Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you did as a teenager to look 'cool'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

The only thing I cared about as a teenager was getting out of my hometown.

Now that I've achieved it I have no more goals, no aim in life.

*weeps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I was ultra cool... So cool I had 2 gold earrings in my left ear and 1 in my right. Gold bracelet and neck chain.
    Nike air max and adidas trackies for hanging around the street.
    Ben Sherman shirts for the weekend (bright BRIGHT ones)
    Ass-loads of brylcream.
    Drinking and smoking.

Jaysus I was a dîck!

You sound like most blokes that frequented 'McGrath's' on Dublin's O'Connell Street in the late 90's. A lovely bit o'rough to be found in there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My uncle, a smoker, left behind some cigarette butts in an ashtray, which I stole and then smuggled into school. I went to the bathroom and lit the butts and waved them around me so that there would be a smell of smoke off my uniform and people would think, my she's such a rebel, smoking in the toilet. I still cringe when I think about it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Omackeral wrote: »
    Pretended I was chewing gum when,in fact, it was my tongue.

Playing it cool with a football when girls came by thinking a few nonchalant flicks would impress them. It didn't. 12 year old girls don't care for technical prowess on the pitch.

As states above, nicked my dad's Brylcreem and lathered it on. Hair would go rock hard after a while.

How many people tried this after reading the post?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Wore a Che Guevara T-shirt. :(

Binned it when I actually bothered my hole to read up about him, felt like a tit for wearing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I used to smoke those long brown menthol cigarettes to look extra cool (Aah, can't remember the name of them now!)

I used to smoke them in coffee shops, drinking cappucinos. I hated coffee, but thought it looked cooler than drinking a soft drink :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I used to smoke those long brown menthol cigarettes to look extra cool (Aah, can't remember the name of them now!)

'More' menthols??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I used to smoke them in coffee shops, drinking cappucinos. I hated coffee, but thought it looked cooler than drinking a soft drink :o

How you doin'?

(Might be a few years too late, but there you go...you finally got your intended audience's attention. :P)

I didn’t do anything cool as a teenager. I didn’t what was or wasn’t cool, that’s how out of the loop I was, plus I come from the countryside, so that’s not exactly a recipe for coolness. I did rebel against my peers by making sure my hair was neatly combed and tie done up to strangling tightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wurly wrote: »
    'More' menthols??:D

Ha! That was it!!

What an utter twat I must have looked, smoking twigs and grimacing after every mouthfull of coffee! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Oh yeah forgot about the pan stick foundation. I wore layers upon layers of it and all in the palest lightest shade even though I'm sallow skinned?
    Over plucking the eyebrows and filling them in with my mothers eye pencil
    Robbing (I know) friendship band out of shop
    Tour to the cliffs of moher I brought a bottle of whiskey I took from home what am idiot
    Wrote whoever I fancied, their name on my schoolbag. Lukesmom 4 ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Ugg boats. The cheap penny's kind and all, the structure completely misshapen so your foot would slip to the side. They were like wearing sponges they soaked up so much rain, practically left puddles dry if u accidentally walked through theem. Mank.

Also when i was about five I loved those runners that would light up when you walked. All the cool kids had them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I wore really baggy jeans which used to get wet up to the knees if it rained, and they had to be really low slung so that the top of your underwear was visible. :o

Striped knee socks and Converse, maybe with mismatched laces.

Stuck band name badges on to everything I owned.

Dyed streaks of colour into my hair, and then decided black hair was definitely the way to go for me. It was not. At all.

So much black eye-liner.

Bracelets from the wrist to the elbow. On both arms. Made writing next to impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Wore the mahoosive parachute pants, with little t-shirts and LOTS of bangles. Oftentimes had Cinch cords, the ends of which used to sweep the ground they were so baggy.
    Lowered my schoolbag to the longest straps, it bounced off my arse it was so low down.
    Henna transfers on my hands.
    TONNES of black eyeliner when I was bit older (16+).
    Used that Hint of a Tint stuff a few times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Had purple laces in my doc martens, wore a bindi and had little plaits in my hair......coooooool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Grew my hair long and dyed it, hung out with bikers and smoked a bit of weed. Happy daze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

As a kid:Cycling with no hands.
    Pedal wheelies.
    Battered yellow canvass school bag with the obligatory band-name artwork.
    Writing said artwork on school desks.
    Purple crepes/brothel-creepers (whatever they're called).
    Doc Martens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    perma sunglasses affixed to top of head, huge headphones, crucifix earing, pants chain, green highlights

The thread is about trying to look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

For one period circa 1985ish, I looked like Crockett from Miami Vice.
    During the rave boom of the late 80's I didn't take a single Ecstasy tab, which was pretty damn cool in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

So does wearing a backpack on one shoulder look stupid? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

O'Neill tracksuit bottoms for every occasion. My white ones were the good ones, I used to wear them to junior discos with a black or red thong, a Susst string top and platform runners.

Hoodies - when I was a young teenager it was cool to have a Gap hoodie, as I got older it became Billabong and then Abercrombie.

Black platform ankle boots with a thick heel like these. Usually worn under trousers with skirts.

Black eyeliner - Used to wear about an inch of it around my eyes.

Stealing alcohol to go knacker drinking - used to raid the drinking cabinet at home and pour a small amount of each spirit into a plastic water bottle, cos the parents won't notice if there's just a bit of each one gone! Sometimes you'd go overboard and have to top them up with water :o

Edit: Nearly forgot, Buffalo trainers!!!! The madder the colours, the better. I used to love the ones with the flames, like these ones. And they had to have ridiculously oversized, garish laces. Usually worn with combats, because All Saints had made them popular at the time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

chakotha wrote: »
    So does wearing a backpack on one shoulder look stupid? :eek:

I don't really think it looks stupid. Sometimes it's just more comfortable if it's too warm out and your back starts to sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Army jackets were all the rage between 1988 and 1990 when I was in school and most had the green one so I went all over the place until I got one of the blue ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Witchie wrote: »
    Had purple laces in my doc martens, wore a bindi and had little plaits in my hair......coooooool.

Ahhh the bindi! I loved them. And wearing the thin ones beside one eye to look like fancy eyeliner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Jaysus - I did about 80% of the stuff in that article! Particularly remember the snappy off tracksuit bottoms (and secretly being delighted if a cute boy snapped them up).

When we were about 11, shag bracelets were really cool. They came in loads of different colours, but I'd only wear them in black and white - just to be different and sophisticated. :P Sure, we didn't know what "shag" meant at that age!

I just had a Google to see if I had the right name and, apparently, the different colours represent how far you'd go with a boy! :eek: White means you would flash them and black means you'd go all the way.

I remember being at a school play and firing bits of my bracelets at a guy in front of me. I didn't realise I was basically offering him my body!!

Ahhhhh - another innocent childhood memory ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ConstantLove

Maybe smoking was the coolest thing from those times. I try it then but happily don't continue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Smoked, still do that, still look cool doing it :cool:

Got nearly the whole length of both my ears pierced, used to be in agony trying to sleep on my side with the backs of the studs sticking into me head.

I tried to get any piece of loose skin pierced actually, apart from my ears, I had my nose pierced 3 times, bellybutton pierced and my tongue pierced, if it dangled, I wanted a hole in it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OneArt wrote: »
    I don't really think it looks stupid. Sometimes it's just more comfortable if it's too warm out and your back starts to sweat.

It murders your spine though.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

smoke cigarettes, drank large amounts of alcohol, smoked loads of cannabis and skateboarded.. had long hair and skinny jeans too.. jeeze..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Think it was the mid nineties when the "curtain" hair style was all the rage. I went to stay in my sisters for a week or so during the summer and decided to cut the middle part outa my hair so I'd have the curtain look all the time without having to style it as such.

Not a good look at all I have to say and when my mum found out she made me get an even more god awful hair cut to try and fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Drew the Smashing Pumpkins logo (among others) on my schoolbag. Had never heard a single Smashing Pumpkins song. Eventually remembered them and gave them a listen when I was about 19, wasn't overly enthused tbh.

Advertisement