a slog. I frequently defended this series throughout its run but that last quarter or so was pitiful beyond belief. To the extent that I feel I wasted my time on the whole thing.

I'll be honest, if I knew this show was going to turn into a po-faced conspiracy tale of immortals and baby-faced assassins, I never would have started in the first place; I tuned in at the beginning because I genuinely thought the concept showed great, simple potential. A well-crafted and tense 'base under siege' story, combined with the automatic high-stakes and paranoia you get from a gruesome epidemic, could have easily entertained for 13 episodes on its own merit; the 'day X' format even suggested the show might take its queues from 24. You didn't need immortals or virus cults or any of that nonsense: the concept was entirely self-sustaining.

It was a brilliant setup, so how did they go off reservation so badly? The latter half of Helix was grade-A horsesh*t, and not even particularly entertaining or cheesy horsesh*t at that. That last scene, day 235, was just a pathetic attempt to shoehorn in a cliffhanger, flying in the face of everything previous to it, presumably due to the fact the show got a renewal.

Safe to say, I won't be back. Especially if Billy Campbell continues to be the enforced lead. A consistent bugbear throughout the series has been how obvious it was Dr. Walker and Hiroshi were the true lead characters in this, particularly once the immortal plotline kicked in, but no; because American TV demands the lead be a white alpha-male, the utterly humourless, charmless, personality vacuum that was Farragut got in the way of everything. In fact his chest-thumping theatrics actively put people in danger and made him a borderline sleeper agent for Ilaria really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What the hell happened to the acting and production quality in the last 2 episodes. That scene in the finale with the snowmobiles and the rocks was like a public access show.

The acting has been ok throughout, with the exception of Campbell who has been horrific throughout.

Full trailer for season 2, back January 16th.

Not sure how I feel about this. The base in season 1 was almost a character in itself. Moving it to 'generic jungle island' doesn't fill me with excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Looks great. That line from season 1 "You have your fathers eye's" cracks me up every time I think about it. Very enjoyable nonsense.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this show, despite adding some rants during the first season's run.

Going by the trailer it looks like the show is aiming for a form of soft reboot, there's certainly no mention of any of the conspiracy bullsh*t that drowned the first season, but honestly it'd take some stellar reviews to make me go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 starts tonight US time early morning our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Sweet!

That was excellent! All my misgivings about the season 2 trailers are gone. This is not so much 'generic jungle island' - it's more like Resident Evil 4 (gamers will know that's a GOOD thing!). :)

The
    Day 10951
    stuff threw me for a loop. Goes a long way towards setting expectations for the season.

Really looking forward to this season now.

.... aaaaaaaand 12 weeks later it's finished. It was a great season with lots of twists and turns, but the finale was massively underwhelming. No massive payoff on the Day 10,000 stuff. All villains survived (probably) and the big twists at the end were someone with new immortality and someone working where they shouldn't be (both already done at the end of season 1....)

Curious to see where (and when) Season 3 will be set - I assume the present day and 2029.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm just having trouble getting into this. Last season was so meh that I haven't even been able to get through the first episode. There is so much other good stuff on at the moment, I'm not sure about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched about 5 episodes of the second season just simply had to give it up. Not enough time to get through the other great stuff out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

season 2 will start to pick up from episode 7, much better than season 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

mafaa wrote: »
    season 2 will start to pick up from episode 7, much better than season 1 :)

I think that's where i stopped watching it, it was getting a bit confusing with all the time lapses, & it was one show i wasn't rushing to watch only when i had the free time, but time ran out for this show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I thought Season 2 was much better than Season 1 but the last episode was a bit meh

I think that's where i stopped watching it, it was getting a bit confusing with all the time lapses, & it was one show i wasn't rushing to watch only when i had the free time, but time ran out for this show!
    it worth to continue if your timing permits, then again, it is not a must watch type :)
    gazzer wrote: »
    I thought Season 2 was much better than Season 1 but the last episode was a bit meh
    second that but find the finale quite satisfying, now is whether will there be season 3 since rating is not too encouraging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Mr E wrote: »

Ah balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sad panda :(

the problem is the season 2 only pick up from episode 7, some ppl just watched a few episodes & compared to season 1 then straight away concluded that it was a messy, confusing & lousy season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

****! Gutted now, though I have to say that season 2 was absolute crap until about episode 7 or 8, by which time I was even asking myself - how many people would stay tuned this long? Shame. Really enjoyed Season 2 towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Spike UK will show season 2 (final season)

Advertisement