Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you did as a teenager to look 'cool'

Options
  • 14-04-2013 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Great article in the daily edge today about all of those cringeworthy things we did to look cool when we were teenagers.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/teenagers-trying-to-be-cool-854688-Apr2013/

I definitely did the ripped jeans thing and the scraped back pony tails.

Being a dub, I also used to wear a lot of gold. The more rings the better.:o Even though I much preferred silver.

What did you do to look cool when you were a teen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Double denim

Bandana

Platform shoes

Hair band with my name or a band's name written on it.

Stick on earrings.

/cool 90s child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Smoked Cigarettes, a girl I went out with in 6th year smoked so I decided to join her between classes. She's long gone, the smokes have stayed.:pac: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Smoked Cigarettes, a girl I went out with in 6th year smoked so I decided to join her between classes. She's long gone, the smokes have stayed.:pac: :mad:

Apart from this ^^ (though the 'looking cool' thing was only part of it), nothing. I've long given up trying to be cool, it's never going to happen. I'm a glasses-wearing, banjo-playing politics student on a message board at 3am on Sunday morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

The trendy years saw me wearing shoes that were so loosely laced I would have had more secure footware if i went around in flipflops.

Also wore Kappa tracksuits - just 'no' :embarrassed:

The alternative years saw a canvassed school bag that had such poor straps it practically cut my shoulders. But hey! It was cool :pac:

Jeans ripped open from the knee to the cuff, with torn off back pockets.

Still, i'd take any of those over the skinny jeans you see these days!

Edit - Re; the thread title. Certainly these things were done to look cool, but none of them actually worked!

• Advertisement

Smoked, wore a leather coat, listened to punk, read Kazantzakis and Bukowski, and looked like a younger, taller, better looking Toto Schillaci. Though that last one came naturally. :cool:

p.s None of the things listed in that article are even remotely "cool". Not then, not now, not ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Susst flares - preferably bright purple.
    Army bags with bleach splashes.
    Ripped school jumper cuffs (with thumb holes).
    Lots of lip gloss.
    Perfected drawings of band logos.
    Adidas tracksuit bottoms. :o (glad to say I never owned snappy ones though)
    Rolled up school skirt (sometimes too much, made me look like I had a spare tyre)

EDIT: Hint of a Tint, mother of jaysus, been there. :o
    EDIT 2: And jeans slits! Fúcking hell, forgot about that. What a cliché I was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

kjl wrote: »
    smoked.

If there's one decision I regret, its that.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

wore a hat with propellors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Lived in a fridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 beefstew

Wore those stupid new rock boots that became all the rage for a very brief spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

Wurly wrote: »
    Great article in the daily edge today about all of those cringeworthy things we did to look cool when we were teenagers.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/teenagers-trying-to-be-cool-854688-Apr2013/

I definitely did the ripped jeans thing and the scraped back pony tails.

Being a dub, I also used to wear a lot of gold. The more rings the better.:o Even though I much preferred silver.

What did you do to look cool when you were a teen?

My hair cut had a 'step' at the back. I wore Xworx jeans. Think that's what they were called. I tried to 'shift' a lot of girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wearing English or Scottish football club jerseys and singing Dubliner songs.

Sniffing glue and giving my dads vodka out to every girl in the 1st year school discos.

Wearing brylcreem.

Pretending to like dancing,and dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,384 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Smoking in the shed behind the school, only ever smoked 3 or 4 cigs though and decided it wasn't for me.

Drank the night of the Inter Cert results as well even though the Smithwicks tasted dire, no such thing as being asked for ID in a pub 23 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Absolutely nothing at all. I think i was probably the most uncool person in the country at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Grayson wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing at all. I think i was probably the most uncool person in the country at that time.

And that made you cool..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Tying a jumper around my waist was the coolest thing in the world when I was a kid. I also had an undercut haircut with a #1 blade. Once I even had it shaved with a half blade :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And that made you cool..

No. No, it didn't. I was so uncool that when I started playing Dungeons & Dragons, I became cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Air-bubbled runners and I'm fairly sure there may have been a pair of cream Levi 501s on the go about 16 years ago. . . .

. . .oh sh!t, I had a step haircut at one point too, although that lasted a sum total of 2 days before I realised how ridiculous it looked and shaved it off :pac:

ah, misguided youth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Leg warmers and fingerless gloves :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

brummytom wrote: »
    Apart from this ^^ (though the 'looking cool' thing was only part of it), nothing. I've long given up trying to be cool, it's never going to happen. I'm a glasses-wearing, banjo-playing politics student on a message board at 3am on Sunday morning...

You must be beating the women back with a shítty stick tom...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Bleached my hair.

Ended up with yellow spikes like Bart Simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pretended I was chewing gum when,in fact, it was my tongue.

Playing it cool with a football when girls came by thinking a few nonchalant flicks would impress them. It didn't. 12 year old girls don't care for technical prowess on the pitch.

As states above, nicked my dad's Brylcreem and lathered it on. Hair would go rock hard after a while.

Wore an x-works polar neck top with a black leather waistcoat over it :o
    I had one pair of Nike air max, they were black and purple.
    Smoked. Thankfully gave that up years ago.

I was never really cool :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Had my mother sew additional material in to the end of my already flared jeans. Leather belt with a massive skull buckle. Wore them with my blue platform shoes with 2 inch orange soles. Denim shirt with a collar that resembled the wings of a jumbo jet.

I've kept my figure so, thankfully, they still look well on me today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I went to the school discos and learned the art of fingering!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

Drank black coffee in a vain attempt to appear bohemian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nothing, I wasn't cool and never tried to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jojobeans

Naff jackets, airmax with airbubbles, ill fitting levis, ben sherman shirts, gold jewellery big ass gold hoops and clown chains! Oh and trousers with a skirt attached, sponge jeans,morgan tops and buffalo runners the type the spice girls wore. Ah memories!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In the 40s and 50s, made guys would wear a black shirt and white tie. It was a code among the folks of Little Italy in NYC. During my first year in college I used to wear the black shirt and white tie, they thought I was gay, I thought I looked like a wise guy. :( :mad::mad:

Advertisement