Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulling Heifers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

quadboy wrote: »
    I hope fixed time Ai is different to estrumating
    Very different.
    We started Ai the heifers last Monday and Ai'd 60% in 7 days. We then estrumated the remaining heifers on Monday and only had 3 today but expect to be busy tomorrow and Thursday, bulls will then clean up.

We are tailpainting the cows in am and starting ai tomorrow, so busy 2 mths ahead.

Planning on estrumating the heifers this week, was wondering is early feb too early for heifers to be calving,wouldn't buyers prefer an early calving heifer.
    Have you started ai yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

Im planning on using estrumate then use scratchcards to know whats bulling, gona stick a bullock in with them too, does this sound good

delaval wrote: »
    Have you started ai yet?
    Not yet their being moved tomorrow and hopefully injected tomorrow evening or Thursday

Im planning on using estrumate then use scratchcards to know whats bulling, gona stick a bullock in with them too, does this sound good
    Not a good idea. If a heifer was bulling in the last week est useless and will have to be done again.
    I suggest ai for 7 days and est on day 7 bullock may be a help

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose, ill try them for the week so and see what gets done, the main reason why I wanted to est was to get em done quick cos small enough field but I can move them to a field closer to home if I move things around and use crush in the shed

Yeah I suppose, ill try them for the week so and see what gets done, the main reason why I wanted to est was to get em done quick cos small enough field but I can move them to a field closer to home if I move things around and use crush in the shed
    Your numbers will be dropping daily. Move all ai'd animals away as you serve. If you are really short of feed give them nuts, feed them well and all will be well. You need to watch well or use kmar/scratchcard not paint as it doesn't work on heifers. Our heifers are 20 miles away and we find scratch cards ok perhaps not as good as kmar. I will post picture tomorrow when we get there to do ai.

20 miles jesus mine are only goin a mile out the road and to be fair theres two fields side by side with a nice bit of grass. used the scratchcards last year so will be using them again and theres only 12 to do, they should get at least two weeks out there

20 miles jesus mine are only goin a mile out the road and to be fair theres two fields side by side with a nice bit of grass. used the scratchcards last year so will be using them again and theres only 12 to do, they should get at least two weeks out there
    You'll be well finished by then. Are you going to ai repeats?

Yeah don't have any bull, do you stick new cards on ones served to c if they repeat or just stick them in with the bull

• Advertisement

We put with bull 2 days after ai so they have cooled down and in case we had a false heat(our mistake)
    You should return heifers to these paddocks in 18 days after you ai first one and repeats will come together. Some of the ones you inject may not come bulling as they may not be fully mature so maybe keep near yard with bullock and watch well.

We put with bull 2 days after ai so they have cooled down and in case we had a false heat(our mistake)
    You should return heifers to these paddocks in 18 days after you ai first one and repeats will come together. Some of the ones you inject may not come bulling as they may not be fully mature so maybe keep near yard with bullock and watch well.
    The youngest is 14 months old

15 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Repeats need to be checked between 15 to 27 days after first ai.

Not a good idea. If a heifer was bulling in the last week est useless and will have to be done again.
    I suggest ai for 7 days and est on day 7 bullock may be a help
    The vet gave the same advice so ill let them work away on their own for a while

The vet gave the same advice so ill let them work away on their own for a while

I'm not as dear

A fella told me that you can get a heifer repeating a lot if you estrumate, is that true

A fella told me that you can get a heifer repeating a lot if you estrumate, is that true
    I don't know TBH. Make a plan and follow and don't be worried what fellas tell you because a fella probably told him:rolleyes:

I don't know TBH. Make a plan and follow and don't be worried what fellas tell you because a fella probably told him:rolleyes:
    Yeah he was going by what fellsa told him and he said he didn't like early calving heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Yeah he was going by what fellsa told him and he said he didn't like early calving heifers
    we would try and have the heifers calving down as early as possible. Main calving starts from christmas on and would aim to have them calving down end of nov to early december. it doesnt always work that way but.
    Never heard of heifers repeating a lot with estrumate, always seems to work alright with us. if it was me i would aim to have them calving down as early as possible.

• Advertisement

1chippy wrote: »
    we would try and have the heifers calving down as early as possible. Main calving starts from christmas on and would aim to have them calving down end of nov to early december. it doesnt always work that way but.
    Never heard of heifers repeating a lot with estrumate, always seems to work alright with us. if it was me i would aim to have them calving down as early as possible.
    Ah shur you know what these old timers are like

Advertisement