Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You're right, not great wheels or general spec either.
    Still, 2.5 with leather and a MFSW for 950. Not too bad compared to others in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even if it did burn oil, how bad would that be? Top it up with 1l (€5) once in a while and enjoy your €800 ultimate driving machine until it dies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexcus/6752444

Or... for 50e less (without haggling you could get something, once cleaned up, much nice, quicker and much better spec'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

unkel wrote: »
    Even if it did burn oil, how bad would that be? Top it up with 1l (€5) once in a while and enjoy your €800 ultimate driving machine until it dies :D

Burning oil is a good thing. My jalopy burns about a litre every 2,000 miles, and I check it every 500, topping up by a couple hundred cc if needed. I use a good full-synth for the top-ups, so as the year progresses the quality of the oil carried gets higher, and is effectively changed once again between annual services.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bear1 wrote: »
    Or... for 50e less (without haggling you could get something, once cleaned up, much nice, quicker and much better spec'd!

Quicker? Are you joking? It's a lot slower. Even on a straight line. Nice car and all those GS300 but you can't compare it to a 325i. The only two things those cars have in common are RWD and a straight 6 engine :P

• Advertisement

Quicker? Are you joking? It's a lot slower. Even on a straight line. Nice car and all those GS300 but you can't compare it to a 325i. The only two things those cars have in common are RWD and a straight 6 engine :P

The dirt makes it quicker :P
    Those GS's I think make out close to 220bhp and the BMW is 190 odd bhp.
    Bet yeah they are a much heavier car so the extra power is lost.
    I'd still rather the Lexus though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭RayCon

bear1 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexcus/6752444

lexcus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I was being a bit negative. True enough, you could just get the 10w40 from lidl and keep topping it up. My mates 6 pot e46(120k miles) burns a litre every 400 miles and he's still putting expensive oil into it. No sign of blue smoke or anything though, car runs perfectly. You be doing well to get a better car than that for 800. Hopefully just a few cosmetic issues driving the price down.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car-for-sale/6762107

28591689.jpeg

Longish test and a few months tax. 1175 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

It would be come NCT time and busted catalytic converter + high emissions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Peanut2011 wrote: »

I've an alfa that burns some oil (they all do I think) - probably in the region of 1l per 1k miles and it flew through the NCT. Not sure if they're mutually exclusive. I top up weekly - it's part my Saturday morning routine at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Peanut2011 wrote: »

Nah, not necessarily. In my experience, of older yokes anyway, they'd nearly want to be using as much oil as fuel before buggering up the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^^Loving the Audis, If I were in the market for a respectable everyday retro runaround sort car the Audi 80 TDI would possibly be number one on my list.

Keeping it old skool, and for the Toyota fans on the thread, as I know there are a few (myself included):

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-carina-2-new-n-c-t-/5989113

A clean looking 1991 Carina II 1.6 litre, NCT'd until next September. With the obligatory towbar and asking €875. Shame there is no mention of mileage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Very nice Carina. Looks a honest seller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

^^^Loving the Audis, If I were in the market for a respectable everyday retro runaround sort car the Audi 80 TDI would possibly be number one on my list.

Keeping it old skool, and for the Toyota fans on the thread, as I know there are a few (myself included):

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-carina-2-new-n-c-t-/5989113

A clean looking 1991 Carina II 1.6 litre, NCT'd until next September. With the obligatory towbar and asking €875. Shame there is no mention of mileage though.

That cars been for sale for a good while. Me thinks its not as good as it looks. If you look at the pic of the backseat you will see that the arch is sprayed blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's my neighbour selling that if anyone is interested in buying that Carina I can have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Good spot InspectorJohnBoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That cars been for sale for a good while. Me thinks its not as good as it looks. If you look at the pic of the backseat you will see that the arch is sprayed blue.

Something to check out further for sure - id be inclined to think though that what ever happened to the arch was localised to that area.

What I mean is - if the rear wing etc had been damaged - and it was resprayed - youd expect the arch to have been done too (if it was a case that replacement rear quarter etc - came off a blue car :confused:

Thing that spring to mind is that - that section of the arch MAY have been rusty and thus was cut out and replaced with the blue arch section of a Blue Carina II.

Its a bit odd though - as whatever happened the original - its odd that the new section of arch was never resprayed :confused:

hence why I would suspect it may have been rust

They were never noted for bad rust afaik - these Carina IIs - but they are getting old now - and ive seen them with rust on the bottom of the windscreen pillar before now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Good spot InspectorJohnBoy.

Sharp out. I would have no more than spotted that. Does raise questions alright. You would have thought he would have shifted it by now so at that price if its being up for a while, unless he dropped the price significantly.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's my neighbour selling that if anyone is interested in buying that Carina I can have a look.

You do realise how small a country we live in when you see such comments:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

This one's only up for four hours and already it's had nearly a thousand views on DD:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0-petrol-n-c-t-tax/6768078

[IMG][/img]ScreenShot2014-04-12at180352_zps378de82b.png

It's obviously a scam.

You'd think they'd be a bit more subtle about it.

If that was listed at 2,500 the phone would be ringing non stop. 750? Really?

I'd wager that that particular car isn't in Ireland either...
    I'd agree with Moneymaker, either it's a scam or the car is a complete bag of ****e... or simply forgot to put a 1 before 750.
    I mean 750 and open to offers. Feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It's obviously a scam.
    You mean someone wouldn't really tax a car for a full 12 months before putting it up for sale for only €400 more than the tax cost? Darn. :pac:

Top Dog wrote: »
    You mean someone wouldn't really tax a car for a full 12 months before putting it up for sale for only €400 more than the tax cost? Darn. :pac:

Well you see ads like this all the time.

Some people are obviously fooled otherwise they wouldn't go up.

1000 views, i'm sure there's at least 1 tool stupid enough to be suckered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

302883.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement