Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Department of foreigners.

Options
  • 15-04-2013 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Ms Woldu Hagos met Mr Padwick when they worked together in the kitchens of a United Nations peacekeeping mission in Eritrea. Mr Padwick died in December 2002 soon after he returned from his UN mission leaving his daughter's future in limbo.

Ms Woldu Hagos told the Department of Foreign Affairs in 2004 that her daughter was Irish but she was told she would have to establish this by formal means herself. This was an impossible task for the single mother who was living in poor conditions 5,700km away.

The only support she received was a whip-around from Mr Padwick's colleagues prior to the termination of Ireland's involvement in the UN mission to Eritrea.

In 2009, Anthony Joyce, a solicitor, and Simon Palmer, a public relations adviser, took up her case pro bono.

So it took few years and the intervention of a TD to get there. Fair play to her mum. Good news stories are thin on the ground

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Why does a public relations officer take up a citizen's application case pro bono?

Why does a citizenship application need a Public Relations Officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Why is the OP the fourth post in the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why do birds suddenly appear..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Good news for the child and her mother but hardly news/thread worthy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is there anything Bono isint involved in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Martha Woldu Hagos is the mankiest name I have ever heard.

Makes me wretch - no wonder the child took the name Padwick.

i didnt read the rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

She is probably better off staying in Eritrea.

Simon Coveny has just signed a pledge on behalf of the Irish Government to commit millions of euros in foreign aid over the next few years.

Lapin wrote: »
    She is probably better off staying in Eritrea.

Simon Coveny has just signed a pledge on behalf of the Irish Government to commit millions in aid to the UN.
    Lol

• Advertisement

tin79 wrote: »
    Martha Woldu Hagos is the mankiest name I have ever heard.

Makes me wretch - no wonder the child took the name Padwick.

i didnt read the rest.

Sensitive fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Department of job stealing dole scrounging swan eating foreigners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

They have won the lottery. Treasure Ireland will look after them well.

The average wage there is 500 euro per annum. 26 large will go a long way.

Here we go....

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

so the gov are the bad guys for asking someone to provide proof citizenship?

If there was no money or EU citizenship to be got - would they have bothered their hole to apply for the passport?

Would they f*ck.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Anyone else read Padwick as as Patrick, with a lisp?

If there was no money or EU citizenship to be got - would they have bothered their hole to apply for the passport?

Would they f*ck.

No doubt if you lived in Eritrea and saw the opportunity to get out, you'd think "No Wayne, this isn't right. That social welfare belongs to Irish people who deserve it more than I. I'll stay here and suffer my lot in life, and don't try to advance myself or improve my quality of life when fate grants me an opportunity".

Wouldn't you Wayne?

No doubt if you lived in Eritrea and saw the opportunity to get out, you'd think "No Wayne, this isn't right. That social welfare belongs to Irish people who deserve it more than I. I'll stay here and suffer my lot in life, and don't try to advance myself or improve my quality of life when fate grants me an opportunity".

Nice strawman.

Nice strawman.
    That's not what straw man means.

Your theory is that this Eritrean individual only want to develop a benefit for herself of some kind, arising out of Ireland's preferable economic situation relative to Eritrea.

My question is response is "wouldn't you".

That is not a straw man.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/straw%20man

• Advertisement

That's not what straw man means.

Your theory is that this Eritrean individual only want to develop a benefit for herself of some kind, arising out of Ireland's preferable economic situation relative to Eritrea.

I dont know what id do in your hypothetical situation. Its irrelevant to the topic at hand.

This is a great windfall. Under the zambrano judgement, the mother is fully entitled to live here with her citizen child. Access to the loot : activated.

Dole, child benefit, free education, single ma allowance, two hundred brick a month from the fathers pension, free medical care, access to social housing and 26 large in the bank.

Thats a lottery win, right there. Pop open the champers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anything that pisses you off is worth celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Did he really die or just pretended to die coz he got yer wan up the duff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I dont know what id do in your hypothetical situation. Its irrelevant to the topic at hand.

This is a great windfall. Under the zambrano judgement, the mother is fully entitled to live here with her citizen child. Access to the loot : activated.

Dole, child benefit, free education, single ma allowance, two hundred brick a month from the fathers pension, free medical care, access to social housing and 26 large in the bank.

She's an Irish citizen now, Wayne. Just like you. And nothing you and your little hissy fits can do about it.

No it isn't. I think most of us agree that Eritrea is a less favourable place to live than Ireland. Any criticism of this woman if she chooses to live in this economy over the Eritrean economy is hypocritical, considering there is little doubt but that we would do the same in her position.

I would go so far as to say it would be downright irresponsible to raise a family in Eritrea if you had an opportunity to move to Ireland with full citizenship rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I have no problem with her getting the orphan's pension as that was money earned by her dad through his job to look after any dependents but there's no way she should get residency/citizenship. To take it to the extreme, I could travel the world spreading my seed and impregnate 1000 women a year-you couldn't expect the state to then welcome all those kids in 10 years later.

I would go so far as to say it would be downright irresponsible to raise a family in Eritrea if you had an opportunity to move to Ireland with full citizenship rights.

Even if its at the hard pressed taxpayers expense?

We send these countries 700 million euro per annum. That should be enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Even if its at the hard pressed taxpayers expense?

We send these countries 700 million euro per annum. That should be enough.
    Do we borrow that money just to give it away?

old hippy wrote: »
    She's an Irish citizen now, Wayne. Just like you. And nothing you and your little hissy fits can do about it.

She is irish through the deceased sperm donor. In other words, Irish by default. She hasnt even set foot in the kip.

Citizenship is just a piece of paper, albeit, an important piece of paper.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

latenia wrote: »
    I have no problem with her getting the orphan's pension as that was money earned by her dad through his job to look after any dependents but there's no way she should get residency/citizenship. To take it to the extreme, I could travel the world spreading my seed and impregnate 1000 women a year-you couldn't expect the state to then welcome all those kids in 10 years later.

Her late father didn't take it to your fanciful extremes, though, did he?

Why us there no way she should get residency?

If I ever have a kid (with my non national wife) and then die, should my child be denied his or heritage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement