Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse IPhone 5 Meteor

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If you are locked in you can still sell your phone and buy the new model sim free if that's your plan so it makes little difference.

It allows you freedom to change phone and plan as you want. I assume thats why someone would do it.
    5 gigs of data is really limited for a smart phone. Thats ignoring the fact that 4G might come in in the next year or so (which the iphone5 is ready for), then 5 gig will be nothing.

If you watch Netflix or something from your mobile (which is perfectly reasonable) you would go through 5 gigs in the space of a week....

Thats a lot of TV to watch on a small screen. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

I see Meteor has started the deal on their site now but you do have to pay €99 for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Deleted some posts there, because I had forgotten the details of the deal.

Basically you're saving just under EUR 300 versus the eMobile deal by locking yourself into 2 year contract. That might be attractive for some people. That EUR 300 compensates them for the risk that mobile plans will decrease in price over that time, that they will move to an area where they can't use the plan, and any other similar risks.

If the eMobile plan is attractive to someone, then this offer is probably attractive too. For me, I don't use that much off network calls or texts so the Three mobile EUR 20 a month plan suits me. Nearly 6 hours of calls per month because I hardly ever use off network text.

This plan from Meteor certainly wouldn't make sense for me, I'd be paying a premium of more than the upfront cost of the phone over 2 years (EUR 30 per month).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think everyone has quite different usage of their phone.

Its good to compare a bill plan with alternatives and sim free. But there isn't a right answer for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Would you be allowed downgrade your plan after a certain amount of time?

I know years ago after 6 months O2 used to allow you to switch to a lower cost plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 andrew x

I was trying to get an Iphone 5 today through this offer and was asked to pay €99 for the phone. Staff member told me that the free phone offer is only for new customers and I'm already a meteor client. However I'm just on the PayLite Sim only 30 day contract plan.
    I told him that the Carphone Warehouse advertised this as an exclusive offer where one can get the phone for free this week only, and he tried to persuade me that the word 'exclusive' in the ad actually means exclusively for new customers only.
    No luck today:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

andrew x wrote: »
    I was trying to get an Iphone 5 today through this offer and was asked to pay €99 for the phone. Staff member told me that the free phone offer is only for new customers and I'm already a meteor client. However I'm just on the PayLite Sim only 30 day contract plan.
    I told him that the Carphone Warehouse advertised this as an exclusive offer where one can get the phone for free this week only, and he tried to persuade me that the word 'exclusive' in the ad actually means exclusively for new customers only.
    No luck today:mad:

if you're on sim only 30 then technically you would be upgrading as an already existing bill pay customer. the offer applies to customers who move from a different network or migrate from prepay to bill pay.

only thing you could try is to port your number out to a different network for a day as a prepay customer and try and move back as a "new" customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

PopTarts wrote: »
    Would you be allowed downgrade your plan after a certain amount of time?

I know years ago after 6 months O2 used to allow you to switch to a lower cost plan.

with meteor you cannot change your plan for the duration of the contract. Im not a fan of that as if you are on a 50 pm plan and you're due an upgrade but not at the end of your contract, then you cannot take the upgrade and move down a tariff at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Almost all of these offers seem to be for 16gb iPhones - what's the best value at the moment on a 32gb? I'm happy to buy unlocked and use a sim only plan if that's the cheapest option.

Advertisement