Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O'Leary accused of slave contracts for Staff in Norway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

That's the reason he's creaming it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

How much was he paying them? Michael O Leary is all about publicity, he cares not one iota about his workers and even less about his customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

HondaSami wrote: »
    How much was he paying them? Michael O Leary is all about publicity, he cares not one iota about his workers and even less about his customers.

I think it's better explained here

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/04/11/ryanair-boss-denies-slave-contracts/

HondaSami wrote: »

and yet as long as prices are low people fly no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Won't you get the usuual your choice to fly with him or not brigade on defending him because at the end of the day as long as they have their cheap flights who cares about customer service and peoples rights such as wages etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It's like an episode of Roots.

Still, we can expect a burgeoning Blues scene to develop in Oslo as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

What's the minimum wage in Norway?

We should at least try to put some context in this...

Context. Staff are sueing him because wages are too low.

There is no minimum Wage in Norway.

http://www.minimum-wage.org/international/en/Norway

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

crusher000 wrote: »
    Context. Staff are sueing him because wages are too low.

And there has never been a spurious court case in the history of the worldwide court systems.

Do you believe the wages are too low? If so, why?

So anyone have some real context?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O’Leary, interviewed live on NRK’s evening debate program Aktuelt Wednesday evening, claimed the allegations against Ryanair were coming from “two cabin crew who were unsuccessful and dismissed,” adding that they’re “supported by labour organizations who are in the process of agreeing  thousands of job cuts and 17 percent pay cuts at SAS (Scandinavian Airlines).” O’Leary claimed the complaints against Ryanair were “an attempt to distract from the job cuts and pay cuts in SAS.”

O’Leary, who later flew to Norway to address the allegations against his airline, confirmed that none of Ryanair’s workers based at Rygge pay tax in Norway but said that was because “Ryanair must comply with Irish law because we’re an Irish airline operating Irish-regulated aircraft, our employees are employed under Irish contracts and we must respect the Irish law.” He added that “if the Norwegians have trouble with that, they should take it up with the European Union or the Irish government.”
    O’Leary also said that “parliamentarians say lots of things in Parliament that may be untrue. It’s very easy for an opposition politician in Parliament to make a false claim because he can’t be sued about it.”
    He claimed he wasn’t afraid Ryanair flights would be grounded in Norway and said he had no intention of withdrawing from the Norwegian market. “Absolutely not, why would we?” he asked. “We’re growing rapidly in Norway, we’re the only airline bringing low fares in Norway and we’re the only airline that’s giving its people a pay increase this year. Why not focus on ( the thousands of jobs) SAS are cutting, instead of Ryanair that’s
    creating jobs in Norway?”

Ryanair employs over 5,000 people with as many on their books waiting for jobs.

Norways employment system is hardly a model for comparison - id love an official Norweigan job - so cushy & with such high pay & outrageously good conditions & garaunteed pay for life if you go off sick that it would make you weep.

Makes you wonder why these two opted for an Irish contract.

“We’re growing rapidly in Norway, we’re the only airline bringing low fares in Norway and we’re the only airline that’s giving its people a pay increase this year. Why not focus on ( the thousands of jobs) SAS are cutting, instead of Ryanair that’s

.[/QUOTE]

He forgot that There is A low cost airline in Norway called Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

crusher000 wrote: »
    Won't you get the usuual your choice to fly with him or not brigade on defending him because at the end of the day as long as they have their cheap flights who cares about customer service and peoples rights such as wages etc.

OK lets go back to the Good old day of Air fungus run for the peeps of North Dublin and **** the customers

“We’re growing rapidly in Norway, we’re the only airline bringing low fares in Norway and we’re the only airline that’s giving its people a pay increase this year. Why not focus on ( the thousands of jobs) SAS are cutting, instead of Ryanair that’s

He forgot that There is A low cost airline in Norway called Norwegian.[/QUOTE]

Whom I've flown with and they are low fares but their staff are friendly and courteous. You heard it here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This is why getting rid of the minimum wages is a bad idea. People get exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Michael O'leary is great and he should be running the country, NASA, the GAA and all the pubs.

Bambi wrote: »
    Michael O'leary is great and he should be running the country, NASA, the GAA and all the pubs.

That reminds me of this

Michael O’Leary goes into a pub in Cork and asks for a pint of Guinness.
    The barman nods and says: “That will be one euro”.
    A pleased O’Leary hands over the money and comments: “That’s very cheap”.
    “Yes sir, it is” replies the barman, “however, if you want
    to drink the Guinness in a glass, you’ll have to pay an extra
    €3”.
    The Chief Executive scowls but pays up. He takes his drink goes towards a seat.
    “Ah, sir, if you want to sit down, you’ll first have to sit in
    this frame,” observes the barman.
    Unfortunately O’Leary can’t squeeze into the frame. “Nobody
    could fit in that little thing,” he complains.
    “Then you’ll have to pay a surcharge of €5 for your seat,
    sir”, cautions the barman.
    “This is ridiculous,” cries O’Leary. “I want to see the manager”.
    “Certainly sir”, responds the barman. “Here is his email
    address or, if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and
    9.10 any Monday morning. Calls are free until they are answered.
    Then there is a talking charge of only 10 cents per
    second.”
    A furious O’Leary swears he’ll never come into this pub
    again, to which the barman answers: “That’s perfectly O.K
    sir, but remember we’re the only pub in Ireland selling pints
    for one euro!”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well realistically. I suppose Staff of the option to work there, or not to work there. So to call it slavery when in fact working with the company is a personal decision is laughable to say the least.

Get some context you daily mail headliners.....

Slavery... yeah its a real live galleon full of stolen peoples lives.

listermint wrote: »
    Well realistically. I suppose Staff of the option to work there, or not to work there. So to call it slavery when in fact working with the company is a personal decision is laughable to say the least.

To live on that kind of money in Norway is slavery,maybe not in Ireland.
    And when the unemployment is as high as it is in the EU,i am not sure if its an option any longer,so it's quite easy to exploit people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

OK lets go back to the Good old day of Air fungus run for the peeps of North Dublin and **** the customers

It is possible to offer low fares, customer service and provide desirable employment! Look at easyjet, among the best paid and best treated airline employees in Europe! The Airline is highly successful and doing a booming trade! Ryanair can well afford to stop exploiting staff and treat them decently, they choose not to, it all down to greed, and you cant say it how they keep their fares so low, other airilnes are often just as cheap, and ryanair fares are on the rise recently, there is no doubt about that!

• Advertisement

There is a charge to terminate your contract within 15 months!!!!!! Ok your not physically prevented from leaving the job but you are punished if you do, which to me surly cant be legal!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thanks for all the income tax you pay Michael, by choosing to live at home in Ireland

Locker10a wrote: »
    There is a charge to terminate your contract within 15 months!!!!!! Ok your not physically prevented from leaving the job but you are punished if you do, which to me surly cant be legal!

I have no idea of the truth on this either way. So i wont comment on it.

I have no idea of the truth on this either way. So i wont comment on it.

Its very much a reality!

To live on that kind of money in Norway is slavery,maybe not in Ireland.
    And when the unemployment is as high as it is in the EU,i am not sure if its an option any longer,so it's quite easy to exploit people.

Is it more / or less than mcdonalds ? Whats the comparison to other low budget airlines in norway in terms of their package ?

So if i look at this, i see two former stewards are sueing the airline and thats where this hullabaloo is coming from.

People sue former employers daily in this country but we hear nothing about it.

Is it more / or less than mcdonalds ? Whats the comparison to other low budget airlines in norway in terms of their package ?

In Ryanair you are not even allowed to join a union:eek:that says it all
    And Norwegian pay their staff according to Norwegian standard.

In Ryanair you are not even allowed to join a union:eek:that says it all
    And Norwegian pay their staff according to Norwegian standard.

Many companies dont allow unions, nothing new there.

And ive no idea what the second sentence means.

So if i look at this, i see two former stewards are sueing the airline and thats where this hullabaloo is coming from.

People sue former employers daily in this country but we hear nothing about it.

Ryanair are notoriously bad employers, if you want to find out more google search the topic of pilot and cabin crew terms and conditions, by doing some research and reading through forums I'm sure you will find out more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That reminds me og this

Michael O’Leary goes into a pub in Cork and asks for a pint of Guinness.
    The barman nods and says: “That will be one euro”.
    A pleased O’Leary hands over the money and comments: “That’s very cheap”.
    “Yes sir, it is” replies the barman, “however, if you want
    to drink the Guinness in a glass, you’ll have to pay an extra
    €3”.
    The Chief Executive scowls but pays up. He takes his drink goes towards a seat.
    “Ah, sir, if you want to sit down, you’ll first have to sit in
    this frame,” observes the barman.
    Unfortunately O’Leary can’t squeeze into the frame. “Nobody
    could fit in that little thing,” he complains.
    “Then you’ll have to pay a surcharge of €5 for your seat,
    sir”, cautions the barman.
    “This is ridiculous,” cries O’Leary. “I want to see the manager”.
    “Certainly sir”, responds the barman. “Here is his email
    address or, if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and
    9.10 any Monday morning. Calls are free until they are answered.
    Then there is a talking charge of only 10 cents per
    second.”
    A furious O’Leary swears he’ll never come into this pub
    again, to which the barman answers: “That’s perfectly O.K
    sir, but remember we’re the only pub in Ireland selling pints
    for one euro!”

Except for the fact that that's nothing like Ryanair's business model.

Advertisement