Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helix [SyFy - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 was very enjoyable, and like any competent thriller it escalated the stakes & threat while throwing some extra minor mysteries into the pot. I'm definitely on-board with this show and look forward to seeing how things pan out.

It still lacks a certain spark, and I think that's down to the characters. They're too thin and the only texture so far is a tedious romantic quadrangle that demeans to the two (invariably attractive) female leads. And while it's cute to withhold motivations from the audience for the sake of a mystery, when the others' defining characteristic is that they're hiding something, it's a poor substitute for depth.

Oh and side-note: the avclub review made a funny point about the blonde scientist - for anyone who watches Archer, she's basically a live-action Pam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

pixelburp wrote: »
    ...competent thriller...

Can't believe you'd compare this thing to a competent thriller, it's entirely and completely daft.

Episode three for me was no improvement, it just compounded all the problems of the pilot. The bit where
    the satellite was blown up causing the internal communications to fail was the final straw
    . I won't be sticking around for more, even with the prospect of Seven of Nine in the coming episodes (and I'm not generally one for complaining about how stupid a show can be).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't believe you'd compare this thing to a competent thriller, it's entirely and completely daft.

Episode three for me was no improvement, it just compounded all the problems of the pilot. The bit where
    the satellite was blown up causing the internal communications to fail was the final straw
    . I won't be sticking around for more, even with the prospect of Seven of Nine in the coming episodes (and I'm not generally one for complaining about how stupid a show can be).

In the sense that they're maintaining the impetus and pacing, yes, I'd call it a competent thriller. I've watched many a series where the pilot has had all the energy, drive and mystery, only for things to grind to a halt by episodes 2/3 and beyond. To be fair, this show hasn't slammed on the brakes just yet.

As for the satellite dish thing, seemed like a poor excuse to keep the two leads in the dark that little bit longer, but I don't think its the show's larger crime really. I'm sure virologists and chemists are jumping up and down about the science's depiction mind you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

+1.....i think its woeful stuff, a tv show pretending or trying to be something it isint. The opening theme music sums up how much of a joke this show is.

Anyone with a PS3 or 4 and a US account set up (takes all of a few minutes) can download the first episode in HD for free. Best if all is the fact that a lot of networks are now looking at streaming and downloading figures when considering renewals so you can do your little to help the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just watched episode 4 there. I have to say, it's the sort of show that just when I feel like I'm about to give up on it, it hooks me with an indescribable something that keeps me interested, however mildly, in the following episode.

It's not overly clever, or well scripted, or even even acted; the characters are a bit rubbish, the production values are questionable; but, somehow, I find myself looking forward to the next episode...sort of.

Still watching, still interested. We'll see where it goes.

It keeps throwing mystery on top of mystery, which helps keep things cooking over. Of course, sooner or later you have to start tying things together, which is where it might all fall apart. The reveal about Walker was pretty intriguing. Just wish they'd sort out the characters; the fact all the morally compromised characters are basically the only non-white members of the cast also seems just a little too uncomfortable. As you say, it's far from perfect but has enough steam to keep a person watching for now

I think its dreck..... i am giving it one more before i watch Gold Rush on fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Brain candy, I enjoyed the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I watched half of the newest episode before I got bored and wandered off. Doubt I'll return to it. Pity as I thought there was promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

Last ep was weak to be honest,I'll stay with it 4 another while.Cant see how they will get a 2nd season out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

There's enough in it to keep me going for a while, as something about it as pixelburp said about piling on the mysteries just to find out more on it, but wonder will it be sorted out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I'm out after 5 eps. I gave it a good chance but time to call a spade a spade. Really disappointing to see a legend like Moore associated with this garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Weakest episode yet. I'm losing faith in the show, but next week's injection of fresh characters might give it a kickstart.

Yup, another mystery is thrown onto the fire, gah; maybe with the new characters a more convincing character dynamic will establish itself. I realise I'm coming back mainly for the mystery and premise; it sure as hell ain't for the characters. Alan & Sarah are such awful, dull, pious leads the show falls apart when they're around. Killing
    Doreen
    off was a huge mistake, the show lost one of its brighter character sparks

Yeah why did they kill
    Doreen, the only fun character there!
    off, the new characters have to give it a go, for a last min reprieve as the same happened to Defiance in which it put me off the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

This has been struggling on Channel 5 losing half its viewers since the pilot (dropping to 500k).

The channel is putting it on Hiatus and bringing it back later in the year on 5*.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/02/channel-5-moves-helix-sister-channel-5/

brian_t wrote: »
    This has been struggling on Channel 5 losing half its viewers since the pilot (dropping to 500k).

The channel is putting it on Hiatus and bringing it back later in the year on 5*.

^ same on SyFy.....show is 13 and done. I see Jeri Ryan/7 Of 9 is on the show......:)

brian_t wrote: »

When i saw in the listings that it got moved to midnite & got bumped for Can't Stop, Won't Stop Hoarding & Car Crime UK, is a bad sign all right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I haven't started watching this, but as a general question, when ye hear of a new show on Syfy, do ye go in to it neutral, expecting it to be good, expecting it to be crap, or what? I can't bring myself to have much expectations for anything from Syfy personally. I don't have a very positive opinion on them generally.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I haven't started watching this, but as a general question, when ye hear of a new show on Syfy, do ye go in to it neutral, expecting it to be good, expecting it to be crap, or what? I can't bring myself to have much expectations for anything from Syfy personally. I don't have a very positive opinion on them generally.

Well just hope for the best on the new shows on syfy, as a lot of expectations were on Ronald D Moore to see if this show would turn out good, although i came late to his last show Caprica, the BSG prequel afaik, but got canned later on.

The only good show that's on syfy at the moment is Continuum, as its kept the momentum going at the moment, as i watched Defiance, but sadly got bored of it.

Pushtrak wrote: »

As a rule i am overall Meh on Syfy shows....until proven otherwise or i hear good things. The only decent shows they have are Canadian imports, and Haven/Being human.

I am not encourage with the upcoming syfy shows either......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

The only good show that's on syfy at the moment is Continuum, as its kept the momentum going at the moment, as i watched Defiance, but sadly got bored of it.
    haha continuum isnt even a syfy show, its a canadian show, for myself haven is the best show on syfy these days, defiance was a massive missed opportunity,

so whats the general opinion of Helix anyway, i watched the first 2 episodes, and the others are burning a hole on my HD, is it worth sticking with it,

don ramo wrote: »
    [...]

so whats the general opinion of Helix anyway, i watched the first 2 episodes, and the others are burning a hole on my HD, is it worth sticking with it,

'wasted opportunity' is how I'd describe it; it has an interesting premise but its plotting is based on the idea of withholding information from the audience while throwing new mysteries into the mix as it goes along, just so it can keep the viewer wrong-footed. So even now, by episode 8, it's unclear what's going on.

Its biggest fault however is in the characters, most of whom are fairly bland and just vessels to advance the mysteriousness. Its leads demonstrate the worst kind of alpha-male / love-triangle bullsh*t that corrupts American scriptwriting too; I can forgive poor plotting if the characters are fun, charismatic or compelling but none are.

I'm sticking with it to the end just to see what the big mystery is all about, but if there's to be a second season I'd be slow to watch; the show needs 100cc of personality. Stat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pixelburp wrote: »
    'wasted opportunity' is how I'd describe it; it has an interesting premise but its plotting is based on the idea of withholding information from the audience while throwing new mysteries into the mix as it goes along, just so it can keep the viewer wrong-footed. So even now, by episode 8, it's unclear what's going on.

Its biggest fault however is in the characters, most of whom are fairly bland and just vessels to advance the mysteriousness. Its leads demonstrate the worst kind of alpha-male / love-triangle bullsh*t that corrupts American scriptwriting too; I can forgive poor plotting if the characters are fun, charismatic or compelling but none are.

I'm sticking with it to the end just to see what the big mystery is all about, but if there's to be a second season I'd be slow to watch; the show needs 100cc of personality. Stat. :)

all i need to know, ill be deleting it so, not really interested in adding more mediocre blandness to my schedule, enough of that has gathered over the years,

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

episode 9
    peter becomes vectors leader as against 2 parties - cdc / Hataki & the project big boss but the big boss wants an antidote & to kill everyone when antidote is concocted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As I've said before it's not TV's strongest contender, but it does enough with regards throwing mysteries at you and teasing you with partial answers to continuously draw your attention just when you're on the verge of giving up.

With Ep9, I feel it's finally coming to some sort of head.

Not brilliant, and to someone who has yet to watch I'm quite sure I wouldn't recommend it, but for those who've persisted throughout, it is beginning to show signs of a pay off.

Entertaining fluff overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's... Just... So... Boring...

don ramo wrote: »
    haha continuum isnt even a syfy show, its a canadian show, for myself haven is the best show on syfy these days, defiance was a massive missed opportunity,

Yeah you'd forget it's another company like showcase that has that show, as you see it on syfy & it's due back quicker than i thought on the 16th & syfy will probably have it in May?

The best part of that ep of Helix was when Hatagi turned around to Julia & say
    "You have your father's eyes" made me laugh & reminded me of another show like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

wonder if
    she stole the virus Narvik A & B for bargain ?

Advertisement