Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollister why so popular

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Lowe Alpine and Snickers all the way :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

1ZRed wrote: »
    Ralph Lauren is not preppy or youthful

Polo is.

My memory of Hollister and A&F stores, bad lighting, bad music, horrible clothes and the dog awful smell of their disgusting perfumes wafting around the place.

The quality of the clothes is no better than Tha Gap or Banana republic and costs far more.

I have polo shirts and shorts I bought in a Gap several years ago that are still perfect, I have jeans from a Banana Republic store I bought 2 years ago that are still perfrct.

If I was going to spend the money of A&F jeans and t-shirts I'd add an extra €10 and buy some Gant or RL Polo or similar clothes from a proper label which I know will fit better and last longer and be more comfortable.

Seaneh wrote: »
    My memory of Hollister and A&F stores, bad lighting, bad music, horrible clothes and the dog awful smell of their disgusting perfumes wafting around the place.

The quality of the clothes is no better than Tha Gap or Banana republic and costs far more.

I have polo shirts and shorts I bought in a Gap several years ago that are still perfect, I have jeans from a Banana Republic store I bought 2 years ago that are still perfrct.

If I was going to spend the money of A&F jeans and t-shirts I'd add an extra €10 and buy some Gant or RL Polo or similar clothes from a proper label which I know will fit better and last longer and be more comfortable.

So much nonsense in that post especially the past paragraph you wouldn't know where to start on pointing out whats wrong.

For a start there there is a lot more than 10 euro in the difference between RL and A&F and I find both RL and especially Gant really dont make good fitting polos much too loose, you need these to fit properly not be loose. I have A&F polos for more than 3 years that I still wear and they have got a lot of wear and gone through the wash a hell of a lot of times and they are in great nick still.

The fragrances are a matter of choice but personally I am a big fan of both their fragrances. Hollister also have the nicest smelling deodorant I've ever had (Newport beach).

I have one of my RL Polo shirts since I was 17, I'm 28 now, it still fits perfectly, the label it came with even stated it would get more and more comfortable with age, this is correct. A Polo shirt usually costs about €50-€60, a pair of Gant Jeans is usually between €80 and 90 (and up to 120 in some places, but that's silly money), A&F polo's cost the guts of €50, their jeans up to €75-80 euros.

I know where the better value lies in that comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The fragrances are a matter of choice but personally I am a big fan of both their fragrances. Hollister also have the nicest smelling deodorant I've ever had (Newport beach).

Please tell me you're female.

From what I could tell, Hollister jeans must be way too loose, all the guys that work in there have trouble keeping their's up even with a belt on.

Please tell me you're female.

From what I could tell, Hollister jeans must be way too loose, all the guys that work in there have trouble keeping their's up even with a belt on.

Nope male.

I wasn't talking about jeans don't have any hollister or A&F jeans. I was referring to t-shirts and Polo shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

A trendy brand initially brought on by returning J1'ers that will probably reach saturation (if it hasn't already) and be replaced by something else, Jack Wills will probably see a steady rise in popularity soon.

Not comparable to long standing quality brands like Lacoste, Ralph, Fred Perry etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Same with that skanky Super Dry. What the frick like!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dunno why people spend daft money on clothes tbh.
    Ultimately whether you bought it in Penney's unbranded or it's "hollister" etc, they are all made in some part of the far east and I suspect the only difference between some of the garments is the price tag and the label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

Treasure Hot Crayon you are entitled to your opinion - as are the rest of us - so less of the 'nonsense' comments please.

kippy wrote: »
    I dunno why people spend daft money on clothes tbh.
    Ultimately whether you bought it in Penney's unbranded or it's "hollister" etc, they are all made in some part of the far east and I suspect the only difference between some of the garments is the price tag and the label.

In fairness even though I'm not a fan of Hollister or AF, they are made to a far higher quality than stuff you would get in penny's or dunnes.

Probably not to justify the size of the gap in price, but they are not going to come apart at the seems like some of the gear you get for under a tenner in the discount type places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Of course it's preppy. I'm very interested to hear the argument as to why it isn't. I never said it was youthful.

Preppy to me is very youthful but by definition it's a "pupil or graduate of an expensive prep school", either way I don't see many young people at all who wear RL. It just seems like a very tired brand IMO.

Irish people are under the impression that it's a designer preppy brand akin to Ralph Lauren, when really it's like a US River Island. And as with most Irish blokes and fashion, everybody else is wearing it so it's definitely not 'gay' to wear it too.

It's also far from a US River Island which would have to have the best clothes ever if looking as gay as a handbag full of rainbows is your intension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    In fairness even though I'm not a fan of Hollister or AF, they are made to a far higher quality than stuff you would get in penny's or dunnes.

Probably not to justify the size of the gap in price, but they are not going to come apart at the seems like some of the gear you get for under a tenner in the discount type places.

I've pennys clothes (shirts,trousers) that have lasted me years and yeah, the odd few bits that wont take much wear.
    On the other hand I've had brand name clothes (jeans mostly) that didnt last long.

To me, on a personal basis, spending money on clothes is just not a priority so the cheaper the better.

I don't disagree with you. The "quality" may be better but they are probably made for the same or similar price.

kippy wrote: »
    I've pennys clothes (shirts,trousers) that have lasted me years and yeah, the odd few bits that wont take much wear.
    On the other hand I've had brand name clothes (jeans mostly) that didnt last long.

To me, on a personal basis, spending money on clothes is just not a priority so the cheaper the better.

I don't disagree with you. The "quality" may be better but they are probably made for the same or similar price.

Ye fair enough.

No matter what the brand or how much it costs though, in my experience I don't think any pair of jeans on earth are immune from the crotch tear, its killed the last 4 pairs of jeans i've had :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

colman1212 wrote: »
    I bought quite a bit of abercrombie clothing when I lived in san fran and boston.

They need to put sentences like this in a space capsule so future civilizations can better understand the disquieting changes in Ireland in the last 15 years.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Ye fair enough.

No matter what the brand or how much it costs though, in my experience I don't think any pair of jeans on earth are immune from the crotch tear, its killed the last 4 pairs of jeans i've had :(

Its fairly cheap to get them repaired in an alterations shop. I have gotten a few pairs of jeans repaired which were too good to throw out and you would never notice. You need to find someone good at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Smart marketing
    +
    average clothes
    +
    ramped up prices
    +
    consumers who don't shop around to find a better deal
    =
    profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

1ZRed wrote: »
    Preppy to me is very youthful but by definition it's a "pupil or graduate of an expensive prep school", either way I don't see many young people at all who wear RL. It just seems like a very tired brand IMO.

It's also far from a US River Island which would have to have the best clothes ever if looking as gay as a handbag full of rainbows is your intension.

When trying to determine if something is preppy just ask yourself: What would Carlton wear?
    RLs Polo range is the epitome of preppy clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am an anti brands person mostly because I am anti consumerism. I do like good quality clothing.

A question for any one in to their clothes, what range of clothing has the quality of AF but is not as marketed/ branded and life style orientated as AF?

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am an anti brands person mostly because I am anti consumerism.

How do you manage to avoid to avoid consumerism totally?

Do you grow your own food, make your own clothes, create your own internet etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

anncoates wrote: »
    How do you manage that?

Shoplifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I am an anti brands person mostly because I am anti consumerism. I do like good quality clothing.

Why so militantly anti-brand? I put no heed whatsoever into brands. However recently I was looking for a new shirt and had a style and colour in mind. I happened to find this in Hollister (was out of stock so never got it). When I told my gf I was looking at a shirt in Hollister she was put off because it was Hollister and it has a douchy reputation. Now I couldn't give a crap if it said Hollister or St Bernard as long as it was what I wanted and was reasonably priced.

Kinda biting off your nose to spite your face by not buying something you want and is priced well just because it's a brand.

zerks wrote: »
    Shoplifter.

Isn't stealing the fruits of consumerism just a tacit endorsement of same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

A question for any one in to their clothes, what range of clothing has the quality of AF but is not as marketed/ branded and life style orientated as AF?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sounds like you've crafted your own brand for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Of course it's preppy. I'm very interested to hear the argument as to why it isn't. I never said it was youthful.

zach-morris-phone-300x225.jpg

Hold the phone!

anncoates wrote: »
    How do you manage that?

I could have said that better. I don't like the marketing of clothes as life style, I understand fashion and good quality clothes people like to look well. Thats fine as far as it goes. I dislike the message the marketing of brands like AF and Hollister give to SOME young people i.e the association of being cool, in groups etc .. plus its puts some parents under serious pressure to buy the clothes as they do not want their child to miss out.

NothingMan wrote: »
    Why so militantly anti-brand? I put no heed whatsoever into brands. However recently I was looking for a new shirt and had a style and colour in mind. I happened to find this in Hollister (was out of stock so never got it). When I told my gf I was looking at a shirt in Hollister she was put off because it was Hollister and it has a douchy reputation. Now I couldn't give a crap if it said Hollister or St Bernard as long as it was what I wanted and was reasonably priced.

Kinda biting off your nose to spite your face by not buying something you want and is priced well just because it's a brand.

If it suited my needs I would buy it of course I would, but if I was give the chance to buy something that is not marketed as a life style and was free of logos thats what I would pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I could have said that better. I don't like the marketing of clothes as life style, I understand fashion and good quality clothes people like to look well, Thats fine as far as it goes. I dislike the message the marketing of brands like AF and Hollister give to SOME young people i.e the association of being cool, in groups etc .. plus its puts some parents under serious pressure to buy the clothes as they do not want their child to miss out.

You could apply that to any form of effective advertising. Clothes are more than just a cultural necessity and have been for hundreds of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

This thread reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_X1b6UW_0

I dont see the huge attraction to these brands but my college looks like hollister sponsers arts degrees

Advertisement