Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse IPhone 5 Meteor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I agree - pretty good price for a month, just one disadvantage - the phone will be outdated in the middle of your contract but if that's not an issue - good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Saw this as my brother is looking for an IPhone. Went into the shop this afternoon and its not advertised anywhere. You have to ask for it. Warning as it ends TODAY and while its popular and the staff I talked to think it maybe extended they aren't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

If you;re absolutely set on an Iphone 5, this is a good deal in fariness

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭touchwood

Offer is ongoing till Friday.

• Advertisement

If you have enough cash in your pocket - get iPhone from Apple - it's unlocked from day 1 and get 48months €20 deal all calls and sms, 3 gigs and no contracts. Considering myself one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

rai555 wrote: »
    I agree - pretty good price for a month, just one disadvantage - the phone will be outdated in the middle of your contract but if that's not an issue - good deal

What phone isnt out of date in the middle of your contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats what I was going to say. Considering the 3GS is still supported. I think the 5 will be supported a longer than other phones.

godtabh wrote: »
    What phone isnt out of date in the middle of your contract?

Galaxy S3 in the middle of my 12mth contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Galaxy S3 in the middle of my 12mth contract

That's been replaced. The s4 is out this month.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    That's been replaced. The s4 is out this month.

It was not, i will replace in 6 weeks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Just a heads up, was in cpw today and this offer applies to new meteor customers only if you are an existing customer you are not eligible.

If you have enough cash in your pocket - get iPhone from Apple - it's unlocked from day 1 and get 48months €20 deal all calls and sms, 3 gigs and no contracts. Considering myself one

Why tie all that money up in buying it outright when you can keep that money/spend it on something else and pay off the phone over the course of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

scary wrote: »
    Just a heads up, was in cpw today and this offer applies to new meteor customers only if you are an existing customer you are not eligible.
    Just to add the offer will work if your an existing meteor pay as you go customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Anyone know if you have to go to a cpw or can you go to a meteor store ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Why tie all that money up in buying it outright when you can keep that money/spend it on something else and pay off the phone over the course of the contract.
    So that you're not locked into a 24 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does it include landlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Does the 'Free €400 Holiday Voucher when you switch or connect to Vodafone or Meteor Pay Monthly' offer apply too?

ballooba wrote: »
    So that you're not locked into a 24 month contract.

You aren't going to do without a plan, the plan itself is one of the better ones from a minutes/texts and data point of view so what are the chances you will really want to change it over 24 months.

Being in a 24 month contract is a lot better than locking 700 euro into the phone.

Personally the route I favour is paying something towards the phone, less than half the full price say but getting a lower monthly payment and/or slightly shorter contract. Spending all the money up front in a case like this is madness though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume if you are not locked in you can sell your phone and buy the latest trinket when they release it. If you are on contract you probably won't be able change as easily. If you're buying a €700 phone, regardless how you are paying for it, I assume budget isn't your main priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I hate contracts and rather the freedom of being bale to change provider. iPhones that are sim free are always much easier to sell on.

I just hate another bill in the post.

20 euro '3' PAYG deal suits me perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is the phone not eligible for unlocking after 12 mths? I wonder is it 16 or 32 gig iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cbrady9

Just called carphone warehouse. Its for a 16GB (black or white) iphone 5. I asked about upgrading to a 32GB and was told it wasn't possible, not sure if this is a limitation of the deal and they can't upgrade or because of stock levels in this particular store. He also said this deal will run until Thursday.

The down side to this deal is the 24 month contract and also you'd want to be looking at getting a new deal straight after the 24 months are up, otherwise I'd imagine you'd be stuck paying 49e a months even after the 24 months. Still looks tempting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Personally the route I favour is paying something towards the phone, less than half the full price say but getting a lower monthly payment and/or slightly shorter contract. Spending all the money up front in a case like this is madness though imo.
    eMobile has the same plan (actually better) for EUR 32 per month. Over 24 months that's a saving of EUR 408 versus the Meteor price. That's well over half the price of the phone.

EDIT: Actually, I just realised. Paying EUR 408 to borrow EUR 700 over two years is madness.

ballooba wrote: »
    eMobile has the same plan (actually better) for EUR 32 per month. Over 24 months that's a saving of EUR 408 versus the Meteor price. That's well over half the price of the phone.

You still have to pay full price for the Phone though as thats sim only. The sort of thing I meant and what I did myself was get the emobile unlimited plan at half price 34.50 per month and paid 300 for the iPhone 4s, they were 679 sim free at the time. So I neither had to pay too much for the phone or have a high monthly payment and only an 18 month contract.

I actually think that meteor deal is not bad to be honest. Id rather pay 49 per month and have the phone for free than pay 32 per month and have to fork out 700 up front for the phone.

Actually if you compare the eMobile and meteor plans if you buy the phone outright and get the eMobile plan it will cost you 271 euro more at the end of the 24 months to go with eMobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

BostonB wrote: »
    I assume if you are not locked in you can sell your phone and buy the latest trinket when they release it. If you are on contract you probably won't be able change as easily. If you're buying a €700 phone, regardless how you are paying for it, I assume budget isn't your main priority.

If you are locked in you can still sell your phone and buy the new model sim free if that's your plan so it makes little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

sweetie wrote: »
    Does the 'Free €400 Holiday Voucher when you switch or connect to Vodafone or Meteor Pay Monthly' offer apply too?

Does anybody know the answer to that question. I got the phone at the weekend and am thinking of going back to them on this point.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

Cionn wrote: »
    Does anybody know the answer to that question. I got the phone at the weekend and am thinking of going back to them on this point.

C

AFAIK it does but I would advise taking a look at the T&Cs of the offer. I remember the last time they had the holiday voucher offer you had to book for a minimum of 2 weeks and also 2 people. No harm in going back in to get the voucher anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

5 gigs of data is really limited for a smart phone. Thats ignoring the fact that 4G might come in in the next year or so (which the iphone5 is ready for), then 5 gig will be nothing.

If you watch Netflix or something from your mobile (which is perfectly reasonable) you would go through 5 gigs in the space of a week.

Personally I think the 3 offer mentioned above, €20 per month with all you can eat data, is excellent. Im going to use that with my current iphone 3 then upgrade to a 4 in the next month or so and let the dust settle on the iphone5 hype and 4G comes on the market.

*Disclaimer
    All of above is just my opinion. :)

Advertisement