Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those hijacking the Boston Thread about Iraq bomb blast please post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah but they are brown and different.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Any opinion yourself, OP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd hazard a guess that he's against the murdering of innocent civilians. Just a hunch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It would certainly help alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I think it's sad what happened in Iraq but it has been a war zone for around 10 years now so any bombings that happen there do not surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Very sad. On a side note, the Op in the other thread has just as much of an opinion outlined...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Unfortunately if it happens all the time in Iraq we can no longer put so much thought into every attack. The emphasis on what happens in Boston is nothing to do with sympathy, the colour of people's skin or anything else.

Its more the shock factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Comparing the media reaction to both events is valid, but using that as an excuse to adopt an overly cynical stance on the events in Boston isn't, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Yeah but they are brown and different.

Cynical, but probably slightly true.

Boston is much closer to us spiritually (how many films are based in Iraq that you've watched?)

I think the attack in Boston makes us feel vulnerable, and is terrorism in that it affects us, and makes us feel scared.

In Iraq we can dismiss any suicide bombs because it is essentially infighting, they are unlikely to attack Ireland as a symbol of Western Imperialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Comparing the media reaction to both events is valid, but using that as an excuse to adopt an overly cynical stance on the events in Boston isn't, imo.

That's a very balanced and well considered view :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Ronan my point in posting the Iraq news link was to show things a little more in perspective. What happened in Boston was two very minor explosions. Smaller than Norway and Oklahoma bombs. Smaller than grenades I would say. Probably more people shot in Massachusetts every week over drug debts. I would guess almost certainly caused by INTERNAL (ie. American) political motivations. I'll be very surprised if they turn out to be al-Qa'ida. Bombs of this magnitude can be made by anyone with a bit of know how.

But yet the media goes absolutely hysterical. They'll analyse and repeat and analyse and repeat and repeat some more and blow it as big and sensational as they can. People on social sites including Boards.ie get all caught up in the hype and go hysterical too. I think it's shameful that people are so appalled and outraged by a bomb in America - but don't seem to bat an eye lid at far more devastating bombing happening every day of the week in other parts of the world. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cliste wrote: »
    I think the attack in Boston makes us feel vulnerable, and is terrorism in that it affects us, and makes us feel scared.
    Exactly, from our "western" perspective, bombs going off in Iraq ("etc") is not terrorism, its some domestic problem there. Its not meant to be "terrorism" aimed at us and obviously it isnt interpreted by us as such. And therefore it doesnt impact or effectively "matter" to us, largely at all.

Emotionalise and be sad for the death of innocents for sure, but ultimately our lives will continue exactly the same while terror attacks in our "world" do affect us (or at least are designed to). Is it bad to differentiate..? Maybe, but its logical.

The "lets compare death tolls then feign outrage at lack of equivalent media coverage" however, I find illogical and distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's also the fact that socially and politically we're a lot closer to Boston than Baghdad. I've personally been to Boston, I have friends living there. There is a far greater chance of someone I know or even myself being caught up in such an event in a western city. Such events are also very uncommon in comparison to Iraq were it's is almost expected and this adds to the shock.

I have every sympathy for victims of violence all over the world, but my level of concern will multiply the closer to home it happens. That is only natural and anyone who doesn't feel the same is deluded or lying.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The "lets compare death tolls then feign outrage at lack of equivalent media coverage" however, I find illogical and distasteful.

In fact I would go as far to compare death tolls then feign even more outrage at lack of equivalent media coverage...

OP where were you for all the other suicide bombs in Iraq this month???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/06/iraq-suicide-bomber-political-rally.html

:mad:

Scotty # wrote: »
    Ronan my point in posting the Iraq news link was to show things a little more in perspective. What happened in Boston was two very minor explosions. Smaller than Norway and Oklahoma bombs. Smaller than grenades I would say. Probably more people shot in Massachusetts every week over drug debts. I would guess almost certainly caused by INTERNAL (ie. American) political motivations. I'll be very surprised if they turn out to be al-Qa'ida. Bombs of this magnitude can be made by anyone with a bit of know how.

But yet the media goes absolutely hysterical. They'll analyse and repeat and analyse and repeat and repeat some more and blow it as big and sensational as they can. People on social sites including Boards.ie get all caught up in the hype and go hysterical too. I think it's shameful that people are so appalled and outraged by a bomb in America - but don't seem to bat an eye lid at far more devastating bombing happening every day of the week in other parts of the world. Just my 2 cents.

There is so much bombings etc in the Middle East at the moment that we are not shocked by it anymore. Another way to look at it is compare shootings in Ireland at the moment to 30 years ago. We have so many shootings now compared to 30 years ago that we are used to it kinda like how we feel about the bombings etc in the middle east.

Cliste wrote: »
    OP where were you for all the other suicide bombs in Iraq this month???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/06/iraq-suicide-bomber-political-rally.html

:mad:

I only set up this thread tonight as the Boston thread was been hijacked and going of topic mentioning bombings in the Middle East.

I only set up this thread tonight as the Boston thread was been hijacked and going of topic mentioning bombings in the Middle East.

Don't worry it was only tounge in cheek

... although I was hoping we could do a full back comparison of things that we should really be getting outraged about - I'm talking every tit for tat murder in the last 50 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bomb attack in Iraq pretty much daily stuff
    Bomb and gun attack Mogadishu Somalia just after government was internationally recognised by the IMF
    Bomb attack boston - I'd say home grown terrorist gun but not happy with new gun controls

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

The people crying crocodile tears about dead Iraqis are such hypocrites.
    They don't give a damn about bombs in Iraq, evidenced by the fact that they never mention it the 364 other days of the year. It simply serves as a useful stick to beat others with today, on the day of the Boston bombings, and to feel morally superior. Get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

We have more in common with the US and relate more to citizens of the US. Hence the media coverage. It's somewhat cruel considering we are all citizens of the world but if that was completely true we wouldn't report shootings in Ireland ahead of shootings elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

The Iraq situation was a thousand times more shocking when it kicked off a decade ago but what's happening there now is almost commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Up until the 90's there was a murder/bombing nearly everyday on this Island, but it became the norm and although it was reported (just like the bombing in Iraq was) the public and media became used to it. If there is a murder today, its a front page story.
    Northern Ireland was a war zone like Iraq is today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Senna wrote: »
    Up until the 90's there was a murder/bombing nearly everyday on this Island, but it became the norm and although it was reported (just like the bombing in Iraq was) the public and media became used to it. If there is a murder today, its a front page story.
    Northern Ireland was a war zone like Iraq is today

Yeah, you become desensitized to ongoing conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think what happened in Boston was a shocking despicable act but I find people's "online reaction" infuriating. My Facebook page is full pictures of candles and Boston and "remember the dead" etc. I find these public outpourings of grief over the top. That's what annoys me.

Ignore the Iraq bombings, how people died from gunshot wounds in Massachusetts yeasterday? How many people died in car crashes? I think the hype, shock factor, public displays of sympathy and media coverage are excessive for 3 deaths in one incident.

That is what i dont understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I'm sick to death of this disproportionate coverage. It is all over the media.

This morning I turned on facebook to see a dumb "WE STAND BESIDE OUR AMERICAN ALLIES AT THIS DIFFICULT TIME" meme from the UK being shared and liked.

It's sickening. The media, although visibly dejected by the unremarkable numbers involved, are resorting to all sorts of emotive language like 'battlefield' and "the war zone mile".

And while you cannot blame the US media for donating so much time to this tragic story, strangely enough, it's the non US media which is just as hysterical.

I don't like to bring up the bombs in Somalia and Iraq yesterday, but it is an awkward reality.

In truth, most Irish people will not have known anyone in serious danger yesterday. We can try to explain away our interest in this story as cultural, racial or historic.

Either way, it comes down to a subjugation of importance of humanity and human life to whether the victims are the right nationality.

In truth, most Irish people will not have known anyone in serious danger yesterday. We can try to explain away our interest in this story as cultural, racial or historic.

Either way, it comes down to a subjugation of importance of humanity and human life to whether the victims are the right nationality.

You don't think these are in any way valid? I've been to the U.S. about 5 times and know a lot of people who live there. I've never been to Iraq or Somalia.

The culture we live in is a lot more similar to that of the U.S. I watch American TV and movies, and listen to American music. I can't say the same about Iraq and Somalia.

It's also a much more rare that something like this happens in the U.S., hence the extra attention devoted to it.

I'm sure the media in other parts of Eastern Africa or the Middle-East are paying a lot of attention to these other bombings, likely because of the opposite of everything I've said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

You don't think these are in any way valid?
    Personally, no.

I can see why people do. That's why I said they can be explained away.

However, even if you do try to explain this away it amounts to a justification of some human lives lost to terrorism being more important than other human lost to terrorism on the basis of nationality.

That's fine by a lot of people, maybe even most people. Grand so. I just think it's an observation that should at least get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

...hence the extra attention devoted to it.
    Extra attention is one thing - mass hysteria is another. There were 3 people killed ffs! There's been 3500 killed by guns just SO FAR this year in the states. 35,000+ killed on US roads last year... where's the hysteria over that? A little bit of perspective from the media is all I'm asking.

However, even if you do try to explain this away it amounts to a justification of some human lives lost to terrorism being more important than other human lost to terrorism on the basis of nationality.

No it doesn't. That's not a fair inference to make.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    Extra attention is one thing - mass hysteria is another. There were 3 people killed ffs! There's been 3500 killed by guns just SO FAR this year in the states. 35,000+ killed on US roads last year... where's the hysteria over that? A little bit of perspective from the media is all I'm asking.

I agree with this to a point. Some of the coverage and hysteria on social media is silly. It's undoubtedly a notable event though.

Advertisement