Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-toyota-corolla/6809393

Seems to be in good condition, could be got within banger budget, not sure what these should be going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

looks tasty. No mention of nikasil being sorted, but if its lasted this long without getting it done, it'd be safe would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,912 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Interslice wrote: »
    Didn't notice that. I would consider 900rpm high.

It's about 1350rpm - far too high for idle

I'd ring and ask about that before going to see the car
    Kaiser D wrote: »
    I did post a 07 Vectra 2.8 estate also

Yeah I remember that. Spectacular value for money. Would suit someone who doesn't make a habit of taxing their cars :D
    Give it a bit longer and we'll be seeing 08 Puntos, Pandas etc I reckon.

A good bit longer. Not this year. Not next year either. Particularly not if they are on lower cc tax than on the old system

It's bigger petrol cars with biggish engines that are bangernomics kings imho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah i'd say it'll be a while before we see any 08 cars go into bangernomics range.

Be a year or two before E90s get there even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

unkel wrote: »

I reckon the photo was taken before it went onto closed loop. Just idling fast after startup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Yeah I remember that. Spectacular value for money. Would suit someone who doesn't make a habit of taxing their cars :D

A good bit longer. Not this year. Not next year either. Particularly not if they are on lower cc tax than on the old system

It's bigger petrol cars with biggish engines that are bangernomics kings imho :)

Just give this a few months then,

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/the-campers-companion/6563024

:P

What in the world is that?

Claiming it has 4 seats is very optimistic :pac:

That said 4 people fit in my Panda easy peasy so anything is possible I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Boards rules mean I can't post url etc as I'm a newbie.....so see this as a vomit gif please.

Id rather walk than drive that yoke

That's not a car :p

Seriously though - it is damn cheap. For someone just needing something to go to church, local shop etc. Why the hell did they decide it was a good idea to put a diesel engine in it though? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

looks tasty. No mention of nikasil being sorted, but if its lasted this long without getting it done, it'd be safe would it?

The engine is still running - the Nikasil is sorted long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Seriously though - it is damn cheap. For someone just needing something to go to church, local shop etc. Why the hell did they decide it was a good idea to put a diesel engine in it though? :confused:

Cheap != Value.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1996-bmw-325-turbo-diesel-975/6785438

28710247.jpeg

No leather and atrocious alloys but looks clean and straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They are common in France, a few sold in the UK too along with some other models but they were mental money. They were supposed to be towed behind a camper van, so when you park at whatever camp site you can go to nearby villages etc in it rather than your camper.

They're classed as a motorbike/moped and can be driven by 16 year olds in the UK, and I assume here too.

No idea why they put a 500cc diesel engine in.

Aye. Heard about them before but never paid attention. Had a look earlier and the one you posted is very good value compared to others for sale in the UK. Why the 11BHP :rolleyes: diesel when you can get a 20BHP petrol engine though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

They are common in France, a few sold in the UK too along with some other models but they were mental money. They were supposed to be towed behind a camper van, so when you park at whatever camp site you can go to nearby villages etc in it rather than your camper.

They're classed as a motorbike/moped and can be driven by 16 year olds in the UK, and I assume here too.

No idea why they put a 500cc diesel engine in.
    Loads of those in Spain where they can be driven without a licence! Used by the very young and those who have lost their licence due to being a p¡ss-head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi

I have seen the saab as i always regretted getting rid of my previous 9000 2.3 turbo and was thinking about getting this one as a daily drive. There is some amount of work required before using it in comfort:

1. top engine dog bone mount needs replacing ( both Pieces) .

2 . front bumper re-attached as its loose on the drivers side

3. breather hose from rocker cover missing ( engine venting into air not good )

4. clutch biting very high

5. gearbox mount needs replacing

6. few other odds and sods from memory.

7. engine oil gloopy

but if your willing to put in a couple of hundred euros it could be worth it.

regards
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I'm very confused about this decision. It isn't even that my head is saying one thing and my heat another, both are sending mixed signals!!

The downsides of the Saab are:

- I'm trying to save money at the moment
    - It costs more than what payed for the Primera
    - It's less fuel efficient and petrol is dearer than Diesel
    - I would have to sell the Primera and that is made a bit tricky because of high milage and no NCT
    - The Primera has grown on me a bit and I actually quite like it :o

The upsides of the Saab are:
    - It has tax and the primera doesn't have tax
    - It has an NCT
    - It's a nicer car
    - It's faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

If they were so reliable, why did you need two?
    That's not a dig at you, I'm just genuinely curious.

Crashed the 1st into a hilux and the hilux won :D She had 200000 miles up on her at that stage and was going 100%. Used it as a donor car then for the 2nd one.

This seems cheap, something wrong with it? Not been insured in 6 months...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-new-model-polo-taxed-new-nct/6810442

28835984.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Moneymaker wrote: »
    This seems cheap, something wrong with it? Not been insured in 6 months...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-new-model-polo-taxed-new-nct/6810442

28835984.jpeg

There's 100,000 more miles on it than you think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Needs a head casket....

Wouldn't want to be caught dead in that...

aren't they tax exempt aswell so cheap runner there :D

aaronc182 wrote: »
    aren't they tax exempt aswell so cheap runner there :D

€102 per year

But only if you actually use it as a hearse in your business ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Needs a bit of haggling on the asking.
    Nice long test - June '15
    4 months tax - August '14
    Nice clean looking wagon.
    I assume he means one owner in Ireland as opposed to one owner from new..
    Asking €1,600

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-rav4-4x4-fresh-nct-0615-tax-0814/6763358

28598376.jpeg

Not a bad find, nearly €250 tax included in that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'03 95 2.0t
    Leather
    Test April '15
    Asking €1,700

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-2-0t-nct-just-passed/6768996

28629458.jpeg

• Advertisement

Nice! If the service history checks out (correct oil used frequently), it would make a decent, reliable, comfortable and safe motor

"Achieves 37 mpg driving reasonably"

It does. But only if you have a very light foot and only drive long distances on open roads. In other words, for most people that claim is bullsh1t :)

The engine is from the 70s, the car is heavy and it has a turbo charger. Does he really think we're gonna believe that?

I had a Saab 9-5 myself and last summer on a holiday to Wexford I drove it really gently and smoothly to see what I would get myself and over a 3 day trip I managed over 40MPG (not driving slowly, driving at least at the speed limits on motorways)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement