Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Old diesel wrote: »
    To be honest chaps - everyone has their own taste in cars - and that is a great thing really.

It's great that everyone has their own tastes, my problem stems from the lies they told to try to make the MR2 look bad.

This isn't a thread about "sports cars " and how everyone thatvliles and wants a car shoild be trying to get one though. It's about value under 2k.its not a I'm looking for an Mr2 thread and someone recommends an octavia, anything under 2k is a valid alternative here.

That MR2 is very very good value at that price and with NCT until 11/14 and as a bonus, tax until 5/14 it most definitely fits bangernomics criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This isn't a thread about "sports cars " and how everyone thatvliles and wants a car shoild be trying to get one though. It's about value under 2k.its not a I'm looking for an Mr2 thread and someone recommends an octavia, anything under 2k is a valid alternative here.

i understand how the thread works...

Bangeromics rules:
    Under €2000
    Valid NCT
    Something you'd actually drive yourself
    VRT paid

looks like the mr2 fits all those criteria. to offer the Saab may be a price comparison, but it is certainly not an alternative, a dog in the street could tell you that.

i can see the thread in here now, "went to a dealership to buy a used mr2, salesman kept pushing a 9-5 estate on me :rolleyes:".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Pity there are no interior shots but the fact the belt and water pump was done 20k ago is a big bonus.
    Get it for close to 1k and you are absolutely laughing. They are extremely rev happy and have some nice poke too.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I was thinking, TB done , saves a good few bob in the long run, nct til next year, bring some cash around the 1k mark and it's a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

rizzee wrote: »
    Brilliant!!

Getting happy that 156s are entering bangernomics territory as they're on the shortlist for my first car.

I believe 156's were in that territory for a while now ;)
    It's finding one that has actually been looked after thats the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

bear1 wrote: »

Wow. I'm not a fan of Alfas really, but that price! :eek:

• Advertisement

And it has the 140bhp engine which they say is the best compromise, climate control, traction control, leather, the front looks great, TB done and serviced AND NCT unil 08/15...
    It's a bargain pure and simple.
    I just wish I could find out if it was taxed :)

Jasus lads i'd love an Alfa. Beautiful cars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

rizzee wrote: »
    Jasus lads i'd love an Alfa. Beautiful cars

I'd take that Colt of yours any day over that 156. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

If you look closely at the photos of that Alfa it has lots of big dents etc...
    Been for sale weeks now.

GvidoR wrote: »
    I'd take that Colt of yours any day over that 156. :P

And I would be of the complete opposite.
    Kaiser D wrote: »
    If you look closely at the photos of that Alfa it has lots of big dents etc...
    Been for sale weeks now.

Yep there is one dent on the rear right hand side door and one on the boot.
    Well worth the money IMO. If it has been on sale weeks then you could surely get it lower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Is the money not a bit strong on that charisma? They don't seem to fetch good money at all.

Also the seller says it's the same 1.3 engine that's in the lancer. While this engine is very reliable, its gutless in the lancer so it must be woeful in the charisma. Also in the lancer it's mated to a lovely smooth Mitsubishi gearbox, you would think Mitsubishi would use the same box in the charisma but oh no in their wisdom they only had to go and use a renualt gearbox in the charisma, a gearbox which can only be described as awful.

Seems to be testing the water with the price alright. He might get decent money for it with the cheap tax though. Worth about 13/1400 I reckon. An engine conversion would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Whats the 156 petrol like on reliability and economy?

The girlfriend be looking for her first car in a few months and I'm trying to push towards the 159 JDTM if money allows make her car the sensible economical family car and keep my car as the gas guzzling fun car :).

But very well could be looking at bangernomics territory yet for her 1st car yet and do like the 156.

Whats the 156 petrol like on reliability and economy?

The girlfriend be looking for her first car in a few months and I'm trying to push towards the 159 JDTM if money allows make her car the sensible economical family car and keep my car as the gas guzzling fun car :).

But very well could be looking at bangernomics territory yet for her 1st car yet and do like the 156.

Economy wise, I heard if you drive it uber gently you might see 38 mpg.
    Generally though I think you are looking at 33mpg combined.
    Reliability it all depends on how the previous owner cared for it. Neglect it and it will break your heart.
    Judging by that ad I would wager it was maintained properly, cosmetically maybe not so much.
    If you do the belts and oil in time then the car should do you well.
    Alfas love frequent oil changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The 156s when new didn't have a great rep for reliability

BUT

I would expect a lot of the REALLY troublesome examples to have either a) been fixed during their lifetime - or b) to have been scrapped by now. I can't say though if this is actually the case or not - and id be inclined to be off the view to take a lot of care and attention if considering buying one now

One of the big issues on them that helped create their reputation - was from what I remember - Alfa recommending a 72,000 mile interval for the timing belt (to appeal to fleet customers maybe) - but 156s suffered broken belts before getting to the 72,000 mile.

Not sure if Alfa changed the timing belt interval to 36,000 miles subsequently - but from what ive read on forums - its seems a 36,000 mile interval is seen as best practice on a 156.

Best of luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Now THIS is how you bangernomics :cool::cool::cool::cool:

That MR2 is lovely

(Edit: picture part of quote removed)

• Advertisement

^^ TAKE COVER!!!!!!!!!!

bear1 wrote: »
    I believe 156's were in that territory for a while now ;)
    It's finding one that has actually been looked after thats the issue.

I think that's for sale a long time. Looks familiar but the picture of the damage is new. Probably a fixerupper in reality.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-ford-fiesta-new-nct-tax-/6758201

28570994.jpeg

01 fiesta ex condt..passed nct yesterday..full nct to 04/15..taxed to july..only 2 owners...3 keys..all ford books in glove box..alloys a/c..always serviced..tb done last year..great on fuel 1.2cc..no txts....e/w
    Price: € 875

Interslice wrote: »
    I think that's for sale a long time. Looks familiar but the picture of the damage is new. Probably a fixerupper in reality.

28570994.jpeg

Ah now, 2 dents hardly makes it a fixerupper :p
    Besides it fully meets this threads requirements :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Interslice wrote: »

28570994.jpeg

Great little yokes! Once there's no rust it should keep going for ages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

And another Alfa....http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156/6779268

Cheap and has test until next year.
    Go over it with a fine tooth comb however.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I thought the purpose of Bangernomics was a car that you could buy, drive and then sell on, and not lose a lot of money.

That MR2 would swallow every cent ya have in constant repairs.

Definitely not bangernomics in my opnion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Quazzie wrote: »
    I thought the purpose of Bangernomics was a car that you could buy, drive and then sell on, and not lose a lot of money.

If it meets the thread criteria - then it fully deserves to be here imo - and I personally welcome its presence here.

Now if people feel some cars don't meet the criteria - then be all means ask for the tread criteria to be filled.

Personally - I feel the tread criteria is fine - and should stay unchanged - so if MR2 meets criteria - I welcome it.

What problems you expecting considering it's NCT'd a few months ago?

Needs a seperate "mk1 mr2, bangernomics?" thread at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Why would it? Simple mechanicals from the late 80's and that engine is very reliable. You could definitely buy that car and sell it for the same next year imo

• Advertisement

Can a separate thread be made about the MR2?
    Getting tiring having to go through the posts complaining about that particular car.
    I thought the whole point of this thread was to post something that is road legal, under 2k and is something that the poster would actually drive.
    The poster has made it clear he/she would, now can we either leave it at that or create a separate thread so that those who don't care about the car don't have to keep seeing it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement